Simple newbie questions
I'm pretty sure these have been answered before and I could've done some more lurking, but then again most of the threads I find are from 2008 and I figured things might have changed along the years and maybe someone will feel glad to help, so I'll just ask anyway.

First, what's the explanation on interleaving? Do games benefit from the extra visual sharpness, the illusion of slightly increased resolution, or is it just a performance thing? I noticed that in some games with low native resolution using weave tff/bff will somewhat make things look sharper.
Also, is the ps2 hardware able to do deinterleacing? I noticed that newer CAVE shooters such as Ibara and Mushimesama use interleaving in the emulator, but when played on the real thing it looks motion blurred, almost kinda like the Blend bff/tff filter. OR am I just seeing things?
Out of curiosity, why do so many games use it?

Second, dumb question, technically European games run at 50hz or 50fps in PAL-M mode but they still seem to run at more or less the same speed as NTSC games anyway. Since it's technically rendering 10 frames less, does running in PAL mode give it a small performance boost?

Third, I'm sure this was answered by the sticky, does pcsx2 benefit in anyway from multiple CPU cores without enabling the MTVU speedhack at all? Is it better to have a single core with lots of ghz of clock or multiple cores running at a lower clock?

Also, can I edit hotkeys? Assign custom hotkeys to other menu functions, such as toggling null renderer or something?
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored links

(03-23-2014, 05:01 PM)ejxdmocu Wrote: I'm pretty sure these have been answered before and I could've done some more lurking, but then again most of the threads I find are from 2008 and I figured things might have changed along the years and maybe someone will feel glad to help, so I'll just ask anyway.

First, what's the explanation on interleaving? Do games benefit from the extra visual sharpness, the illusion of slightly increased resolution, or is it just a performance thing? I noticed that in some games with low native resolution using weave tff/bff will somewhat make things look sharper.
Also, is the ps2 hardware able to do deinterleacing? I noticed that newer CAVE shooters such as Ibara and Mushimesama use interleaving in the emulator, but when played on the real thing it looks motion blurred, almost kinda like the Blend bff/tff filter. OR am I just seeing things?
Out of curiosity, why do so many games use it?

Second, dumb question, technically European games run at 50hz or 50fps in PAL-M mode but they still seem to run at more or less the same speed as NTSC games anyway. Since it's technically rendering 10 frames less, does running in PAL mode give it a small performance boost?

Third, I'm sure this was answered by the sticky, does pcsx2 benefit in anyway from multiple CPU cores without enabling the MTVU speedhack at all? Is it better to have a single core with lots of ghz of clock or multiple cores running at a lower clock?

Also, can I edit hotkeys? Assign custom hotkeys to other menu functions, such as toggling null renderer or something?
Thanks in advance.

1) blend tff and bff is just a type of filter so its not doing anything with resolution !
2)using mutiple core cpu is definatly benifit the game rather than using single core cpu !
Afaik ,more cores =more speed !more Ghz only usefull when your core is more then 1 !

Maybe you cant able to edit hotkeys !
Core i3 9100f 3.6Ghz
RAM=8GB
nvidia GT 1030
pcsx2 version-1.3.1  
(03-23-2014, 05:34 PM)Brock lessner Wrote: 1) blend tff and bff is just a type of filter so its not doing anything with resolution !
2)using mutiple core cpu is definatly benifit the game rather than using single core cpu !
Afaik ,more cores =more speed !more Ghz only usefull when your core is more then 1 !

Maybe you cant able to edit hotkeys !

But why do so many games use interleaving?
I know that Saturn games when running in hi res mode are forced to do it so I was wondering if the PS2 hardware did something similar.

Also I'm not sure if interleaving is the correct name for the effect I'm thinking of.

EDIT: This is the sort of effect I'm thinking about.
You know, the weird line thing in between "frames".

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Wahey, double post!
Here, one more screenshot to illustrate my point, what I'm trying to get at.

Both pics are running in native res, only difference is that one is using weaving deinterlacing and the other is using none.
Notice the ground textures. Textures, polygon edges and whatnot look much clearer with deinterlacing. I'm not sure but I think the actual console made things somehow look better by shaking the whole screen, taking advantage of old tube tv's motion blurring.

I wish someone could clarify the technical points of this.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(03-23-2014, 05:52 PM)ejxdmocu Wrote: But why do so many games use interleaving?
I know that Saturn games when running in hi res mode are forced to do it so I was wondering if the PS2 hardware did something similar.

Also I'm not sure if interleaving is the correct name for the effect I'm thinking of.

EDIT: This is the sort of effect I'm thinking about.
You know, the weird line thing in between "frames".
1?-I know that Saturn games when running in hi res mode are forced to do it so I was wondering if the PS2 hardware did something similar.
Ans- due to low power hardware ! Ps2 only have 4mb of video ram!
i guess , you are talking about interlacing ! Right?
So, ps2 interlace 320x244 frames thats why you get those lines ! (im not sure about that)

The actual console have a type of filter which make image sharper and clear !
Core i3 9100f 3.6Ghz
RAM=8GB
nvidia GT 1030
pcsx2 version-1.3.1