Skylake mobile processor thoughts
hello everyone, long-time lurker here. first and foremost, i just want to thank the devs and the staff for creating pcsx2. reliving the past never felt so good. my question is about the new intel i7 6700HQ. I was planning to buy a gaming laptop 2 months back and I asked in the pinned "will pcsx2" thread for some feedback regarding my choices. I was set on buying the Asus ROG GL551JW-71 after a few days thinking about the subject. However, some of the laptop companies have refreshed their lineup by installing a 6700HQ from what was the 4720HQ.

my question is is it worth getting the refreshed lineup considering that it is a new architecture or should i stick with the older models with the 4720HQ? i ask this because when i looked up the STR rating of the processors, the 4720HQ just clobbers the 6700HQ with an STR of 1949 while the 6700HQ has an STR of 1697. from what i read about, the STR plays a huge part in how fast you can run the emulator and most would say to look for a processor with an STR of 1800+ to be able to play most of the popular demanding games fluently. perhaps someone who has a skylake processor could enlighten us on this? thank you.

Sponsored links

In this case, STR is king. I'd get the haswell chip, though the battery life wont' be as good.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
(10-12-2015, 05:03 PM)Nobbs66 Wrote: In this case, STR is king. I'd get the haswell chip, though the battery life wont' be as good.

thanks for this. battery life shouldn't be an issue for me since i usually play plugged in. i would go for a desktop but my job requires me to travel frequently thus the need for a gaming laptop. keeping my fingers crossed that the prices of the old models would come down with the launch of the Skylake refresh.
(10-12-2015, 05:16 PM)anton2k4 Wrote: thanks for this. battery life shouldn't be an issue for me since i usually play plugged in. i would go for a desktop but my job requires me to travel frequently thus the need for a gaming laptop. keeping my fingers crossed that the prices of the old models would come down with the launch of the Skylake refresh.

Performance didn't go up much since Sandy/Ivy Bridge (like 3630qm et al), but mostly just use less battery/power. Ivy Bridge CPUs are still far from dirt cheap, so I don't think you should hold your breath on this. Besides, it's a never ending wait, since there's always something newer around the corner.

Just get something which works for you now and enjoy it for the next few years at least.
Strange that it scores that much lower at similar clock speed and tdp, with a 2 year newer architecture. Maybe passmark isn't the most accurate test? I wonder if anyone's ran our bench on one.

edit - Here's a comparison from another site.
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Int...54vsm20045
Look like the 6700 handles floating points a lot faster and is a little slower with integers.

The 6700hq will also have a considerably better igpu, which probably doens't matter, but it's a nice bonus.
(10-12-2015, 06:41 PM)dogen Wrote: Strange that it scores that much lower at similar clock speed and tdp, with a 2 year newer architecture. Maybe passmark isn't the most accurate test? I wonder if anyone's ran our bench on one.

Look like the 6700 handles floating points a lot faster and is a little slower with integers.

The 6700hq will also have a considerably better igpu, which probably doens't matter, but it's a nice bonus.

yeah, I'm going to see how PCSX2 performance correlates with Single thread cinebench
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
(10-12-2015, 06:41 PM)dogen Wrote: Strange that it scores that much lower at similar clock speed and tdp, with a 2 year newer architecture. Maybe passmark isn't the most accurate test? I wonder if anyone's ran our bench on one.

it stumped me as well since from what i could see on the tech sheet, the 6700hq should be the direct successor of the 4700hq and the 5700hq. at the very least it should be as good as the 4720hq. i'm not as savvy a tech person as the others but i don't think a change in architecture should lead to such a large disparity in STR.

Nobbs66, Hope your tests could shed light on this matter. As for the laptop, might hold it off until december comes around and the stores start their christmas sales. hopefully by that time, there should be more info on this which should help me choose what proccy to get.
just bumping the thread in case anyone wants to share their thoughts.