Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slow Frame Rate Question
Hello Everyone,
I am new to this website and using Emulators in general.

I have recently gotten interested in playing my old games on the computer using the PCSX2 0.9.6 emulator. I used the guide to configure the emulator (hopefully the right way) and tested it on Shadow of the Colossus.

Here are some basic computer specs (All Stock):
Windows 7 Pro
AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 Ghz
4 GB of RAM
ATI 5830

The problem:
When I play on native resolution and windowed mode (no speed hacks), I get about 30-40 fps after the movies in the beginning of the game.

I'm not quite sure what to expect, but I thought I would get better results then this with my specs. I am using the ISO form of the game on my hardrive (not sure if running from the hardrive or from dvd drive would make huge difference.)

So my question is, are these results right? Maybe I am not configuring something properly if not. Maybe my whole computer isin't configured properly even since I built it lol Huh Anyways, please let me know what you guys think and I can give additional information if necessary.

Thanks, Z

Sponsored links

This game is of the most demanding ones in PCSX2, try the "VU Cycle Stealing" speedhack in the latest beta:
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-PCSX2-off...ta-plugins
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
Hello and thank you for the timely response.

I downloaded the new version and ran the game on native with no hacks using the DirectX 11 Hardware configuration and it still seemed to be at a lower FPS (I am using NTSC mode). However I used that specific hack that you mentioned and the game ran at the max FPS on native, but I had to use the second level of the hack. It even works at fastest FPS when I changed internal resolution to 1400 x 1050 Biggrin (I have not tried anything better then that yet however). I usually play computer games at 1920 x 1080, but I do not expect to achieve this with the emulator.

Thank you for the help, my processor is a quad core running at 3.411 ghz each and the video card is very high end (in case you didn't look them up or didn't know).

Few other questions though, as I run around the game on the horse, my (EE) value or cpu is normally 90-100% usage and my (GS) value or graphics card is normally 30-55% usage (I am guessing that is what those values mean anyway); first question is will that much usage damage my cpu or graphics card? Do those values seem correct for my specs? I am open to learning on this subject so if you or anyone else has any advice, please let me know.

(I am not sure if my Catalyst Control Center that comes with ATI cards is affecting anything? - Just throwing that info out there.)

Thanks, Z
(12-23-2010, 01:21 AM)ZCOH Wrote: Few other questions though, as I run around the game on the horse, my (EE) value or cpu is normally 90-100% usage and my (GS) value or graphics card is normally 30-55% usage (I am guessing that is what those values mean anyway); first question is will that much usage damage my cpu or graphics card? Do those values seem correct for my specs? I am open to learning on this subject so if you or anyone else has any advice, please let me know.

PCSX2 mainly uses 2 threads/cores. The GS% value represents the thread used by the GS plugin on your CPU (GS is the second thread and the main being the EE thread) and can also say if your graphics card is being the bottleneck, with your CPU being a quad core it would show as 32-35% CPU load if you check the task manager.
The EE/GS% just say the load so they won't cause any more damage than any other app that's causing load on your CPU or graphics card. The values currently say your CPU is the bottleneck (most specifically the first core) and that's about it.

Quote:(I am not sure if my Catalyst Control Center that comes with ATI cards is affecting anything? - Just throwing that info out there.)

Not affecting anything most probably.
Alright I believe I understand your answers, I just recently started messing with emulators so I am not too familiar with them; I should have read what those values meant before assuming anything, but I have just been so excited to get this working well lol.

Actually the more I think about it, I am a little confused because in the rendering section of the GS I chose hardware which uses the graphics card for that part.. I guess I don't understand how the 2nd thread and the graphics card are working together?

One other question too... Anyway to remove that cpu bottleneck or is over-clocking the only option?

Thanks so much for the support, Z
The plugin using the hardware renderer still uses the CPU and uses the graphics card at the same time to accelerate some things since there's stuff that can't be done by the graphics card alone.

OVerclocking or using speedhacks or lower compatibility settings in the emulator can reduce the CPU bottleneck a bit.

Take a look at the configuration guide:
http://pcsx2.net/guide.php
Yes I have used the guide a bit, but I will read over it more and make sure I understand every part of it. (Or try anyway lol Laugh.)

I don't really want to use too many speed-hacks because of the possible glitches, but I will continue using the one you mentioned lol. Smile

As long as I am receiving about 60 fps on NTSC mode the heavy 1st thread usage or "bottleneck" should not cause any problems?

Thanks, Z

(Another thing I wanted to add)
I was looking through the CPU benchmarks and they are all using software settings (for renderer) in their set-ups meaning that no external gpu is being used to help cpu. Check this result:

47.69 FPS - SLUS 20672 - AMD Phenom II x4 955 - 3.2 GHz Stock- Ryner Lute

I know they are using a different game then I but supposedly FF is one of the most intense games for a system. The reason I think something is wrong is because I have the same processor except the higher version 965 black edition and I did not get a FPS that good on my game even with using help from a GPU. Of course I didn't close out background programs, but I am not sure it would make that much of a difference. I don't understand how results like this were achieved? Is it because it's a different game?

And I mean results without using speed-hacks, I believe they agreed to not using them in the benchmark.

Thanks, Z
That benchmark thread tests an entirely different scenario. You can't compare them Tongue2

The game you're playing is known to be slow.
I expect your machine to reach no more than 30FPS in the intro (where the title screen shows).
That is with EE cycle rate and VU cycle stealing speed hacks off.

Simply play with the EE and VU speedhacks a bit until you find a setting that works for you.
It won't run perfect but it's the next best option you have.
(12-23-2010, 02:42 AM)ZCOH Wrote: 47.69 FPS - SLUS 20672 - AMD Phenom II x4 955 - 3.2 GHz Stock- Ryner Lute

I know they are using a different game then I but supposedly FF is one of the most intense games for a system. The reason I think something is wrong is because I have the same processor except the higher version 965 black edition and I did not get a FPS that good on my game even with using help from a GPU.

Different game, different system, different results.

The scene for the benchmark was chosen because it doesn't impact the GS thread much and it's not rendering 3d and then you can use the software renderer without much of a problem and it's just to be taken as a reference. You should only compare to that if using the same game, scene and settings as the benchmark.
Thanks so much guys, you are both being very helpful to me and I appreciate your efforts to provide me with this knowledge.

Maybe sometime I will try to do the CPU test exactly like they were to be able to compare. Hehe Smile

Just want to make sure the cpu EE thread bottleneck (running near 100%) won't cause any problems or damage and is acceptable as long as I am at the max 60 FPS?