Slow Speeds on High End PC
So I'm missing out on full effects of emulation by going lower. Ballhair Sad

Sponsored links

(07-04-2017, 08:54 AM)dickster7000 Wrote: I also notice while looking in my task manager that my CPU fluctuates from 1.50 to 2.50 during these games. It doesn't stay at a constant speed or get near its 3.40 limit. Nor the 4.0 boost. Speedstep is disabled, power settings are on high performance (min and max %100) on processor and temp is at 42 C constant. Am i throttling? Is it because its a non K model?

if GHZ of you cpu going up and down when pcsx2 is running Intel Speed Step is not disable which why you getting the slow down., Unless Intel or Mobo manufacture, has disabled non k cpu from disable intel speed step. But I guarantee you  Intel speed step  enabled if your ghz are going up and down at will like that, it's why you getting those random slow down which has nothing to do with HT issue that resolved with newer Microcodes, or the VS issue that also fixed the gits not sure about 1.4 which i think had something to do with microcode issue, cause I never had such issue with software mode on my 6700k from day 1.

if it was disable the Windows 10/7/8 power setting for min/max processor state setting would be ignored, 100% disable it if it enabled in bios
I have extra setting called "maximum processor frequency" not sure what is supposed to do but that is set at 0 mhz and I Get no fluctuation ghz in any program apparnt from turbo kicking in which then my cpu goes from 4ghz to 4.2ghz, my Intel Speed Step is enabled in bios by disable by windows 10 power plan.
Tsunami, is there anything I can do at all? My UEFI says speedstep is disabled. Is there any other way to disable it? My Maximum Processor Frequency is also at 0 mhz in power settings. And what about the C states? Will that help any?
I have disabled thermal throttling and turned off C states on my UEFI. Still fluctuating speeds. SpeeFan says my CPU temp is 41 C. It also says core 0 is at 91 C. is this bad? Should I re enable them?
91 seems high , it seems you are throttling.
Can you get HWMonitor and check the temps on it ?
(07-05-2017, 07:41 AM)dickster7000 Wrote: I have disabled thermal throttling and turned off C states on my UEFI. Still fluctuating speeds. SpeeFan says my CPU temp is 41 C. It also says core 0 is at 91 C. is this bad? Should I re enable them?

That dont sound right any core is hitting 91c you are throttling, which would explain why  ghz are going up and down if intel speed step is disabled. please tell me your not using a Stock coole or some 20$ cooler , actual i dont think they even come with cooler? i know my 6700k didnt, what cooler you have it?, might wana think about re siting the hsf and maybe replying the thermal paste, I have Noctua NH-D14 on my 6700k

What temps do Aida64/HWinfo64 say for cpu temp and individual cores? they always reported correct temps for me for as long as i used them, HW monitor is good to, but i stop using it when I started using hwinfo64

would also put thermal throttling back on in the bios, its there to keep cpu from frying it self from heat.

Running pcsx2 imo is like stress testing computer parts,

Idle on my desktop which keep my cpu at 4ghz cpu is 31c, in most games and pcsx2 which put cpu at 4.2ghz with turbo is 45-50c if that, and individual cpu cores with in the cpu are usual 10-15c higher. but 91c for individual cores way to high and if your cpu is reporting 91c you got problems cause that means individual cores much higher.
Called it Tongue2

Did you buy a delidded cpu? If you did, I'd take that back or get the paste/liquid metal reapplied,because they've obviously done a lousy job. If not then it sounds like reapplying your thermal paste under the heatsink might be a good idea, but as said above, hopefully you aren't using the stock junk heatsink
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Guilty as charged. I am using the stock cooler. It had its own thermal paste layer on front. I was told that would be fine and that I would never need to reapply since I'm not doing any OCing. I've been running it like that for a year. I thought it silly to get a better cooler for a non k CPU. But heat is still heat. And no sir, its not delidded. I got it from an online retailer.

Sitting at idle withing nothing going on my cpu temp is at 35 C and core 0 is at 52 C. My other cores are just a few degrees under that. What is reasoning behind this?

I was also actually able to get better frames using Async mode. I know it can hang some titles but its a lifesaver to my ears.

So I'm guessing my option is to get more efficient cooling. What is recommended that won't slaughter my bank account? Liquid cooling? Or just a better cooler?

And here is my current setting:

Hyperthreading is disabled
Speedstep is disabled
C1e is disabled
C6 is disabled.

I'm getting much better performance now. But am i going wrong with any of these settings?
And lastly, thank you thank you thank you thank you for bearing with me. CPU is new territory to me. I'm bit obsessive here because a lot of my favorite games when I was in high school were on PS2. To be able to play them with awesome quality is a treasure. Thanks again!
No problem Smile

Hmm so it is reporting your overall CPU temp at 35C but the individual cores are actually all around 50? TBH that's even hot for a stock cooler, when was the last time you cleaned it or checked for dust under the fan? I would expect it to hit 70c on each core with the stock cooler when running at stock speeds, but not 90+

FYI that thermal paste you get on stock coolers is junk. It could be an idea to get yourself some Arctic Cooling MX-4, wipe off the cpu and the heatsink, put a pea sized blob of that on there and reapply the heatsink (intel ones are a pain in the ass to apply though)

The best solution however is to go for a better cooler, if you have the clearance the Coolermaster Hyper 212 cooler is a very good cooler and very popular amongst builders on a budget.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]