Slow gameplay but fine fps?
Hey guys. I am going to say this right off the bat; I am VERY new to emulation. I don't really know exactly what I am doing, so bear with me please.
So I installed PCSX2 version 1.4.0. I first had a problem with a plugin, as it said that I needed to update a directx component or something. It told me to "click here" to update it, and it went to a page that had something to do with "Direct X June 2010" or something like that. I installed it, but the problem persisted and it just said it again. I then decided to install the plugins off the PCSX2 page for the gs, and I put them in the plugin folder and it worked. I put my copy of "Call Of Duty: The Big Red One" into the disc tray and launched the game. When the gameplay started, it was EXTREMELY slow motion. Not really like a slow fps thing, but like it was in a slow motion mode. Also, it gave a horrible sound, like a constant crackling robotic sound. I could here voices, but they were very slow too. I read up and was suggested to disable speedhacks, so I did, but the problem persisted. I have no clue what I am doing here, any suggestions? I figured that if my computer could run Battlefront 2 on Steam, then it could run an old PS2 game, right? I am just not sure if it is a direct x problem or something else? Here are my system specs:

Windows 7 OS
8 gb RAM
Intel Core i5-2430M CPU @2.40 GHz
Intel HD Graphics 3000

Thank you guys for any support!

Sponsored links

Your CPU is too slow for that game. It won't be able to render it at full speed whatever you do.
Sorry
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(12-16-2016, 01:06 AM)jesalvein Wrote: Your CPU is too slow for that game. It won't be able to render it at full speed whatever you do.
Sorry

Oh okay... Sad haha. I just don't really understand how exactly that works though? Like, I can run like Rome: Total War and Battlefront 2 on this computer, so why can't it run a simple ps2 game? Please explain to me, I'm a noob lol.
Playing pc games and emulating are two different things. Emulation requires a lot more resources. Emulation requires very good single threaded performance 1400/1600 minimum and 2000 + recommended and a decent dedicated gpu. An igpu won't cut it.
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html
CPU: I7-4770 3.9GHZ
Motherboard: Asrock B85M - DGS
RAM: Hyper X Savage 2x8GB 1.6GHZ CL9
GPU: GTX1070 8GB GDDR5
Ps2 games are meant for ps2 consoles, it runs way different on an emulator. Of course pc games can run good on your computer (depending on specs) because they are made for pc.
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
Intel i7 4790k 4.00 Ghz

Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1080 8GB
16GB Ram
Direct X11

OpenGL version 4.6
Current resolution: 3840x2160
Well that makes me pretty sad lol, but thank you all for the answers. I appreciate it!
Quote:Playing pc games and emulating are two different things. Emulation requires a lot more resources. Emulation requires very good single threaded performance 1400/1600 minimum and 2000 + recommended and a decent dedicated gpu. An igpu won't cut it.

I'm not going to argue this.. I'm just going to caveat this a little bit. An Igpu can work if you have sufficient overhead in the processors STP to run the game.. but you're going to be running at native resolutions.. My system has a stp of right at 2100.. and running the integrated gpu I can do native resolution ok on the games that aren't too demanding.. BUT look at the amount of overhead I have. For example, ffx.. I have a cpu that has roughly 1300 stp, and I can play that game at native resolution at full speed.. most of the time, using the igpu.. BUT.. my gpu is a major drawback. I have to enable speed hacks, etc to get it to work right. Going to a processor that is much faster, I don't have the same issues.. IF I had a dedicated GPU for the processor at 1300, I feel I could run the game completely through at 60 fps...

FFX is one of the easiest games on the system for emulation.. lowest hardware requirements.. as the games get more cpu intensive for emulation, that igpu really shows its faults and causes my system to just crawl. I'm not saying lightnings statement is wrong.. it really isn't.. its actually a very good rule of thumb to run by.. but there are exceptions to that rule .

That said, on the laptop I did that testing with... running at 60 fps required switching between hardware and software rendering depending on the part of the game (in battle or out, during cut scenes.. it really was a surprise it would do it at all). This, I repeat myself here, was on one of the easiest games to emulate from the ps2 collection...
amd tr 1950x                                                 amd ryzen 5 2500u
asrock x399 taichi                                         amd vega 8 
XFX Radeon rx570                                       16gb ddr 4 2400 ram
32gb gskill ddr4-3200                                   1tb nvme ssd
Debian Bullseye                                           480gb sata ssd
Custom loop water cooled                           HP envy x360
nzxt 340 case