Slow gameplay, normal FPS how do i fix it?
I have been trying to play some games but it seems the actual gameplay is slow/choppy despite having 60 FPS (100%) to 100 FPS (180%)

For example, Devil May Cry 1, 2 and 3 all seem to suffer from this problem. I can get 60 or more FPS, but the actualy game play is still very slow (running, jumping, attacking etc), almost as if playing games where game is running at 50% speed, even though the display says its 100% or more.

My specs are
AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core 2.8 Ghz
2 G DDR Ram
Windows 7 (Direct X 11)
Sparkle GT 220 Graphics card (supports Direct X 11)

Im able to run GOW 1 and 2 and KH 2 smoothly with smooth gameplay @ 60 FPS, but other games like the devil may cry's are slow movement even with excellent FPS

Is this due to the settings used for them? Anyone have any suggestions on how to augment this problem, either specifically for Devil may cry or just in general?

Sponsored links

On Speedhacks try to lower VU Cycle Stealing... It can sometimes mess up with your FPS

Edit: are you using latest betas?
[Image: fs.png]
Q9550 @ 3,33GHz Ninja
HD 3850
What pcsx2 settings do you use? If using speedhacks try turning them off.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
This happens when MicroVU hacks are used. The microVU hacks cause your FPS to be reported incorrectly. This messes up the frame limiting/skipping settings so you would expect to see strange results such as these.

As advised by other users, try disabling the speed hacks and see what kind of speeds you get. Hopefully the game runs ok without said speedhacks enabled.
Yeah speedhacks mess up fps counter pretty much. I need at least 90fps to have full speed in t5. But for some demanding games like tekken5 its a must be ..
Intel Dual Core E5200 @ 3,5ghz /gigabyte GF9500GT/2 GB RAM / ASRock P45XE/ Corsair CMPSU-400CXEU
Most speedhacks work by "underclocking" the virtual PS2 hardware. It's like running the game on a special PS2 that's running at 1/2th or 1/3rd the machine's normal clock speeds (like 150mhz instead of 300mhz). So yeah, that's why many games end up running sluggishly via speedhacks. Other games simply don't need a full-featured PS2 to run at full speed, so for them speedhacks work fine.
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
(01-05-2010, 05:43 PM)Air Wrote: Most speedhacks work by "underclocking" the virtual PS2 hardware. It's like running the game on a special PS2 that's running at 1/2th or 1/3rd the machine's normal clock speeds (like 150mhz instead of 300mhz). So yeah, that's why many games end up running sluggishly via speedhacks. Other games simply don't need a full-featured PS2 to run at full speed, so for them speedhacks work fine.

Air, if a game was naturally slow on the ps2, would it be slow on PCSX2. I've always wondered that. Like some areas in FF12 were laggy on the real ps2, the battles in GU lagged really bad sometimes, etc.. Would those also happen in pcsx2?
------------
CPU: Core I7 Q720
Graphics: Nvidia Geforce GT240M
Ram: 4 gigs
Ideally, yes. They would also be slow on pcsx2.
But as we cannot predict actual execution speed 100% correctly, games will usually run better than on the ps2.
This is because when in doubt about certain instructions, we choose to emulate a faster ps2 over a slower one.
... with speedhacks disabled, yea. With them enabled, such scenes would be as slow or slower than the real PS2's.

After the 0.9.7 beta is released, I'm going to redo the speedhacks panels to better reflect that it's a "mhz multiplier" of sorts. Well, the EE/IOP speedhacks are. The VU speedhacks are "isolated" cycle stealers that attempt to skip EE cpu cycles at times when most games are idling anyway, thus reducing the overall negative side effects of standard EE/IOP mhz multipliers.
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
Also, this is largely irrelevant, but I thought you should know. nVidia hasn't actually released their line of DirectX 11 cards yet, meaning that anything in the 2xx series or below (like your gt220) is still limited to DirectX 10.1.