Slowdown Problem& Graphical Problem - Devil Summoner 1.
Hello everyone, I am currently having a slowdown problem with my emulator during scenes where lots of things are happening, or flashy spell effects in almost every game. I always get 60 FPS wth no problem, but when clutter, or lots of effects appear on screen in any game, I drop to about 30-40 FPS.

I have a pretty good computer, so I'm thinking it might be an emulator problem, if it's fixable at all. Attached is my setting.

Thanks.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Sponsored links

what is a ''pretty good computer'' by your standards? :/
what are the specs of your "pretty good computer", we will tell you if it's enough ;p

however i can tell you now, your 5800 series radeon isn't a bad card, but it won't handle 3x native with loads of particles on the screen. I'd consider dropping that down if i were you.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Card name: ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series

Any other info needed?
yes please, can you tell us which version of the emulator you are using? I suggest using a recent one as the inclusion of the "MTVU" speedhack will help you greatly with your quad core.

We recommend having a CPU at a speed of about 3.4Ghz or higher really for reasonable speeds all round. You could probably easily overclock that beast. I have an i7 920 and overclocking is a real no brainer.

(02-13-2013, 01:54 AM)refraction Wrote: yes please, can you tell us which version of the emulator you are using? I suggest using a recent one as the inclusion of the "MTVU" speedhack will help you greatly with your quad core.

We recommend having a CPU at a speed of about 3.4Ghz or higher really for reasonable speeds all round. You could probably easily overclock that beast. I have an i7 920 and overclocking is a real no brainer.

I am using PCSX2 1.1.0.5530 (svn). This is a newer PC so I am not familiar with overclocking, since I have use a pretty terrible PC up until recently.
all you need to do is drop your memory speed then up the "bus clock" (BCLK for short), take it up by 10-20 mhz at a time, until it becomes unstable, then drop it down 10mhz. It's really that simple, you probably dont even need to change the voltage.

I wouldn't go much higher than 3.6Ghz mind, these things get warm if you don't have a good cooler ;p

if it refuses to boot at any point, usually a reset will force the bios to take the overclock off. If that doesn't work, try holding "Insert" as you turn the PC on, if that doesn't work, you'll need to pop your battery/move the CMOS jumper Tongue

But please, try the MTVU hack first and lowering your GSDX resolution to 2x native or something.

That did a pretty good job, I'm only dropping about 3-5 frames now with MTVU on and set to 2x.

Since this thread already exists, I notice I am having a graphical bug with SMT Devil Summoner 1. For some reason this line appears on the top of the screen.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(02-13-2013, 02:33 AM)Kamui988 Wrote: That did a pretty good job, I'm only dropping about 3-5 frames now with MTVU on and set to 2x.

Since this thread already exists, I notice I am having a graphical bug with SMT Devil Summoner 1. For some reason this line appears on the top of the screen.
For the graphics problem use Direct3D9, that should take care of it. I also find this game to be taxing in places where there are a lot of pedestrians like when you enter Ginza-Cho, which is probably the most taxing part of the game when using pcsx2. With my Phenom II X4 955BE the FPS would drop 15-20 FPS depending on revision, with the 0.9.8 version being better speedwise than the current one. The newer pcsx2 release gets me 41-42 FPS in Ginza-Cho, the .9.8 version usually nets me 45-46 FPS at 3.2GHz in Ginza-Cho, overclocked to 3.7-3.8GHz I could get it to around 52-53 FPS in Ginza-Cho. Your processor seems to be better so an overclock could probably get you to 60 FPS or close enough to it even in crowded areas. The MTVU hack seems to actually drop 1-3 FPS in the newer pcsx2 release for this game so check and see if it goes faster for you by turning it off. Also make sure you have the INTC, wait loop and mVU hacks on for this game since they give good speedups. I have a radeon 5830 and could get the GSDX resolution up 3-4 times native with no hit in speeds, could go higher but 3x-4x already makes it look nice and smooth, believe it even lets you see some things you can't see if playing it on your PS2.