Slowmotion with 30 FPS?!?
although I'm not sure, I think it is not exactly "skipping frames"... but using the same Philosophy of movement synch by time as exposed above.

Although the refresh rate is granted on any hardware, The FPS is not. Knowing the game is too heavy even for the original console, the developers opted to "allow" for some FPS drop and still keep the events timings. But it is not yet the same thing as emulation on PC, because the hardware refresh rate is yet constant.

The emulator suffer doubled with the issue, because that which is it's actual FPS (in PC terms) is indeed the "refresh rate" of the console's TV standard it MUST achieve to grant the timings are correct. So, from the PCSX2 stand point, the refresh rate can't be granted for all machines and games with all the problems it brings. In few words, PCSX2 try first and foremost to emulate the console's base refresh rate and from there, the actual picture motion is derived.

Notice the computer itself has it's own refresh rate, as dictated by the video driver + monitor. So, despite PCSX2 being unable to generate the needed FPS (emulating the console refresh rate)... the image on the PC monitor is still "steady" ... if was the refresh rate on the console fails... it is something like old TV with problems in vertical and/or horizontal synch... which mean the image itself is totally distorted or even lost.
Imagination is where we are truly real

Sponsored links

(07-05-2011, 06:53 PM)Livy Wrote: It would be great if PCSX2 development team can mimic and apply that algorithm. Of course we do not have the source of SotC but is this possible? Sorry if it is a stupid question because I do not have any knowledge of hardware and low level programming.

By the way if played on PCSX2 does SotC automatically skips frame to achieve full speed as it does on PS2? I'm not at home right now so I can't test it myself. I have tested all my games on PCSX2 except for SotC and FFXII because I hear they're very CPU and GPU intensive.
Actually the VU cycle stealing speed hack was designed by studying this game, so I guess the answer is this has already been done Wink
[Image: newsig.jpg]
Please correct me if I'm wrong. You have to get 60 vertical interupts per second (what the emu means by FPS) even the game might be only running at 20FPS to get full speed.
That's correct.