Sly 3 running super slow?
I am using a intel 6700k, which is a skylake cpu (latest)

Kingdom hearts 2 runs at around 700% framerate when unlocked. The intro sequence of sly 3 runs at around 10fps, being generous, and assuming the game normally runs at 30fps, I need a at least a three times more powerful pc. This would mean that kingdom hearts uses less than a 20th of the ps2's hardware, which is obviously false. I've heard the Sly Cooper series has had performance issues for many others. Is there any solution? 

Oh and btw, I fixed the red bars across the screen for anyone that wants to emulate the game. Turn on gpu hardware hacks then skip draw 1. If that doesn't work increase it by 1 until the red bars go away.

Sponsored links

In order to help you further with your problem, please make sure the following are all provided.
  • Your hardware specs - CPU, Graphics Card, Memory, Operating System.
  • The version of PCSX2 you are using.
  • Any non default settings you are using.
  • What games you are trying to play and if you are playing them from ISO or DVD.

Thank You.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(01-15-2016, 04:49 PM)jesalvein Wrote: In order to help you further with your problem, please make sure the following are all provided.
  • Your hardware specs - CPU, Graphics Card, Memory, Operating System.
  • The version of PCSX2 you are using.
  • Any non default settings you are using.
  • What games you are trying to play and if you are playing them from ISO or DVD.

Thank You.

Running windows 8, gpu is a 970 but doesn't matter because it's the cpu that's maxed out, latest git version as of two days ago, running all of the checkbox speedhacks but not the slider ones. 8gb of ram. Playing from an ISO I ripped myself. (I love how easy it is to rip ps2 games)
(01-15-2016, 04:38 PM)telespentry Wrote: I am using a intel 6700k, which is a skylake cpu (latest)

I see... Ninja

Quote:The intro sequence of sly 3 runs at around 10fps

Please provide your EE , GS values which is present at the titlebar. also CPU usage from your task manager would be a nice addition as well.

Quote:, being generous, and assuming the game normally runs at 30fps, I need a at least a three times more powerful pc.

Let's not jump to conclusions , shall we ? Wink

make sure that you're using the default settings and have no additional resource demanding feature enabled for now ( upscaling , FXAA , MSAA ,EE Overclock).

Quote:This would mean that kingdom hearts uses less than a 20th of the ps2's hardware, which is obviously false. 

how did you reach this opinion ? Yes , it's obviously false.

Quote:Oh and btw, I fixed the red bars across the screen for anyone that wants to emulate the game. Turn on gpu hardware hacks then skip draw 1. If that doesn't work increase it by 1 until the red bars go away.

It's fixed when using Hardware depth on OpenGL , your fix is useful for D3D9/11.
(01-15-2016, 04:56 PM)ssakash Wrote: Let's not jump to conclusions , shall we ? Wink

make sure that you're using the default settings and have no additional resource demanding feature enabled for now ( upscaling , FXAA , MSAA ,EE Overclock).

how did you reach this opinion ? Yes , it's obviously false.

It's fixed when using Hardware depth on OpenGL , your fix is useful for D3D9/11.
Will post the info once I get back home. I have tried native resolution, I never use fxaa, never use msaa since cranking up the resolution is better, and I have neither of the sliders adjusted in the speedhacks section. I reached that conclusion because KH uses 1/7 of my computer's power to run at 100%. Sly 3 would theoretically need a 3x more powerful pc or more. Assuming it maxes out the ps2's hardware, that would make a 3x more powerful pc needed to emulate the ps2 to it's full potential. This would make KH use 1/21 of the ps2's hardware, which even though this runs on a lot of estimations, it is pretty obvious that something is not working as intended.

This could mean one of these things:
Sly 3 uses a feature that kh2 doesn't use that is emulated highly inefficiently (most likely since emulators are really hard to make efficient at all)
or there is something wrong with my pc (not likely since others have the same issue on completely different hardware) 

I am aware of the opengl thing, but since d3d is faster than opengl, a fix for it is more needed on a game that already runs like crap.
(01-15-2016, 05:16 PM)telespentry Wrote: This could mean one of these things:
Sly 3 uses a feature that kh2 doesn't use that is emulated highly inefficiently

This goes without saying, the game engine is completely different made by a different company, the engine could be doing more effects or just be less efficient.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Yet another game that don't like "Partial (OpenGL Recommended)".
At certain part of the intro(start the game and don't do anything,just watch),the speed goes way down on certain places but with Full(Safest)it's always above 150 at 3x scalling and some other things