Snowblind engine still unplayable?
Haven't emulated much in a while, but when I saw 1.0.0 was released and there was a snowblind engine fix I decided to update and try running Champions: Return to Arms again. However I'm still getting all of the problems I had the first time.

I know it's still not completely fixed yet and you have to run it in software mode to get the entire screen to work, but is it normal that the textures are still completely broken and the game runs at a snails pace? Seems to me like nothing has changed, or maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Processor is i5-2500k @ 3.3GHz, should be enough to run the game in software mode shouldn't it?

Sponsored links

1.0.0 doesn't have the fix, it's the latest SVN that does. You will also need to use the 4gb patch on the pcsx2 exe else you will end up with out of memory problems. On which note, you will need to run in software mode.

You can get the latest svn from here http://pcsx2.net/download/development/svn.html
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Even with my i5 3570k oced to 4ghz I get slow downs on Baldurs Gate 2 here personally so these are some demanding games when ran in softwre mode.
if you use MTVU and 3 software rendering threads, it shouldn't be too bad (with the 4gb patch of course).

These games cause the GSdx software cache system to allocate too much memory, hitting the 2GB x86-32 barrier.
Hardware mode isn't playable because only the left screen side is drawn.
Basically these games aren't playable yet, sorry.
ref thats how I have it setup currently and it still uns slow at times.
As rama pointed out (as well as me), the game uses huge amounts of ram, coupled with transferring that much data and the slowness of software mode, you need a monster for it to run quickly. You could try enabling some speedhacks, but itll only help so much. You should however achieve at least 30-40fps minimum.

mine was hanging about 45% at times with no speedhacks with the 4gb patch applied. I have one of the best CPUs for this emulator since as I said I am using a i5 3570K at 4ghz.
I have a question that's been bugging me about this hardware/software mode issue.

Why is it that hardware mode only draws half of the screen and software mode can fully draw the screen?

i've also noticed in champions of norrath that it isn't completely true about the half screen issue as some objects do get either partially or fully rendered on the other half of the screen.

when you walk up to a wall it renders on the right side which normally doesn't render anything.

same with torches. you can rotate the camera and move a torch through the right side and it partially renders the lighting effect.

basically though i'm just curious as to what the difference between hardware mode and software mode is that could cause this.
Hardware modes biggest issue is that it uses what's called a "Texture Cache" which is a sophisticated bit of programming which dramatically increases the speed of the plugin. The downside to this is it isn't very accurate and some rather odd and sometimes scary stuff can happen which completely buggers up the display.