So how would a 2.8GHz i7 perform in PCSX2?
I heard that in PCSX2 it is best to have a 3GHz core 2 Duo to get full speed in most games. I have an i7 at stock. at stock it atuomatically overclocks to 2.793GHz with 2 or more cores activated because of turbo mode.

I eard that the i7 performs a lot better than the core 2 duo in PCSX2 when you have Denormals are zero in the Advanced menu.

Can anyone explain why? And can anyone make an estimate to how the i7 would compare to a Core 2 duo?

Sponsored links

It doesn't perform 'a lot better' but it does have a clock to clock boost compared to core 2 duo...no one has done a successful comparison unfortunately so we can't tell how much that is. Should be max +20% clock to clock (considering boosts from extra cache etc)
[Image: newsig.jpg]
Well, E8600 are faster than i7-940 in KH2 and FFX.
i can run any game that actual works with the emu well at least all the games ive tried only slow downs ive noticed is suikoden 3 when i open the menu

Intel® Core™ i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory:
6140MB RAM
Video Card:
2 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 SLI
O/C that 920 to 4Ghz!
i7 4790K @ 4.4 + H105 / EVGA GTX780 SC / MSI Z97M Gaming
16GB HyperX Beast / Seasonic Platinum 1050W/ Air 240
MX100 512GB / WD Black 4TB / WD Green 6TB / W7 x64
Overclocking of i7 is not trivial task: by overcloking you superseded turbo bust function. And even more, you could obtain nominal 4HHz, that would be throttled back in real task to 3HHz. i7 920 is not very good choice.
To OP, youll probably notice some slowdowns on games like GTA where there is a lot being rendered at once: buildings, moving traffic, pedestrians, trees...etc. If I drop to stock clocks (2.6) it will fluctuate randomly between 70-100% speed.

(08-09-2009, 03:57 PM)Zeydlitz Wrote: Overclocking of i7 is not trivial task: by overcloking you superseded turbo bust function. And even more, you could obtain nominal 4HHz, that would be throttled back in real task to 3HHz. i7 920 is not very good choice.

You can OC and still leave Turbo on, it only goes away if you shut it off manually or set your own multiplier. I'm not sure what you mean about the throttling or that the 920 is a bad choice?

I've played with a C2D for a long time and I would have to disagree that the C2D can outperform an i7 clock for clock. C2D has in fact performed slightly better in some instances for normal PC gaming, unless its in a Crossfire/SLI setup. However, I would get slowdowns even at 3.4 in hardware and cant reach full speeds in software something I haven't had any issues with on i7.

I suppose, if Bositman would like, I can run some tests if he thinks theyd be of any use for information. Otherwise I won't waste my time.
CPU : i7 4930k @ 4.0GHz
RAM : Corsair Vengeance 8x8GB 1603MHz 1.60v
GPU : Asus R9 290X 4GB
MOBO: Asus Rampage Extreme IV
OSYS: Windows 10 Pro
(08-09-2009, 03:57 PM)Zeydlitz Wrote: Overclocking of i7 is not trivial task: by overcloking you superseded turbo bust function. And even more, you could obtain nominal 4HHz, that would be throttled back in real task to 3HHz. i7 920 is not very good choice.

You don't know what're you talking about. Nothing is throttled + "turbo" function is a pure "water" and isn't needed at all.
(08-09-2009, 04:46 PM)unauthorizedlogin Wrote: I suppose, if Bositman would like, I can run some tests if he thinks theyd be of any use for information. Otherwise I won't waste my time.

Yes, he'd like some comparisons. If possible with both cpus at the same clockspeed. Laugh
Indeed if you have the luxury of 2 almost identical systems but one with a core i 7 and one with a core 2 duo it would be very useful to see how much clock to clock i7 is faster (it surely is, we just don't know by how much). Just have them at the same clock and test away
[Image: newsig.jpg]