Software vs. Hardware
Smile 
Sorry for my noobness, but the fact is that trying games like Okami, looks like hardware rendering takes out all "post-processing effects".
True that in hardware mode you can aim for better resolutions, and it has "clear graphics", but you loose all those final touches.
Also, ive noticed, that in 2d games like Camcom vs. Marvel 2 it gives many "black lines" graphic glitch (in hardware mode).
Im aware that perhaps ive already answered my own question, but what do you guys think? What is recommended? Thx con contribuiting!

Sponsored links

Hardware for speed. Software for quality.
Sometimes, only software rendering can provide a decent speed, though. Things vary between different games.

Software mode is usually good for cleaning up graphic errors/glitches, but looks worse since it's limited to native resolution (try using a smaller window Wink). It also relies on your CPU for graphics processing, so a slow CPU (or even a decent one) may find it slower than the ideal hardware rendering. Hardware rendering is ideal because it uses your GPU, so it's speed can't be matched if emulation is accurate for the given game.

Bottom line: Try Hardware mode first. Resort to Software mode if you have to. Toggle between hardware and software mode by pressing F9 during emulation to make switching back and forth easier.
(05-05-2011, 11:30 PM)aldes Wrote: Sorry for my noobness, but the fact is that trying games like Okami, looks like hardware rendering takes out all "post-processing effects".

Post processing effects in Ookami were too buggy and slow in hardware mode so they had to be removed to keep the game playable.

Quote:Also, ive noticed, that in 2d games like Camcom vs. Marvel 2 it gives many "black lines" graphic glitch (in hardware mode).

This is caused by using a high resolution or AA, tick the "Native" checkbox and it should look the same as software (sometimes you just need to disable "texture filtering".

Quote:Im aware that perhaps ive already answered my own question, but what do you guys think? What is recommended? Thx con contribuiting!

Use hardware, if a game looks wrong try software instead (just need to press F9 while playing to switch between hardware/software).

In the end most people opt to use hardware because is usually faster and has the advantage of high resolution and many games will work perfect with it but f your games don't then just use software, it's good to have options Tongue2.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
OK! Thanks for the aclaration! So Okami looking better in software mode than in hardware mode is because of its complex post processing. But, does this happens in many other games? (I mean they look better in software than in hardware) Also, a bit off-topic, ive been reading a bit about "Allow 8-bit Textures", but never got clear the visual impact it can have, or is it just "processing" impact? Thanks again!
Actually is not lack of post processing the problem with hardware mode, is the contrary indeed... just that some games use special resources which are not yet well "understood" by the emulator and the result is poorer than no effect at all. In software mode is used the minimal so to no overtax the CPU (which is not designed to such tasks at all)... minimal, simpler and much more predictable... one could see it roughly as vector translation issues in hardware mode.
Imagination is where we are truly real
(05-06-2011, 10:54 PM)aldes Wrote: Also, a bit off-topic, ive been reading a bit about "Allow 8-bit Textures", but never got clear the visual impact it can have, or is it just "processing" impact? Thanks again!

That option is not about visual impact but performance, it can either help with speed in some games or make them slower or have not much of a difference at all Tongue2
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
long ago, I can't recall anymore if it where yet .96 or sooner .97, in FF XII it affected tattoos being shown in some characters but slowed down too much the emulation. I'm not sure if it was version related too... I got curious now Smile

It was scene dependent too if I recall correctly, I mean the FMVs.
Imagination is where we are truly real
Considering my specs
Lenovo
Processor i7-4790
RAM 8 GB
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 - 2048 MB
hard disk 1000 GB
optical drive DVD±RW
Windows 8.1
Software mode is better?
(Need to play to Xenosaga...really demanding game)
Can I use the widescreen patch with the software renderer?
Hey, just start a new thread or use one of the existing threads we already have. This one is over 4 years old.