Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some AMD info & A Q or 2
I finally got my new aftermarket heatsink in: Zalman CNPS10X Quiet.

I tried overclocking my Athlon II x2 240 beyond 3.5 GHz, but it was a no go. I think it's because of my RAM, as that CPU isn't a Black Edition, so the multiplier is locked.

However, I was able to trade my CPU for a Phenom II x2 555 BE.
It overclocked pretty easily to 3.8 GHz (with the new heatsink & fresh Artic Silver 5). I just changed the multiplier to 19, and raised the vcore to 1.4 volts, and left everything else @ stock.

Unfortunately, the 300MHz bump only raised my minimum FPS by 8, whereas, ideally, I was hoping for 15.

To be fair, a number of games, while still not quite always fullspeed, are a heck of a lot closer to it now (Dragon Quest 8, to name one), and are much more enjoyable, thanks to the speed bump.

Before I try to push this CPU beyond 3.8 GHz, I've read reports of some ppl hitting up to 4.2 GHz on it, I wanna give the Artic Silver 5 a few days to Cure.
I was wondering if overclocking my Northbridge or Hyper Transport beyond the stock 2 GHz will have any measurable impact on PCSX2.
My PCSX2 Rig:Windows XP x32 & Windows 7 x64.
i5 2500k @ 4.0 GHz.
nVIDIA GTX 460 1 GB.
>Dun Click Here<

Sponsored links

Nah, only the CPU frequency will have any effect on PCSX2. So even 3,8 Ghz is not giving you full speed? Maybe review the settings you use for those particular games (altho I know for a fact that DQ8 is one of the most demanding ones)
[Image: newsig.jpg]
Right, DQ8 will always have moments where it dips in speed.
For this game just set the VU cycle steal hack and be done with it Tongue2

I recommend you do not go much higher with your CPU clock.
From the description it seems like you reached the ceiling for safe 24/7 oc.
Thanks for the info!
The new GSdx plugin (3623), and the new SPU2-X (3628) combined give me an average of 3 more FPS.
I can bump the VU Cycle Stealing Hack up to 1 or 2 with some games, with no ill effects, and get a nice a FPS boost.
Unfortunately, Dark Cloud 2 and Star Ocean 3 are quite obstinate... But that's ok.
I can always play them later, after a few more revisions or something.
In the mean time, I can always mess around with lillypad, and try and decide upon what method I'll need to use for the pressure sensitive dragon flute thing that I've seen mentioned here lately. I haven't played SO3 past the part where you get the 'Autograph' yet, so I haven't really worried about it.

So far, with the right speed hacks, on this rig, DQ8 hasn't dropped below 50 FPS. I just got my Ship. Been sailing around, killing sea creatures, and exploring remote islands and what not.
This game looks really badass in HD Widescreen. Cool

I'm gonna heed yall's advice about not pushing the second-hand Phenom II X2 555 any higher.
I re-read the thread (on another forum) about getting it to 4.2 GHz.
Apparently, the first time around, I missed the bit about him using liquid nitrogen... Blink

I will say this, though. With only the three [Recommended] speed hacks on, I'm no longer experiencing any perceivable slowdowns in .Hack//G.U. Vol 1: Rebirth. I've tested in the first town, and several Area Worlds. I'm gonna keep playing this game for now, cause I wanna see what the Haseo's Grunty looks like on my HDTV @ 1080p.
I'm not sure why, but he's my favorite Grunty. Biggrin

My PCSX2 Rig:Windows XP x32 & Windows 7 x64.
i5 2500k @ 4.0 GHz.
nVIDIA GTX 460 1 GB.
>Dun Click Here<
DQ8 has some scenes that don't run at full speed even on my 4250 MHZ C2D, btw i'm on watercooling.
I think you could get your proc to 4,2 with a decent watercooling system. But i don't know what temp can a AMD get to at that frequency. And liquid nitrogen is overkill = not for daily use.

I would see if you can lower the volts for a stable 3.8Ghz, then it will give you more heatroom for 4.0Ghz.
CPU: i7 930 @ 2.8GHz(Everyday)/3.6GHz(Gaming)/4.0GHz(Encoding)
GPU: Geforce GTX 480 @ 850MHz/1001MHz
Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D-E
RAM: 2x3 6GB OCZ @ 1527MHz 8-8-8-24
If you want to overclock phenomII CPU make sure your cpu temp doesnt exceed beyond 70C under stressing for safety. If your max cpu temp still under 58C at full load then you can push your clock and volt cpu higher than 3.8ghz relative easy.
Down your HTT clock under default clock to 1.8ghz with NB clock to 2ghz-2.2ghz can help your IMC memory and sometimes with loosly your mem timing can help too.
Notebook ASUS A43TA|CPU AMD Llano APU A6-3400m Triple core (1 core disable) OC to 2.6+Ghz|GPU CF|HD 6520 400Mhz/667Mhz iGPU|HD6650M OC 780Mhz/985Mhz dGPU|RAM 8GB DDR3 1333|Windows 7 Ultimate Sp.1 x64 bit.
>> Emulation speed differs for each game. There will be some you can run fast easily, but others will simply require more powerfull hardware <<.