Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some PS Vita vs iPad 4, etc questions.
Hi;

Now, I'm not sure if anyone here can help, but I was wondering about the gaming power of the Vita vs newer portables like the iPad 4, etc. Now, I KNOW that the iPad 4, and other tablets like it, are not dedicated gaming systems, and that they are more multi-purpose machines than the Vita. However, one of the Vita's biggest selling points is its gaming power - is this up for debate? So what I'm asking is, has the Vita's power as a handheld games player already been surpassed, less than one year after its launch?

This would be very sad in a way, though one has to bear in mind that an iPad 4, for example, is FAR more expensive than a Vita. But still, if the Vita is no longer the top dog in portable power, I would be very disappointed. Not even one year on top!

Anyone with technical knowledge care to give their opinion? Thanks!

Sponsored links

Not surprised if the Vita was overthrown. Technology advances QUICKLY, especially in the mobile market today.
psp vita console still win ipad 4 due to overpower gaming than ipad4

here the info why people don use ipad now because

greedy company apple encrypted the files all must need itunes program to inject music file so on... this huge disadvantage

Asus tablet coming soon(i trust asia most trust brand name and quality)(west is now greedy)
Too soon maybe to state it but the entering of windows 8 in that segment will set a lot of things into motion.

AMD has shown that mobile can hope for processing power at par with mainstream desktop machines, Intel is coming with it's Haswell. One might expect for changes to happen yet quicker in near future. MS is already preparing itself to be among the first grabbing the new market development with iron claw.
Imagination is where we are truly real
OK, did some more research.

The new iPad (4) is running a PowerVR SGX 554MP4 as its GPU. In comparison, a PS Vita runs a SGX 543 MP4+ as its GPU. How do they stack up by numbers? See the graph below:

PowerVR SGX 543MP2 - used in: iPad 2 - 19.2 GFLOPS
PowerVR SGX 543MP3 - used in: iPhone 5 - 28.8 GFLOPS
PowerVR SGX 543MP4 - used in: iPad 3 - 38.4 GFLOPS
PowerVR SGX 554MP4 - used in: iPad 4 - 76.8 GFLOPS

So, looking at the all important floating point power, a Vita would likely be slightly more powerful than an iPad 3, but wouldn't come close to an iPad 4. Remember, I'm talking the GPU capabilities here, bear in mind that in terms of CPUs it isn't close, the Vita using a ARM CortexTM-A9 core (4 core), while an iPad 4 runs a much newer Apple A6X. What is even more disappointing, in my opinion, is that the Vita's resolution is 960 x 544, while an iPad 4 displays at 2,048 × 1,536 resolution. Even the iPad 4s pixel density is higher, at 264ppi vs Vita's 220ppi.

So yeah, it really isn't a fair comparison, guess the Vita's power dominance didn't even last a year. Not complaining, just slightly disappointed, as it's a great little system, at a great price. But I guess you can't have it all!
A lot of that power is spent rendering at 2048x1536 instead <=960x544.
(11-03-2012, 05:49 AM)Dryu Wrote: OK, did some more research.

The new iPad (4) is running a PowerVR SGX 554MP4 as its GPU. In comparison, a PS Vita runs a SGX 543 MP4+ as its GPU. How do they stack up by numbers? See the graph below:

PowerVR SGX 543MP2 - used in: iPad 2 - 19.2 GFLOPS
PowerVR SGX 543MP3 - used in: iPhone 5 - 28.8 GFLOPS
PowerVR SGX 543MP4 - used in: iPad 3 - 38.4 GFLOPS
PowerVR SGX 554MP4 - used in: iPad 4 - 76.8 GFLOPS

So, looking at the all important floating point power, a Vita would likely be slightly more powerful than an iPad 3, but wouldn't come close to an iPad 4. Remember, I'm talking the GPU capabilities here, bear in mind that in terms of CPUs it isn't close, the Vita using a ARM CortexTM-A9 core (4 core), while an iPad 4 runs a much newer Apple A6X. What is even more disappointing, in my opinion, is that the Vita's resolution is 960 x 544, while an iPad 4 displays at 2,048 × 1,536 resolution. Even the iPad 4s pixel density is higher, at 264ppi vs Vita's 220ppi.

So yeah, it really isn't a fair comparison, guess the Vita's power dominance didn't even last a year. Not complaining, just slightly disappointed, as it's a great little system, at a great price. But I guess you can't have it all!

But PS Vita have PowerVR SGX 543MP4+, not PowerVR SGX 543MP4. PowerVR SGX 543MP4+ have video memory = 128 mb. kernel frequency of PowerVR SGX 543MP4+ is 500 MHz, kernel frequency of PowerVR SGX 544MP4 more than 250 MHz... ARM CortexTM-A9 core in PS Vita have 2 GHz, Apple A6X have only 1.4 Ghz
(03-15-2013, 03:04 PM)user20130315 Wrote: But PS Vita have PowerVR SGX 543MP4+, not PowerVR SGX 543MP4. PowerVR SGX 543MP4+ have video memory = 128 mb. kernel frequency of PowerVR SGX 543MP4+ is 500 MHz, kernel frequency of PowerVR SGX 544MP4 more than 250 MHz... ARM CortexTM-A9 core in PS Vita have 2 GHz, Apple A6X have only 1.4 Ghz

According to the almighty wiki, the Vita cpu is actually 400mhz quad core, the + just means it's customized by sony (which is probably the speed increase and a couple of little bits). So the performance of the Vita GPU is probably between the iPad 3 and 4 somewhere.

"apparently" the performance is similar to that of the original xbox, which had a custom Geforce 3, but the vita looks much better thanks to the newer support for opengl and directx Tongue
[Image: ref_sig_anim.gif]
Like our Facebook Page and visit our Facebook Group!
Edit: Necro...
Meh Apple is overpriced garbage and instead of quality it's more of a hype then it does any good.