Some things you guys need to change for this emulator to be successful
Ok This is my opinion and if anyone gets offended by it then well sorry.

Ok I know this program runs on dual core systems and effectively takes advantage of both cores. BUT most Dual core systems need to be extremely fast or your game will lag like hell. yeah you can overclock your processor but i had mine at 3.9GHz and most games were still lagging terribly.

now with more and more systems being quad core and due to there cheapness people are moving from dual core to quad core extremely quickly and i see this as a good thing.

now i have read the someone said to take PCSX2 From Dual to quad would take major re writes of the code and things like that. but i say its worth it due to the fact that the hardware you need to buy is more than that of 1 brand new PS2 so whats the point of playing it on PC when its cheaper just to buy a system? i think it would be a grave mistake to not move to dual core systems as the increased cores would increase the emulator speed seeing as how so many things need to be processed at once.

Also why not take advantage of the GPU's Processing power. Nvidia has something that you can use to take advantage of its horse power and ATI has just recently came out with a program that will allow you to use there graphics cards power to.

my friend who has taken a 2 year programming course said to me that the fact that the program is not optimized for quad core is not good due to the fact that like i said more and more people have quad cores now.

of curse i realize that it is also in the programming and it will take time for more and more games to compatible but seriously it still takes a lot of process power to run them.

now i see there is a speed hack for shadow of the colossus but it didn't work for me at all. i had my friends dual core processor overclocked to 3.83GHz and it still lagged terribly! and i mean it was bad. i have the latest plugins for the graphics and it may be that but i doubt it.

so what it all comes down to is there are so many ways you can get the program to run faster but it do sent seem you really want to even though it is probably the best move to make.

well if this has annoyed anyone sorry but i have been waiting for this emulator to get done for like 2 years now and i see that its still pretty much the same program that has been slightly tweaked. yeah its nice but there could be a lot more done to it to increase speed.

if this is in the wrong forum sorry didn't know where to post it. i hope someone reads this and understands my feelings...
Propane and Propane Accessories i tell you what!

Sponsored links

Firstly, you should have looked into this more seeing as supporting quad cores has been discussed in detail many times here, and secondly, you're blaming the program for bad performance which is wrong. I had Shadow of the Colossus running at near full speed and your PC seems much better than mine, which means either you're configuring the settings wrong or you're using an old version of GSdx (I base that on the fact you have an ATI card).
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K @3.5 GHz
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 680 2GB
hmmm i have single core amd athlon @2.41 ghz and i play different games without much problem (they are slow but playable, i get around 70-90 % fps )

i just recently defeated 7th colossus in shadow of colossus and am playing tekken 5 and final fantasy X when i get bored in soc

i also play god of war

Speeds are still not perfect for me, but i can see HUGE improovement (before i couldnt even think of runing any game even though my hardware was same)

So i think that we just have to wait and support those guys, they are doing awesome work

its easy to say "omg you should do this and that and this"

i bet they have ideas like that - but reality is different

there is something you want to do and something you are able to do
(07-16-2009, 11:39 AM)thelasthallow Wrote: Ok This is my opinion and if anyone gets offended by it then well sorry.

Ok I know this program runs on dual core systems and effectively takes advantage of both cores. BUT most Dual core systems need to be extremely fast or your game will lag like hell. yeah you can overclock your processor but i had mine at 3.9GHz and most games were still lagging terribly.

now with more and more systems being quad core and due to there cheapness people are moving from dual core to quad core extremely quickly and i see this as a good thing.

now i have read the someone said to take PCSX2 From Dual to quad would take major re writes of the code and things like that. but i say its worth it due to the fact that the hardware you need to buy is more than that of 1 brand new PS2 so whats the point of playing it on PC when its cheaper just to buy a system? i think it would be a grave mistake to not move to dual core systems as the increased cores would increase the emulator speed seeing as how so many things need to be processed at once.

Also why not take advantage of the GPU's Processing power. Nvidia has something that you can use to take advantage of its horse power and ATI has just recently came out with a program that will allow you to use there graphics cards power to.

my friend who has taken a 2 year programming course said to me that the fact that the program is not optimized for quad core is not good due to the fact that like i said more and more people have quad cores now.

of curse i realize that it is also in the programming and it will take time for more and more games to compatible but seriously it still takes a lot of process power to run them.

now i see there is a speed hack for shadow of the colossus but it didn't work for me at all. i had my friends dual core processor overclocked to 3.83GHz and it still lagged terribly! and i mean it was bad. i have the latest plugins for the graphics and it may be that but i doubt it.

so what it all comes down to is there are so many ways you can get the program to run faster but it do sent seem you really want to even though it is probably the best move to make.

well if this has annoyed anyone sorry but i have been waiting for this emulator to get done for like 2 years now and i see that its still pretty much the same program that has been slightly tweaked. yeah its nice but there could be a lot more done to it to increase speed.

if this is in the wrong forum sorry didn't know where to post it. i hope someone reads this and understands my feelings...

Try this settings

Everthing I have is totaly legal...and the Bios 2006 version too...I followed the Guide to dump bios through USB

I CANT BE BANNED AGAIN...[/b]
Unfortunately there is no way to wave a magic wand and suddenly it supports quad core, it requires massive amounts of programming! However there are very few games that run slowly for me, at lower clocks than your friends computer, so hes probably not configured correctly or using the latest plugins.

Things will improve over time, only a few years ago, final fantasy ran at 10-15fps, now it runs at 50-60 on the same hardware, it just takes time to iron everything out.

Tho i have to "lol" at being successful, considering how gooder job it does and the fact over 6 million people use it. If that isnt successful i dont know what is Tongue
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

*flutes* 6 mill? that is a lot XD
Chicken is not Vegan?

NO VEGAN DIET NO VEGAN POWERS!!!!

http://www.flixxy.com/my-blackberry-is-not-working.htm
(07-16-2009, 12:20 PM)kabooz Wrote: *flutes* 6 mill? that is a lot XD

6 mill is a rough guess, its probably more Tongue

@ OP

why dont you make your own emu and compete with pcsx2, your programmer friend can help you

i wouldnt mind having 3 different emulators fighting for domination Tongue2

(variety is awesome and progress is usualy faster when you have stiff competition)
(07-16-2009, 11:39 AM)thelasthallow Wrote: Ok This is my opinion and if anyone gets offended by it then well sorry.
no one will be offended by the content of your post, but don't be surprised if a mod interprets it as spam, as this topic has been discussed several times already.

(07-16-2009, 11:39 AM)thelasthallow Wrote: Ok I know this program runs on dual core systems and effectively takes advantage of both cores. BUT most Dual core systems need to be extremely fast or your game will lag like hell. yeah you can overclock your processor but i had mine at 3.9GHz and most games were still lagging terribly.
this is definitively your config, i'm able to run metal gear solid 3 on my rig @1920x1080 and default settings, just with vu cycle stealing set to moderate speed up, and my core2duo is not even overclocked (...yet).

(07-16-2009, 11:39 AM)thelasthallow Wrote: now with more and more systems being quad core and due to there cheapness people are moving from dual core to quad core extremely quickly and i see this as a good thing.
ask yourself: how many applications are currently able to profit from a quadcore? very few.

(07-16-2009, 11:39 AM)thelasthallow Wrote: now i have read the someone said to take PCSX2 From Dual to quad would take major re writes of the code and things like that. but i say its worth it due to the fact that the hardware you need to buy is more than that of 1 brand new PS2 so whats the point of playing it on PC when its cheaper just to buy a system? i think it would be a grave mistake to not move to dual core systems as the increased cores would increase the emulator speed seeing as how so many things need to be processed at once.
the team is already trying to enhance the threadability of pcsx2, which you would know if you searched a bit for the info on this forum.

(07-16-2009, 11:39 AM)thelasthallow Wrote: Also why not take advantage of the GPU's Processing power. Nvidia has something that you can use to take advantage of its horse power and ATI has just recently came out with a program that will allow you to use there graphics cards power to.
if it is benefitial, it will be used in time. also, your gpu is busy enough with gsdx/zerogs.

(07-16-2009, 11:39 AM)thelasthallow Wrote: my friend who has taken a 2 year programming course said to me that the fact that the program is not optimized for quad core is not good due to the fact that like i said more and more people have quad cores now.
i seriously doubt that you learn in a 2 year programming course, how hard it is to emulate a complex system like the ps2 on a pc, even less how difficult it is to run it on multiple cores. you can't just set a variable from "2" to "4" before compiling pcsx2 and then it runs magically on 4 cores and at double the speed.

(07-16-2009, 11:39 AM)thelasthallow Wrote: of curse i realize that it is also in the programming and it will take time for more and more games to compatible but seriously it still takes a lot of process power to run them.
true

(07-16-2009, 11:39 AM)thelasthallow Wrote: now i see there is a speed hack for shadow of the colossus but it didn't work for me at all. i had my friends dual core processor overclocked to 3.83GHz and it still lagged terribly! and i mean it was bad. i have the latest plugins for the graphics and it may be that but i doubt it.
not every speed problem with a game can be fixed just with more power. thought about that? if a game runs not that great on a dual core, chances are that a quad core won't fix it.

(07-16-2009, 11:39 AM)thelasthallow Wrote: so what it all comes down to is there are so many ways you can get the program to run faster but it do sent seem you really want to even though it is probably the best move to make.
where did you get that impression? any quotes of the devs proving this?

(07-16-2009, 11:39 AM)thelasthallow Wrote: well if this has annoyed anyone sorry but i have been waiting for this emulator to get done for like 2 years now and i see that its still pretty much the same program that has been slightly tweaked. yeah its nice but there could be a lot more done to it to increase speed.
which is basically you saying: move your lazy a**es and get the d**n thing completed.

/vote close

p.s.: lol@topic "...to be successful" Laugh
CPU Core [email protected] | GPU Nvidia Geforce GTX 570 | RAM 8GB DDR-3 1600MHz CL9 | OS Win7 Ultimate (x64) SP1
EMU PCSX2 v1.1.0 r5645 | GS GSdx SSE4 r5632 | SPU2 SPU2-X r5559 | PAD LilyPad r5403 | CDVD cdvdGigaherz r5403
Ah yes i missed that point. Your reference to stream processing or "CUDA", while it looks like it would be an excellent candidate for the VU's, it isnt unfortunately. Apart from the fact it still wouldnt be very quick due to the lack of instructions available, this would leave no processing room for the GS plugin to actually process and display the graphics, so this is out too.