Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sony removing OtherOS
For Fat ps3 owner,dont update to 3.21.It will remove otheros feature.
read it here http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/03/2...21-update/

So what is gonna be? Will geohot be able to overcome this too or hacking ps3 has just dead?

Sponsored links

I heard about it too, but since the release date is that particular date, I'd take that with a grain of salt. =b
Moreover, what if it's a prank that actually make the Slim ones being added the OtherOS functionality too? xD

In any case, those using it for other things probably don't really care about using it to play anything, so an old firmware is nothing for them.
And PS3 gamers that actually install Linux on the Fat ones comprise of how many percentage of all PS3 gamers?
Intel C2D E6550 2.33GHz (OC@2.8GHz)
Corsair CM2X1024 4GB (4x1GB) DDR2 DRAM
ASUS P5K
XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB

Running on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
PS3 with linux was one of cheapest way to made a cluster -- PowerPC computer cost around $2000, and PS3 way cheaper. Hard to tell, why Sony decided to kill this option, but they did.
(03-30-2010, 11:10 AM)Zeydlitz Wrote: PS3 with linux was one of cheapest way to made a cluster

Exactly.
People using them as clusters don't really benefit from an updated firmware.
They don't need the support for new PS3 games, new BD standards, and definitely not gonna cluster PS3s to play PSN.

Unless there's a firmware update that can improve the responsiveness of the cluster, brooding over an unwanted firmware update is a bit moot.
The update is entirely optional anyway.

Actually, there's an easy way to tell why they decided to kill it.
They teamed up with IBM to create the Cell core for PS3 back then.
*hint hint*
ASUS P5K
XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB

and here is Geohot's update: http://geohotps3.blogspot.com/2010/03/dont-update.html

It seems.he is gonna making custom firmware!
Hmm...not really a custom firmware, I think.
If I understand his post correctly, PS3 owners should just update the firmware normally, then he'd find a way to re-enable the OtherOS feature.

What bugs me actually is a sentence he said in his last paragraph.

Quote:It's about whether these companies have the right to take away advertised features from a product you purchased.

I never really followed the PS3 marketing buzz, but did Sony really advertise the OtherOS functionality back then?
I'm not saying what he's saying is wrong, but just wanna know whether there's a truth behind the 'advertised features' bit.
ASUS P5K
XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB

(03-30-2010, 08:40 PM)k1net1cs Wrote: Hmm...not really a custom firmware, I think.
If I understand his post correctly, PS3 owners should just update the firmware normally, then he'd find a way to re-enable the OtherOS feature.

What bugs me actually is a sentence he said in his last paragraph.

Quote:It's about whether these companies have the right to take away advertised features from a product you purchased.

I never really followed the PS3 marketing buzz, but did Sony really advertise the OtherOS functionality back then?
I'm not saying what he's saying is wrong, but just wanna know whether there's a truth behind the 'advertised features' bit.

ya,sony advertise otheros feature.
And to re-enable otheros feature he needs an alteration of ps3 gameos,right? what's that mean?
I think it mean that he have already examined gameos(of course dumped) and found something like darkalex.
Well, according to his post, he can only find it out AFTER the update has been rolled out since there'd be no other way for him to get around 3.21 without having it first.

I won't hold my breath for it, but if he succeeds then it's all good.
I just can't see why people using OtherOS would want a firmware update.
Is it really necessary?

Personally I'm more interested if he can make the Slim ones having the OtherOS feature.
ASUS P5K
XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB

Quote:I just can't see why people using OtherOS would want a firmware update.
Think of it as dual booting.
One OS for gaming and media, the other for surfing the web/other stuff.
Nappa: Vegeta! What does the scouter say about his power level?
Vegeta: It's...one thousand and six.
Nappa: Wh-...really?
Vegeta: Yeah! Beat him up Nappa!
Nappa: Yay!
I have never taken advantage of the feature, simply because I have had no use for it. That irritates me that they are removing it, because it was advertised as a feature and everything, and I imagine the people that use that love it.

Unfortunately for me, my fat ps3 is sitting with sony right now Sad error code 80010514 how I hate you. And since its waaaay out of warranty (I got it on the 499 price drop day, so I think summer of 07?) it cost me $189.55. not a happy camper.
Laptop
Intel Core 2 Duo PM8600 @ 2.4 GHz
4 GB DDR3 1066 RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3670 512 MB

Desktop
AMD Phenom II x2 550 (unlocked to 4)@ 3.5ghz
4 GB DDR3 1600 RAM
Sapphire 5770 1GB