Speed Tips For Shadow of the Colossus?
Information 
Can anyone offer any tips to getting the best performance in SotC (SCUS_97472) under PCSX2?

I'm aware this was a game that didn't exactly fly on real hardware but I'm wondering what can be done (if anything) to boost the speed under emulation.

Specs:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @ 3.6GHz
8GB DDR2 RAM @ 1066MHz
GeForce GTX 280
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
PCSX2 0.9.7 Beta 3878

I'm currently using the default emulation settings and in GSdx I have chosen Direct3D10 (Hardware), Native resolution and Allow 8-bit textures.

In the game I get an average of 30-50fps with Progressive Scan enabled through the in-game menu. EE usage drifts between 95 and 101% (Blink) and GS usage generally stays below 50%, with UI only using 0 to 1%.

Turning off progressive scan in the game options drops the FPS by about 10% and it looks slightly worse.

Sponsored links

well, I believe the only thing you can do in this case is to compile a sped up EE. I can provide one for you later, but you won't get any support for it here. (I can't do a compile where I'm at right now)

it's using every stitch of the EE that pcsx2 gives it, the EE on pcsx2 will need to be sped up to accomdiate this
(10-14-2010, 11:32 PM)Saiki Wrote: well, I believe the only thing you can do in this case is to compile a sped up EE. I can provide one for you later, but you won't get any support for it here.

it's using every stitch of the EE that pcsx2 gives it, the EE on pcsx2 will need to be sped up to accomdiate this

I'm comfortable with compiling one myself if you can PM me a patch file or other instructions for modifying the source.

I thought this might be the case but it's always worth asking, right? Tongue
sure, I'll send a pm in a sec
Try the "vu cycle stealing" speedhack set to moderate, I went thru 3 colossi like that at full speed 2 days ago without problem (could only use 2x scaling resolution in GSdx cause of my card tho Tongue2).
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
in other words the EE needs to be overclocked right?
yet another game that needs a faster EE.
(10-15-2010, 01:49 AM)Shadow Lady Wrote: Try the "vu cycle stealing" speedhack set to moderate, I went thru 3 colossi like that at full speed 2 days ago without problem (could only use 2x scaling resolution in GSdx cause of my card tho Tongue2).

Thanks for the tip, this works great. Still a little slowdown but no more than on real hardware. Had no trouble with GSdx in DX10 Hardware mode with internal res set to my screen resolution (1680x1050): http://imgur.com/Zd84B.jpg

On an unrelated note, what does "Allow 8-bit textures" actually do?
(10-15-2010, 02:09 AM)YukiS Wrote: On an unrelated note, what does "Allow 8-bit textures" actually do?

I think that was a fix for a game called Xenosaga, so it doesn't crawl to 6 fps.
(10-15-2010, 02:09 AM)YukiS Wrote: On an unrelated note, what does "Allow 8-bit textures" actually do?

it's something related to palletized texture lookup...something... can't remember now Tongue2

Depending on the game/scene and your graphics card it can either speed up or slowdown when you're being limited by graphics card/GS plugin. And yeh it was mainly made for xenosaga II/III which would crawl and use a lot of Vram but right now it's not that bad even without that option.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
Does it have any impact on image quality?