Speed issue
I noticed a thread about hardware and such for Windows, but not here. I just want to confirm that there's nothing I'm doing wrong.

I have an AMD FX 8120 8-core processer, overclocked (with cooling of course) to about 4.3 GHz, and my GPU is a Nvidia GTX 480 with proprietary drivers. I'm running Linux Mint 14 (Ubuntu 12.10 variant). I'm using the default settings and plugins, except I checked the MTVU speed hack because of my processer. Oh and I have 8 GB of DDR 3 RAM. I installed the most recent version via the PPA.

Anyhoo, I tried loading a game up (Fighting Vipers), and the speed is atrocious. The logo screens aren't even full speed...and after pressing start on the game menu, I'm averaging like 10 fps. The emulator seems to be using 4 cores around 30% each...totaling about 50% overall processor usage. I realize I shouldn't expect perfect playability under any circumstances, but this seems a little extreme.

So all I want to know is...is this normal? Is it likely just a screwy game?

Sponsored links

Linux still has a ways to go in terms of playability. One day we will get hardware mode for both Nvidia and Radeon GPUs (in either proprietary or open source drivers) but for now all we have is SW mode for GSdx and ZZogl which is an old plugin. And Bulldozer wasn't exactly top notch in single thread performance either...

What plugin/specs are you using? What are the EE ans GS% at the top of the screen?

You probably shouldn't bother with MTVU if using GSdx SW mode. It seems to make things worse. Also, adding extra SW threads in GSdx for some reason is only marginally effective, even in high GS% games.
OS: Linux Mint 17.2 64 bit (occasional Antergos/Arch user)
(I am no longer a Windows user)
CPU: Intel Pentium G3258
GPU: Nvidia GTX 650 Ti

Oh I didn't realize my GPU was not even a factor lol. Alright, I understand then. I was using ZZ OGL PG .4 (which would freeze if swtiched to, but works if the program is restarted).

I did try the GS plugin at one point, and the experimental hardware mode was...well...experimental :-P...even so, it didn't go as fast as one would expect.
The main problem here is pretty WiP Linux support. You may have a game that stresses the GS plugin a little and that is too much.
for zzogl the only thing i can suggest to try is the no target resolve hack. it works on some high gs games. i too have the multi crashing problem with zzogl but at least it works eventually after a few tries. for now i think gregory is the only linux dev working on pcsx2. there was another linux dev named arcum but i have not seen that person on the forums in a long time. of course we all have jobs and personal life and stuff. i wish i knew how to be a programmer but i am in the medical field instead. i try to help out where i can though. in the end patience is a virtue when it comes to linux development. i am personally optimistic about linux ports future.
OS: Linux Mint 17.2 64 bit (occasional Antergos/Arch user)
(I am no longer a Windows user)
CPU: Intel Pentium G3258
GPU: Nvidia GTX 650 Ti

I really need to look at this crash. And later check the GSdx multithreading issue. I think AMD finally release a 32bits tool to profile the CPU usage.

Quote: I wish i knew how to be a programmer but i am in the medical field instead. i try to help out where i can though. in the end patience is a virtue when it comes to linux development. i am personally optimistic about linux ports future.
You help a lots actually. I wanted to say thanks you. By the way you know I'm working on the hardware industry (actually on this 3GHz beast) not too far of SW but still none of my coworker can create any basic C program.
"Remove blur effect on some games" also helps me with speed.