Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Speed issue after reopening
#1
I am using svn 5452 and the issue happens every time I close then open it again (to do something else on my PC.) I like to rush through games as I've beaten most of them on my PS2 ages ago and normally cut off frame limits (in this case Dragon Quest VIII) and achieve around 180-210fps sometimes more during actual game play. After I open it later to play I get only 20-21 fps regardless of where I am. I can only assume PCSX2 no longer decides to use all of my cores in my processor the second time and after it is opened. After restarting my PC and open it, it'll run fine until I close it and open it again later.. I checked over the forum for any similar issues, but couldn't find anything that could relate to my issue. I have been using all default settings and I have tried resetting all settings, including any speedhacks in the possibility I changed something and don't remember - and there is no change to the FPS I get at all.
Another thing to note is that I am using Nvidia, my vsync settings are off entirely and I've played with all the settings to no effect.

My specs -
Intel i7 965 @ 3.8ghz
8gb ram @ 1333
Nvidia GTX 580

PCSX2 settings - default all around, res is set to 3x (tried native with no effect)

**Solved it!**

I don't encounter the problem when I use Shutdown and then click exit from the System drop down in the emulator. The older revs I have (just after the latest stable) can be X'ed out of and rebooted without the problem happening. So the problem is something to do with what happens when the emulator is closing plugins and whatever fun stuff it's letting go of when it's being closed by just clicking the close box at the top - just guessing but I've got a work around now - I'm happy.
Reply

Sponsored links

#2
I should add - in the default settings with no speed hacks I get around 100-120 on the world map. More during battle. I just did a save state before rebooting where I was getting 20fps and after rebooting I loaded the state and got a bit over 100 fps. It's a little odd and just a tad bit annoying to need to reboot each time after I close it and want to play again. It would set my mind at ease to know it's an emulator issue rather than one with my PC.
Reply
#3
(12-12-2012, 10:55 AM)Setuben Wrote: I should add - in the default settings with no speed hacks I get around 100-120 on the world map. More during battle. I just did a save state before rebooting where I was getting 20fps and after rebooting I loaded the state and got a bit over 100 fps. It's a little odd and just a tad bit annoying to need to reboot each time after I close it and want to play again. It would set my mind at ease to know it's an emulator issue rather than one with my PC.
Well, That's actually a problem for the OS and the processor itself. The emulator does not actively choose the cores to use.

There is an old and known issue with icore CPUS... if they see a strong unbalance, for example GS around 0% usage while EE screams near 100% the system see it as "no loaded" and may even reduce the clock feeding back the problem.

That's because EE reports using 100% of the available CPU and if the system fails to put it at least at nominal speed...

The most common workaround is simply putting Windows in a "Performance" power option so the CPU clock does not falls. Another is deactivating HT at the BIOS setup, but I can't really help in this, I don't get near an Intel CPU for decades now.
Imagination is where we are truly real
Reply
#4
(12-12-2012, 01:23 PM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: Well, That's actually a problem for the OS and the processor itself. The emulator does not actively choose the cores to use.

There is an old and known issue with icore CPUS... if they see a strong unbalance, for example GS around 0% usage while EE screams near 100% the system see it as "no loaded" and may even reduce the clock feeding back the problem.

That's because EE reports using 100% of the available CPU and if the system fails to put it at least at nominal speed...

The most common workaround is simply putting Windows in a "Performance" power option so the CPU clock does not falls. Another is deactivating HT at the BIOS setup, but I can't really help in this, I don't get near an Intel CPU for decades now.

This issue is brand new for me and I've been using PCSX2 on this same setup for a couple of years now. I've just started experiencing this problem while using this revision. Before I could just jump around playing an MMO or other PC game and back to the emulator infinite times and it would work just as well as the first time. I'll try a test on an older rev I've got on backup and post my results. If you've got any other suggestions to add I'll try it, and thanks for the reply.
Reply




Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)