Speed issue
Hi I just recently downloaded PCSX2 and I downloaded version 0.9.6 and tried several games one of which is Final Fantasy X (of which I'm playing off my official disk so it isn't an ISO issue). The problem is it doesn't run very well. Generally it'll be 60 fps in the menus but when loading or directly after loading like when I get into a battle or when I go to a new place it cuts to like 15-20. I'm using the GSDX 890 SSE41 DirectX9 (because I'm using XP) video plugin with the default stuff except with pixel shader 3.0. I tried using it on Windows 7 RC1 with DX10 but none of my plug in settings would save whether it be a graphics plugin or the controller plug in. Also I tried downloading the beta plug ins but that didn't change anything.

My specs are
Core 2 Duo E8500 @3.6Gh
2GB Ram
Radeon 4870 512MB.

Thanks for the help.

Sponsored links

FFX is about the only game that actually works flawlessly for me. Well, of games I actually want to play. Which sucks because I think I broke my PS2 getting the bios off it...but it wad having problems before hand too.

I learned a while ago that ISO's on your hard drive work better than the game disks. At least in my system. When I actually did that I got a decent frame rate boost and my sound actually worked on time with the video 100% of the time with no settings change other than the DVD plugin.

Try sticking with shader 2.0 It doesn't give me more performance, but it got rid of some artifacts in my case.

make you make use of the the speed hacks section in the configuration menu. It is pretty much dependant on your system for what works best and even two systems that are identical in hardware might not work best at the same settings. *shrug* You just have to play with it.

The newest beta is pretty good, so I would also give that a try. There is a new speed hack called VU cycle stealing. When I set it to "slight" I've got some games that would barely budge to play at a decent FPS.
E8500 @ 4.1GHz
4GB memory
HD4850 512MB in crossfire (Crossfire does work with PCSX2)
Running Vista 64
For windows Vista/7 try running PCSX2 as administrator (right click) or moving the pcsx2 folder to a folder where you have permissions like the Documents folder.

For the speed Issue try getting the latest GSdx revision from the GSdx thread and see if it does any better.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
(07-08-2009, 02:48 AM)jeffw Wrote: Hi I just recently downloaded PCSX2 and I downloaded version 0.9.6 and tried several games one of which is Final Fantasy X (of which I'm playing off my official disk so it isn't an ISO issue). The problem is it doesn't run very well. Generally it'll be 60 fps in the menus but when loading or directly after loading like when I get into a battle or when I go to a new place it cuts to like 15-20. I'm using the GSDX 890 SSE41 DirectX9 (because I'm using XP) video plugin with the default stuff except with pixel shader 3.0. I tried using it on Windows 7 RC1 with DX10 but none of my plug in settings would save whether it be a graphics plugin or the controller plug in. Also I tried downloading the beta plug ins but that didn't change anything.

My specs are
Core 2 Duo E8500 @3.6Gh
2GB Ram
Radeon 4870 512MB.

Thanks for the help.

you definitely have a configuration problem, your hardware should have no problem with emulating this game at all. i'm running it @ 1080p without any speedhacks with stable 60 fps (only a single drop to 50 during shiva summoning). so try the already mentioned tips (betas + iso + dx10), if the problem persists, post your complete config.
CPU Core [email protected] | GPU Nvidia Geforce GTX 570 | RAM 8GB DDR-3 1600MHz CL9 | OS Win7 Ultimate (x64) SP1
EMU PCSX2 v1.1.0 r5645 | GS GSdx SSE4 r5632 | SPU2 SPU2-X r5559 | PAD LilyPad r5403 | CDVD cdvdGigaherz r5403
make an iso and play with Linuz Iso CDVD plugin 0.8.0 and you will gain MANY fps xD

the beta plugins will help (pcsx2 beta too) especially GSDX ,though maybe a tiny bit slower some bugs were fixed lately so it looks better also your graphics card should be fast enough , ah I see you have an ATI then the beta could be faster cause GSDX had a bug with ATI cards IIRC and DX10 is almost always faster... so win7 would be the better option... turn off UAC and use an admin account or if that doesn't help try the "run as administrator" option

under the speedhack section you can turn everything in the middle on for FFX and cycles to 1.5X if you must xD (beta only advice)

ah and NO frameskipping

PS: the VU Cycle Stealing "can" cause sound issues
Chicken is not Vegan?

NO VEGAN DIET NO VEGAN POWERS!!!!

http://www.flixxy.com/my-blackberry-is-not-working.htm
Thanks everybody I ripped it to an ISO and now it's running perfectly.
I also have speed problems with FFX .

I made ISO from game dvd with nero and it worked a lot better but not good enough. Intro movie is barely on 30 fps(goes way down at times) and now music works well enough but as soon as it ends slideshow begins.

I've been tampering with most config options but there is no real difference. Not even speed hacks work (i tried all or nearly all combinations but it makes no difference whatsoever).

Specs:

Intel Pentium 4 3.0
3GB Ram
GeForce 6800 GT

(it's weaker than jeffs but not 2 times i think)
i had some issues with ffx, too.

about 30fps and weird red/white stripes at some scenes.

i fixed it rather simple: i read the instruction guid to pcxs2^^
official guide
read through this and configure youre pcsx2 step by step and you should be able to run ffx at a stable 60fps without any speedhacks, etc.

oh, another thing:
this is another thread from me, but there you have some links to screenshots wich show you my configs.
allthough i am using vista so there are some differences.
http://forums.pcsx2.net/thread-8167.html

as i said above, i highly recommend that you work your way through the official guide, as it helped me a lot with ffx.

hope i could be of any help to you.
Processor: Intel Core 2Duo Cpu E8400@3ghz 3ghz
Memory: 4gb
Graphics: HD4870 512mb
Thx, i'll try it out
... your pc is 2 times weaker... if you don't have the good P4 with HT then even worse... and your graphics card is way below minimum... also DX9 is slower... so if you just want to play FFX try using an old pcsx2 version 0.9.4 or something maybe that helps^^
but the way I see it you can only play nippon ichi games and 3d games that emulate really easy ...
Chicken is not Vegan?

NO VEGAN DIET NO VEGAN POWERS!!!!

http://www.flixxy.com/my-blackberry-is-not-working.htm