Speeding up Digital Devil Saga?
Hey guys,

is there any possibility to speed up Digital Devil Saga? The EE% is always very high and speedhacks do help, but not to a great extent. EE Cyclerate for example does zero. I also deactivated clamping, but are there other means?
Intel i5 3450
AsRock B75-Pro3-M
Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC
8GB DDR3-1333 RAM
Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB
Seagate 7200.14 1TB x2
Enermax Triathlor 450W PSU

Sponsored links

Sorry I can't be positive about this specific game (someone will come with the voice of experience eventually), still you could try frameskip at initially 2x2 and see if it helps without breaking something else. Good Luck.
Imagination is where we are truly real
We have the same PC specs and my game ran with no hitch.

Try these settings:
EEcyclerate: 0
VU cyclerate: 0
Tick the following: Enable INTC, Enable Wait loop, mVU Flag hack
Clamp: normal
My PS2 Resurrected:
AMD Phenom II x4 oc 3.4ghz
GTX 560 1gb
Western Digital 300gb hdd
4gb ddr800 kingston ram
Asrock N68-S Motherboard
(05-15-2011, 07:34 AM)jadariin Wrote: We have the same PC specs and my game ran with no hitch.

Try these settings:
EEcyclerate: 0
VU cyclerate: 0
Tick the following: Enable INTC, Enable Wait loop, mVU Flag hack
Clamp: normal

Nope, that yields only 50 FPS in heavier areas.
Intel i5 3450
AsRock B75-Pro3-M
Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC
8GB DDR3-1333 RAM
Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB
Seagate 7200.14 1TB x2
I would think given the similar specs that it could be your RAM holding you back... While RAM doesn't normally play a big role in PCSX2, if it's slow enough it will negatively impact performance... especially for DDR2.
[Image: 2748844.png]
Digital Devil Saga runs really slow in battles, it's just that the spell effects put a lot of strain on the hardware. You could try messing with speedhacks, but other than that, I don't know if there's any easy solution except to use a more powerful CPU or to overclock.

Now, if you're getting slowdowns outside battles, then something is seriously wrong. My laptop can run those areas without any issues. It's just the spell effects that are slow; it drops to around 40 fps during certain attacks in the secret Cycle 2 boss in the first game.

If you have a PS2, then play on that. Or, you could just play the game as it is, with the slowdowns. DDS is fully turn-based, so the slowdown shouldn't affect gameplay, besides the fact that it will garble the amazing music that the game has.
HP dv7 laptop :: Intel Core i5-560M @ 2.66 GHz :: ATI Radeon HD 5650 :: 4GB RAM :: Windows 7 64-bit
[Image: sig.gif]
Battles run great, without problems. It's places with many people and much stuff around that cause slowdown.
Intel i5 3450
AsRock B75-Pro3-M
Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC
8GB DDR3-1333 RAM
Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB
Seagate 7200.14 1TB x2
Huh. I don't know how to fix that. Are you talking about the first or the second game? I think that both games only have a few areas like that with a bunch of people standing around, so you should still be good for the most part. The game is still playable, right?
HP dv7 laptop :: Intel Core i5-560M @ 2.66 GHz :: ATI Radeon HD 5650 :: 4GB RAM :: Windows 7 64-bit
Ah you mean like the hubs from the main base of embryon and the base of the tribe by jinana. Those are very minor and you wont spent a lot of time in places like those. Those are the only places I can think of that I had slowdowns.
My PS2 Resurrected:
AMD Phenom II x4 oc 3.4ghz
GTX 560 1gb
Western Digital 300gb hdd
4gb ddr800 kingston ram
Asrock N68-S Motherboard
You guys sure you're not having in-battle slowdowns? Some of the later spell effects are pretty intense. The 2nd cycle secret boss in particular tends to cause massive slowdowns. Your CPUs are not that much faster than mine that you'd be getting full fps and I would be getting around 40...

Try testing the game on a PS2. Even with the early-game normal attack command, the game slows down a teensy bit as you hit the opponent. The fps counter shouldn't show it, but it's a visible pause in gameplay that isn't there on the PS2.