Star Ocean 3 Boot and Color Issues
So, I've been in the mood to replay SO3, because it's one of my old favorites, but I'm having some issues.

- Booting
    - For some reason more than half the time I try to boot SO3 my FR will plummet to ~8 fps then the entire emulator will crash. If this happens, I never get past a black screen.

- Color
    - Also, all of the colors are in negative for some reason. (see included pic) Swapping between full-screen and windowed will fix the colors for about 2 seconds then they'll swap back.

[Image: pcsx2so3_zpsyvgtynfq.png]

My Specs and PCSX2 configs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700HQ (Skylake) CPU @ 2.60GHz
RAM: 16.0GB 2x8.0GB DDR4
Motherboard: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. MS-16L2 (U3E1)
GPU: 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (MSI)
Storage: 238GB TOSHIBA (SSD) + 931GB Hitachi (SATA)

[Image: pcsx2so3_2_zpsrddhb9ku.png]
[Image: pcsx2so3_3_zpsb0rzv5ec.png]

Sponsored links

The negative colour issue only happens on some games/cards when using DX11 Hardware and a high Native upscale. Switch to OpenGL and I think all will be well Smile

If that doesn't work, apparently DX9 isn't affected, but OpenGL is a much better renderer now than the two DX ones.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(01-09-2017, 01:13 AM)refraction Wrote: The negative colour issue only happens on some games/cards when using DX11 Hardware and a high Native upscale. Switch to OpenGL and I think all will be well Smile

If that doesn't work, apparently DX9 isn't affected, but OpenGL is a much better renderer now than the two DX ones.

Thanks for the recommendation! That definitely fixed the negative color! And possibly fixed the boot issue as well. However, I'm now hovering at ~30fps, EE is around 10% with GS in the 90s. Any thoughts? Thanks again!!
Which suggestion did you follow (lower native upscale, switch to OpenGL or switch DX9)?
(01-09-2017, 01:54 AM)FlatOut Wrote: Which suggestion did you follow (lower native upscale, switch to OpenGL or switch DX9)?

Sorry, should have mentioned that, I switched to OpenGL - I left the additional options on their defaults. I also tried lowering the native upscale after I noticed the fps impact. Went all the way down to native (from 6x) with no fps increases.
I believe star ocean 3 is quite heavy. Can you show me your GSDX config, including the hw hacks tab if it's turned on
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(01-09-2017, 03:02 AM)refraction Wrote: I believe star ocean 3 is quite heavy. Can you show me your GSDX config, including the hw hacks tab if it's turned on

SOLVED: VSync was turned on and was the cause of the issues with the framerate. Locking it around 30. I'll do some digging into the NVidia settings to see if I can figure anything out. Thank you for your help guys. OpenGL(Hardware) seems to be the way to go for SO3 definitely.

Funny bit: I only thought to turn off VSync as I was writing an actual reply with my settings screen-grabbed. Glad I did!
Yeah for Nvidia openGL is the way to go. Its fast and more accurate then DirectX9/11 thanks to Gregory