Star Ocean 3 Significant Slowdown
Hey folks, I've been trying to get Star Ocean Till the End of Time to work for the past week or so, to no avail.

Though to be truthful, the game does work. It just will have HUGE slow-downs in some areas, to the point where it's unplayable. (5-10FPS until I either skip the scene, or move out of the area)

I've done a lot of searching on similar problems with Star Ocean, and it appears I'm not the only one who's having trouble. Seems to be a difficult game to emulate.

At any rate, here are my current settings for the game:

[Image: pcsx2staroceanspecs.th.jpg]

So, is there any hope here? Would switching to Direct3D 11 help? Possibly trying another version of PCSX2? (I've tried the most recent beta and 0.9.6) Or am I missing something crucial that's right in front of me?

Sponsored links

Try unticking "allow 8-bit textures", try running it on software mode.

If running it on software makes it faster try then using the GSdx 0.1.7 version.

Oh and if that version runs fine go to the GSdx thread and ask your star ocean 3's crc to be added for future revisions, and if that version doesnt help no idea then lol.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
**EDIT**

try the GSdx rev 1469
is in the GSdx show-all
http://pcsx2.dyndns.org/index.php?n=GSdx

it risky it's highly crushes,if i stay w/ 0.1.7 it's quite slow im some areas but less crushes.
Main PC1:i5-4670,HD7770(Active!)
Main PC2:i5-11600K,GTX1660Ti(Active!)
PCSX2 Discord server IGN:smartstrike
PCSX2 version uses:Custom compiled build 1.7.0 64-bit(to be update regularly)
smartstk's YouTube Channel
Well what i think you should do is grab gsdx rev 1357.

Honestly for me, i've never played star ocean 3, but from what i get when i try to play game, sometimes if you use spu2-x, the fps will go down, as i have expirenced a 10-20 fps drop whenever i play a game, so your secondary option would be to use zerospu2.

And you also don't have native resolution checked on, if you don't have this on, you can expect an fps drop-unless you have a really good computer.

You should also try to enable microvu and the status flag hack. Also try to use vu cycle stealing, and see if there's any change at all.

Let me know what happens if you do.
CPU: Core i5 Processor 3330
GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB
RAM: 16 GB
HDD: 1 TB
OS1: Windows 10
you must use only gsdx 0.1.7 !
I5 - 2320 @ 3,0 Ghz - 8 GbyteDDR2 1333 Mhz - Geforce 8800 GTS 512 Mbyte - Win 7x64 - Samsung 32" TV HD-Ready
Uomo saggio il cielo aiuta.
No no no the latest GSDX's fixed the Star Ocean slowness a while back there is no reason you should use gsdx0.1.7 anymore. I have been playing through the game without crashes or massive slowdown. Well except when I tried to enable AA but that was kind of expected.

More importantly what area's are getting massive slowdown?
(08-22-2009, 06:18 PM)Dog2473 Wrote: Well what i think you should do is grab gsdx rev 1357.

Honestly for me, i've never played star ocean 3, but from what i get when i try to play game, sometimes if you use spu2-x, the fps will go down, as i have expirenced a 10-20 fps drop whenever i play a game, so your secondary option would be to use zerospu2.

And you also don't have native resolution checked on, if you don't have this on, you can expect an fps drop-unless you have a really good computer.

You should also try to enable microvu and the status flag hack. Also try to use vu cycle stealing, and see if there's any change at all.

Let me know what happens if you do.

Computer specs are in sig. 9800GX2, 4GB DDR3-1333, and an AM3 CPU. Not too worried about specs, but even on Native it STILL lags like crazy in Airyglyph.

(08-22-2009, 08:08 PM)dralor Wrote: No no no the latest GSDX's fixed the Star Ocean slowness a while back there is no reason you should use gsdx0.1.7 anymore. I have been playing through the game without crashes or massive slowdown. Well except when I tried to enable AA but that was kind of expected.

More importantly what area's are getting massive slowdown?

Graintier beach made me lag like crazy. After that, didn't have any significant slow-down until Airyglyph. The snow makes it slow to like 2 FPS, and is literally unplayable.

I've used multiple GSDX versions here, and I haven't seen a single improvement in FPS out of all of them.
So you tried software mode and 0.1.7 and still the same? :o
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
(08-23-2009, 01:57 AM)Shadow Lady Wrote: So you tried software mode and 0.1.7 and still the same? :o

Software mode made the entire thing run slow instead of just certain areas, and when I DL'd 0.1.7 and tried to switch settings, the entire program crashed whenever I tried to launch the game.
Hmm odd I had a little slowdown but nothing near that in Airglyph with a slower processor and videocard.