Star ocean 3 problems....
So I was waiting to post this before I tried testing it out fully and now here I am. FIrst off how demanding is this game? I get huge FPS dips playing on 3x native at 4x MSAA. The fps dips are one but I can't believe my system can't handle it at these settings. So I thought it was an emulator problem but after testing out to see if the problems were still their in the latest rev. (5457) and they are. As for the sudden FPS dips I do not get them even on 6x native res with no MSAA on. I think it might be a MSAA problem but not entirely sure of this.

As for my other problem the game likes to bleed out color as shown here.

http://i.imgur.com/pLWmv.jpg

Now this is a mild one. I should done a pic that it where it was a lot worse but you can still tell of this one. Anyways this doesn't happen in software mode.

Once again these problems don't happen at all in software mode.

Any ideas on this?

Thanks
I5 3570k 3.4ghz| 4GB R9 290| 8GB DDR3

Sponsored links

well dont you think it is because of the msaa? -,-
it clearly says in the description that it takes alot of memory when you add msaa and well, your graphics card doesnt have that nessesary memory to cope with this thus getting fps drops
dont see the use of msaa anyway, not really noticable to begin with, having 4x native or higher res.
2GB of Vid RAM is not enough? Holy hell....
(11-18-2012, 02:44 AM)fade2black001 Wrote: 2GB of Vid RAM is not enough? Holy hell....

seems that way, remember that emulation can take up more resources then a hefty pc game does, but i hope you already knew that.
does the game works with smaller internal resolution?

If so, It is what it takes, emulation is not the same as native PC games, GSDX may not work optimized, may be just a bandwidth issue instead actual amount of VRAM. Or you can wait till the "problem" is fixed if it will.

Yet, that game seems so demanding in some places that it can be just taxing even the i5 and the problem may lie in this.

There are two possibilities to workaround the issue, reducing the resolution if it works (the best one) or try speedhacks for I'm playing the game nicely without significant FPS drops except at a few situations using VU cycle stealing at 1 and none at all if setting it at the second notch.

Welcome to the real world.

PS, while in combat if more than one character start using symbology and skills at once it may create a severe load and the performance drops a lot. But if I understood your report it is not the case but a chronic performance hit at some places.

Try the above more mondaine solutions, your machine is good indeed but there is not that thing like godly machine as yourself stated in another thread, adapt your configs to the demand, that is a sensible thing to do.

Edit: Sorry, I misread the post, you may have had your question answered by WarWeeny already. Yes, that game is that demanding and that 4x MSAA might be the cause of the whole issue.

Anyway, as I reported in another thread, the game has huge drops on FPS at some places to an extent that not even the i5 will be able to cope with, I fear. Seems more an emulation issue than actual overload because the VU cycle stealing is incredibly efficient in that game, in a proportion that is not "normal" pushing the game from meager 40 FPS (on a FX 8150) to steady 60 FPS even in it's not null minimal.

PPS: If you are having performance issues at that stage of the game shown in the screenshot, it will be much worse once you get out the Airygliph city.
Imagination is where we are truly real
(11-18-2012, 03:14 AM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: 1) Yet, that game seems so demanding in some places that it can be just taxing even the i5 and the problem may lies in this.

2) try speedhacks

1) i could play so3 on my i7 2670qm 2.8 ghz and gt555m (9800gt perfomance) with 1200 x 1200 resolution in fullspeed 100% of the time, argument invalid

2) doesnt help with graphical settings -,-
(11-18-2012, 03:14 AM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: does the game works with smaller internal resolution?

If so, It is what it takes, emulation is not the same as native PC games, GSDX may not work optimized, may be just a bandwidth issue instead actual amount of VRAM. Or you can wait till the "problem" is fixed if it will.

Yet, that game seems so demanding in some places that it can be just taxing even the i5 and the problem may lie in this.

There are two possibilities to workaround the issue, reducing the resolution if it works (the best one) or try speedhacks for I'm playing the game nicely without significant FPS drops except at a few situations using VU cycle stealing at 1 and none at all using if using at the second notch.

Welcome to the real world.

PS, while in combat if more than one character start using symbology and skills at once it may create a severe load and the performance drops a lot. But if I understood your report it is not the case but a chronic performance hit at some places.

Try the above more mondaine solutions, your machine is good indeed but there is not that thing of godly machine as yourself stated in another thread, adapt your configs to the demand, that is a sensible thing to do.

The bleeding of the image gets worse as you go up in higher native res settings. So If I keep the game at native res It doesn't seem to happen. As I stated before even if I am at 6x native res with no AA I do not get the sudden FPS drops. MSAA seems to be causing it as I mentioned earlier.

I also heard speed hacks hate this game. In other words most if not all do not work on it and can severely screw it up. I will try them if needs to be. 5x native res with no AA looks better than 3x native res at 4xAA anyways. But the bleeding of the color is a lot worse. you can really see it during battles all the time.
(11-18-2012, 03:18 AM)WarWeeny Wrote: 1) i could play so3 on my i7 2670qm 2.8 ghz and gt555m (9800gt perfomance) with 1200 x 1200 resolution in fullspeed 100% of the time, argument invalid

2) doesnt help with graphical settings -,-

Well, I played it once whole in my phenom II without issues as well at 2x internal resolution with a crappy videocard for nowadays parameters, although needing speedhack in a few places.

I'm replaying it with the bulldozer and things are just worse than the Phenom II but still playable and stead if keeping the VU stealing at all times.

And by the report alone I could not really be sure it was a "graphics" issue undermining the performance.

Edit: occurred me a thing, is SO3 the same as Star Ocean Till the end of time?
Imagination is where we are truly real
Yeas Star ocean 3 is Star OCean till the End of Time. People call it SO3 for short as its the 3rd one in the series.
(11-18-2012, 04:20 AM)fade2black001 Wrote: Yeas Star ocean 3 is Star OCean till the End of Time. People call it SO3 for short as its the 3rd one in the series.

technically its not but lets go with this for now xD