Steam overlay works with Direct3D9 but not Direct3D11
I've been getting back into emulation since I discovered that now I can actually close games by using the Steam overlay without having to use my mouse or keyboard.

But, for whatever reason, if I set Direct3D eleven before the game starts I can't seem to see the Steam overlay (even if it's working, it's basically just invisible). Once I change to Direct3D 9, however, the Steam overlay works perfectly.

The weird thing is that if I start the game with Direct3D9 and then switch to 11 while the game is running, the Steam overlay still works.

I asked around a bit and no one else seems to be having this problem.

I would be okay using Direct3D9, but for whatever reason it just can't handle any resolution. While with Direct3D11 I can play perfectly with up to x4 Native, Direct3D9 has massive fps drops even with native reslution.

What's going on? Can anyone help me on this?

Currently running the latest PCSX2 build with GSDXsse4.

Intel 3.5GHz Quad Core processor.
GTX 860M.

Sponsored links

Can I ask you why you want to use steam's overlay function?
(03-01-2015, 06:31 PM)Bigbenn01 Wrote: Can I ask you why you want to use steam's overlay function?

As I said in the OP, it's literally the only way to close emulated games without getting up and without using Joy2Key.
My guess would be that something isn't quite right with your DX install. GSdx performs quite similarly between DX9 and DX11 for most games, and this includes resolutions and frame rates.

May I ask how did you configure steam to execute PCSX2? (command line switches etc), and if you use an installed or portable PCSX2? Also please specify the exact version you use, and the source from which you downloaded it. Thanks.
(03-01-2015, 06:59 PM)avih Wrote: My guess would be that something isn't quite right with your DX install. GSdx performs quite similarly between DX9 and DX11 for most games, and this includes resolutions and frame rates.

May I ask how did you configure steam to execute PCSX2? (command line switches etc), and if you use an installed or portable PCSX2?

It was working fine for me too up to a certain point, then it started having the slowdowns and there's nothing I do to make it work better.

To play the games from Steam I added the PCSX exe to Steam and then edited the properties by adding the directory my ISO is in.

Also yes, I am using the portable version, that way I can have different settings for different games.
(03-01-2015, 07:02 PM)guru8bit Wrote: It was working fine for me too up to a certain point, then it started having the slowdowns and there's nothing I do to make it work better.

This probably means something did get messed up with your DX setup, and possibly this is also what's preventing the overlay from displaying in DX11. I don't think the fix for this is on the PCSX2 side.

However, if you added steam PCSX2 entry for each PS2 game, and _if_ you launch with --no-gui to run the game automatically, then pressing escape should also exit pcsx2. But you'll need a build from few weeks ago or newer for this to actually work.
(03-01-2015, 07:13 PM)avih Wrote: This probably means something did get messed up with your DX setup, and possibly this is also what's preventing the overlay from displaying in DX11. I don't think the fix for this is on the PCSX2 side.

However, if you added steam PCSX2 entry for each PS2 game, and _if_ you launch with --no-gui to run the game automatically, then pressing escape should also exit pcsx2. But you'll need a build from few weeks ago or newer for this to actually work.

The overlay wasn't working right from the start, well before the slowdown.
So what should I do to fix the slowdown?
Don't know. Re-installing DX doesn't always fix DX issues, but that's what I'd try. YMMV.
(03-01-2015, 07:28 PM)avih Wrote: Don't know. Re-installing DX doesn't always fix DX issues, but that's what I'd try. YMMV.

I suppose since Direct3D11 is still working right I only have to reinstall Directx9?
Which installer should I grab?
The web installer should update everything to the latest. But like I said, it doesn't always fix DX issues. Worth a try though.