Read first: Will PCSX2 run fast on my computer?
Quick question, with all the work being done has the emulator become more demanding?

New: Dell Inspiron 15 7580 | Intel i7-8565U @ 1.8 GHz | 16 GB DDR4 RAM | GeForce MX150 2 GB

Old: Lenovo IdeaPad Z510 | Intel i7-4702MQ @ 2.2 GHz | 6 GB DDR3 RAM | GeForce GT 740M 1 GB

Sponsored links

This is not the thread for this. Please make your own thread.
[Image: pNm13X9.gif]
Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 1909 | AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3600 RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD | WD Red Plus 8TB

CPU Intensive Games
GPU Intensive Games
Games that don't need a strong CPU
hello, first and foremost, i'd like to thank the developers for creating pcsx2 which allowed me to play several games that i loved in the past. i'm about to upgrade my laptop in a month and i was wondering if anyone could help me in choosing between the two laptops that i have chosen.

the first one is an ASUS ROG GL551JW-DS71 which has 16GB of RAM, an i7 4720HQ Haswell and a GTX 960m with 2GB GDDR5 ram.
the second one is an MSI GP62 Leopard Pro-002 which has 8GB of RAM, an i7 5700HQ Broadwell and a GTX 950m with 2GB GDDR3 ram.

my job requires me to travel a lot and as such, constructing a desktop rig wouldn't be feasible since i'm rarely at home. i'm planning to use both laptop to play both pc games and pcsx2 emulation thus my problem in choosing the 2. the second choice is better for emulation due to the higher STR of the 5700HQ compared to the 4720HQ (2068 vs 1954) but the weaker graphics card of the MSI (GDDR3 vs GDDR5) and lower RAM makes me think that the ASUS laptop is better overall.

some of the games i plan to play includes witcher 3, GTA 5, Dragon Age: Inquisiton, Assassin's Creed: Unity and some older games such as Tomb Raider and Resident Evil 5 for PC games while I will be planning to play SO3, KHI and II, FFX and FFXII, TOTA and the Xenosaga series for pcsx2.

as it is, i'm usually running PCSX2 on my current laptop at 2x native, ee and VU cycle stealing set to 1 and 0 respectively (I bump it up a notch in the case of SO3 and Xenosaga cause them games be demanding yo) and MTVU checked. there are some slowdowns at times but games are still pretty playable. i plan to use the same settings on my newer laptop and i am hoping for a smooth 60fps output all throughout the game. thanks in advance for helping and more power to pcxs2.
I'd get the first one, since you do PC gaming it should fare pretty well on both sides and ultimately do better on higher internal resolutions compared to the second build.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
(08-23-2015, 06:21 PM)ssakash Wrote: I'd get the first one, since you do PC gaming it should fare pretty well on both sides and ultimately do better on higher internal resolutions compared to the second build.

thanks for the input man. by any chance, do you think the first laptop will be able to handle the ps2 games i mentioned fluidly?
(08-24-2015, 03:39 PM)anton2k4 Wrote: thanks for the input man. by any chance, do you think the first laptop will be able to handle the ps2 games i mentioned fluidly?

FF series should be good to go, Xenosaga might get slowdowns on some demanding games but should be good overall. though the second one would be a better choice in case of emulation and a worse one in case of PC gaming and the first choice would be the inverse of it.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
Hi everyone, I am about to buy a Lenovo Thinkpad T450s for college and work and would like to know if PCSX2 can run at full speed (at least at native resolution). The laptop comes equipped with an Intel i7 5600U processor clocked in @ 2.7 GHz (can go up to 3.2 GHz) with an Intel HD 5500 iGPU and 12gb RAM. The OS is Windows 10 Pro. I'm mainly interested in playing games like Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, Jak 2, and some Final Fantasy/KH games. It'd be nice to know if I can finally leave my old PS2 at home while still being able to play these classics as I'm traveling around.
(09-04-2015, 07:27 AM)ASDF1492 Wrote: Hi everyone, I am about to buy a Lenovo Thinkpad T450s for college and work and would like to know if PCSX2 can run at full speed (at least at native resolution). The laptop comes equipped with an Intel i7 5600U processor clocked in @ 2.7 GHz (can go up to 3.2 GHz) with an Intel HD 5500 iGPU and 12gb RAM. The OS is Windows 10 Pro. I'm mainly interested in playing games like Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, Jak 2, and some Final Fantasy/KH games. It'd be nice to know if I can finally leave my old PS2 at home while still being able to play these classics as I'm traveling around.

The recommended single thread performance for pcsx2 is 1600 and that processor is around 1700 so you should be fine for most games. Just keep in mind that different games can be more demanding than others and you may need to try different settings. I have a laptop with an i5 2520m (3.2GHz Turbo) and HD 3000 graphics and I can play FFX at 2x native, but that is one of the easier games to emulate. Most games I need to use the VU speedhacks to get better fps.
Jak II is on a different level though, and requires closer to 1900+
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
How about a geforce 840M how well does that card do?