Strange issue with cheats (.pnach) - Unable to turn cheats off?
I've been playing Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories for a while now, and I was using cheats until I realized it caused a lockup on PCSX2 when I went back into Castle Oblivion after clearing a Map. (Example, complete Traverse Town, and then exit back to Castle Oblivion, you'll get into the loading sequence, but the screen stays black and you're forced to restart the game.)

Now I thought that disabling certain cheats might solve the issue, so I went ahead and disabled each cheat one by one (patch=1, changed to patch=0 to turn them off), but it somehow didn't work.

Then I went to the main menu of PCSX2, and unchecked "Enable Cheats", strangely enough when I used this method it DID work.

But why is it that some cheats were somehow still activated even after I turned them off? I made sure I wasn't using Save States either, it was a memory card save being loaded, so everything should've been cleared.

I did notice that my Experience gaining was messed up in battle, even with the EXP cheat turned off (set to patch=0). Could it be that setting it to patch=0 does not fully disable the cheats? Or is something else causing it entirely?

PCSX2 v1.3.0 r5932
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60~4.20 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super @ 6 GB | Samsung 980 1TB | Windows 10 Pro x64 (22H2)

Sponsored links

just put // infront of the cheats
I'm not really sure(don't remember if this is correct)but I think patch=0 means,activated the code once and don't freeze the value of the address
patch=1 set the value to the address and force it to stay at that value.
Some games don't revert the value to default once it's changed by using cheats so if patch=0 means "set the value once",the changed address will keep that value.

The normal way to disable cheats is either by adding // infront of patch= or from the "Enable Cheats" menu
(09-13-2014, 06:00 PM)vsub Wrote: Some games don't revert the value to default once it's changed

till a restart Tongue
Not always...some games keep the value in memory card saves too(save states too...if you create a save state while the cheats are enabled=>disable the cheats=>restart pcsx2=>start the game and load the state=>this will act as "activate once" for all of the codes that were enabled before)
There are some cheats that are persistent, where you need to find the off code for it.
(09-13-2014, 06:04 PM)vsub Wrote: Not always...some games keep the value in memory card saves too(save states too...if you create a save state while the cheats are enabled=>disable the cheats=>restart pcsx2=>start the game and load the state=>this will act as "activate once" for all of the codes that were enabled before)

Yeah, don't item cheats do that? So if I were to use a cheat to get some rare item disabling the cheat might not get rid of the item?
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
Something like that and it's not "might",it won't get rid of it when you disable the code.
(09-13-2014, 06:00 PM)vsub Wrote: I'm not really sure(don't remember if this is correct)but I think patch=0 means,activated the code once and don't freeze the value of the address
patch=1 set the value to the address and force it to stay at that value.
Some games don't revert the value to default once it's changed by using cheats so if patch=0 means "set the value once",the changed address will keep that value.

The normal way to disable cheats is either by adding // infront of patch= or from the "Enable Cheats" menu

I see, that makes sense then. I actually tested it just now by using the regular // method to turn them off, and now it no longer freezes. Never knew that about the patch=0 method.
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60~4.20 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super @ 6 GB | Samsung 980 1TB | Windows 10 Pro x64 (22H2)
(09-13-2014, 07:03 PM)xRyudo Wrote: I see, that makes sense then. I actually tested it just now by using the regular // method to turn them off, and now it no longer freezes. Never knew that about the patch=0 method.

ONe of the Pnach guides in this forum even says "patch=1 - means activated" or something, so no wonder you mistaken that ;P