Subpixel Morphological Antialiasing?
It usually is all about how it looks in motion though.

Sponsored links

It's even harder to notice the difference on a moving scene for me, except for the static UI which I think still look better with FXAA.
(01-05-2012, 12:54 PM)refraction Wrote: Does anybody have a game with some means of metal fencing in an area or some sort of rope mesh (like boat rigging)? That's where we will really see the difference i recon. from what i can see the SMAA method is pretty much super sampled where FXAA is more multi sampled, so gaps can appear in the fencing when viewed from a distance.

it works well for skyrim ;p
Well from what I gathered unless changed recently the SMAA in the is just SMAA1x not SMAAT2x, SMAAS2x or SMAA4x. So it is the Lowest quality of SMAA and it looks like the authors of SMAA are still messing around with it and haven't released the source of anything past T2x.

Also Timothy Lottes of FXAA fame has started talking again on his blog site. Looks like he is doing a complete rewrite of FXAA and is also playing with kicking around some other ideas. So it might not be till mid year or so that we'll get a true comparison of both techniques.
Or maybe we get a new one? Tongue2
I really like how they finally work on getting most of the AA benefit at a fraction of the cost.
AA (+ my native TFT res at the time) was always too demanding on GPU bandwidth.
Well yeah by mid year they might be working on a new idea at the rate they are going. But all progress is good especially for things like pcsx2 which forcing MSAA causes artifacts on.
(01-06-2012, 08:34 AM)dralor Wrote: Well yeah by mid year they might be working on a new idea at the rate they are going. But all progress is good especially for things like pcsx2 which forcing MSAA causes artifacts on.

Just to be sure, msaa is the gsdx option? In this case, I might not implement it on the ogl version. It would save me some headaches Wink
Yes it causes artifacts in most games. Though that could simply be a byproduct of the way gabest forced it and noit a byproduct of forcing MSAA in ps2 emulation. Aka a quirk or error in implementation. I've only taken a very basic opengl course which didn't deal with AA at all so I'm unsure with the peculiarities of it's function as well.
The problem with hardware AA in GSdx is the same problem as with upscaling.
In order to use the GPU for processing, we have to convert the GS native coordinate systems
,which are integer based, into floats.
This conversion inherently imprecise and any form of AA multiplies the error.
You'd think the opposite conversion would be imprecise but going into to float would be doable.