Suikoden III - Slowdown and lag.
Hi.

I have a pretty powerful rig, so I'm not sure why this game is causing so much lag and slowdown. It happens in more open areas like Vinay del Zexay marketplace. My computer consists of:

Intel i5 4690 CPU
Geforce GTX 970
16 GB RAM
256 GB SSD

The video settings such as upscaled resolution don't seem to affect the FPS much. I can get it a bit better with Speedhacks but it makes it very ugly to play as I have to turn up the Speedhacks to high levels. There's got to be some other way or something I'm overlooking. Surely a computer as powerful as mine shouldn't have a problem playing this game, right?

- Fluent

Sponsored links

The marketplace hammers the hell out of the VUs. You need to set VU stealing to 1 or 2 for certain areas, that being one.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Okay, good to know. Thanks!
Quick follow up. I also get some lag during most runes being used in battle. Is there a way to get it to play smoothly without losing the quality of the graphics? I don't mind turning down the graphics a little bit if need be, but some pointers would be great. Thanks,

Fluent
Emulating the game requires background calculations and graphics output. If the VU's are the problem in this game reducing the graphics output load will not yield anything sine the background calculations are bottlenecked.

You can try increasing vu cycle stealing further or setting vu clamping to none.

To avoid sound hiccups you can set synchronization mode in spu2-x plugin settings to async mix instead of timestretch.
What are your setting exactly? GSdx specifically.
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
GSdx is default, I believe. But check this out. The game runs flawlessly now that I used async mix instead of timestretch in the audio settings. Is this possible? I tested it last night and it didn't slowdown even during rune scenes. Strange. Maybe the audio really had something to do with it.
It's possible.

I ran this game on a much weaker rig than yours with VU Stealing at 1 and Async audio and literally the only place I had slowdown was the marketplace.
The marketplace isn't even as laggy as it was prior to setting the audio to Async. I barely noticed it this time, whereas before it ran in slow-motion.

I have VU Stealing at 1, too, just to be sure, and the game runs really well. However, I can't help but I feel I'm not getting a smooth 60 FPS, even though the emulator stats are telling me I am. Perhaps that is the VU Stealing being noticeable, I'm not sure.

But other than that, changing that audio setting has rendered a huge performance upgrade for me. Even the craziest runes don't lag now, which is a great improvement from before where nearly every rune lagged.
I didnt know async mix can yield speedups. Sounds like you skip some audio and therefore get a speedboost. This might be a special case for this game.

Indeed vu cycle stealing can skip frames. The vu is one of the gs (ps2 gpu) feeders. Instead of changing frames the vu misses a frame request and therefore you see the same frame twice and the internal fps are lowered while vsyncs are stable and at full speed.

What happena if you enable mtvu?