Suikoden III's bottleneck
In the past couple of years, PCSX2 has improved to the point where it can play most commercial games no problem with what can now be considered a medium-range system. However, Suikoden III still manages to bring even the most capable PCs to their knees. Has anyone been able to isolate the bottleneck of this game?

Sponsored links

I can run Suikoden 3 on my computer with nothing more than some graphical glitches and one point in the game where it freezes due to speed hacks. I can get 50-60 fps most of the time with it being fullspeed almost always.

I have a core 2 duo 2 Ghz and a Nvidia GeForce 7900 GS graphics card.

Of course I have all speedhacks enabled and VU cycle stealing on all the way up to get that.
AH HA! i found it.

revision 976 still has cycle rate x3.

massive speed up for s3.

100 fps running through the woods.
This game most likely does an agressive wait loop, on top of beeing very VU demanding.
It generates a ton of denormals in the SSE units as well.
Speedhacks greatly help on the aggressive wait loop, the price for that is the game slowing down and getting skippy though.
Interesting, I never knew this before about Suikoden III. Last time I tested it, I had speed hacks on and I was getting full speed. However, I was experiencing substantial controller lag. Would speed hacks be the cause here? If the while loop is that aggressive, it makes sense to me (unless I'm completely misinterpreting how the speed hacks work).
Typically controller lag is caused by having vsync enabled in GSdx.
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team