Tales of the Abyss (Slowdowns and such)
Just started playing Tales of the Abyss (NTSC version) but I've been having these random stutters/slowdowns in certain situations. I get slowdowns in some towns and cutscenes and I get stutters when saving,loading, entering a new area and entering a battle. I've been fooling around with speed hacks, without speed hacks, trying different resolutions and AA levels but I still can't fix it. The one thing I haven't tried is using different graphics plugins because I have no idea what the one ones do and usually the game crashes when I try to load it using them.

PCSX2 version:0.9.7.3113
CPU:i7 920
GPU:nVidia GTX260
RAM:12GB DDR3

Sponsored links

(08-06-2010, 04:23 AM)Pacmaney Wrote: Just started playing Tales of the Abyss (NTSC version) but I've been having these random stutters/slowdowns in certain situations. I get slowdowns in some towns and cutscenes and I get stutters when saving,loading, entering a new area and entering a battle. I've been fooling around with speed hacks, without speed hacks, trying different resolutions and AA levels but I still can't fix it. The one thing I haven't tried is using different graphics plugins because I have no idea what the one ones do and usually the game crashes when I try to load it using them.

PCSX2 version:0.9.7.3113
CPU:i7 920
GPU:nVidia GTX260
RAM:12GB DDR3
I've experienced something similar. Seemingly Random framerate dips in certain areas. But it hasn't been too bad. Maybe dipping down to 50 FPS. Slow downs for Saving/loading, and battle transitions appear to be related to whether the area is a slow down area because in an area where the game goes at normal speeds battle transitions and saving are smooth as well. It's annoying but manageable since the battles (the important thing) are smooth as butter.

Thing that bothers me is the damn ghosting in bright areas. I've heard it has to do with running at a high internal resolution, but it's so pretty like that.

For reference. I'm using the same version as you, with the GSDX plugin, 1920*1080 (keeping the 4:3 Aspect Ratio intact though) resolution with 2048*2048 Internal Resolution and no speed hacks.

CPU: Core 2 Duo 3.06
GPU: 9800 GTX+
RAM 4 GB DDR2
Windows 7 64
many the problems for both should reduce avoiding AA and reducing the internal resolution where it applies... Emulation is not the same thing as running native PC games and the CPU is somewhat more loaded, neither those CPUs have the juice for that. Try it and things should enhance by a significant amount.
Imagination is where we are truly real
Yea, keep the Anti Aliasing disabled no matter what.
Currently using 768 by 768, no AA, 2x EE Cyclerate, Wait Loop Detection,Spin Detection, 1 VU Cycle stealing. Improved performance somewhat, still getting crashes and slowdowns however. Also the bloom is messed up is some places.
(08-06-2010, 10:16 PM)Pacmaney Wrote: Currently using 768 by 768, no AA, 2x EE Cyclerate, Wait Loop Detection,Spin Detection, 1 VU Cycle stealing. Improved performance somewhat, still getting crashes and slowdowns however. Also the bloom is messed up is some places.

The bloom is not present in a lot of games with Dx9, have you tried that? I did it in Yakuza 2 and it worked perfect (No bloom)

DX10 = full bloom in many games Sad
PC:
EVGA 600 +80 PSU
NVIDIA GTX 550ti EVGA 2GB VRAM
[Image: hj0zqy-4.png]
(08-06-2010, 10:35 PM)Butz_san Wrote:
(08-06-2010, 10:16 PM)Pacmaney Wrote: Currently using 768 by 768, no AA, 2x EE Cyclerate, Wait Loop Detection,Spin Detection, 1 VU Cycle stealing. Improved performance somewhat, still getting crashes and slowdowns however. Also the bloom is messed up is some places.

The bloom is not present in a lot of games with Dx9, have you tried that? I did it in Yakuza 2 and it worked perfect (No bloom)

DX10 = full bloom in many games Sad

PCSX2 crashes when I try to load it using DX9, it also crashes when I try to change some settings. I've also just experienced a crash during a boss battle.
Hmm did you overclock your i7? That can be causing the crashes which means bad overclocking Sad. Besides don't use AA, it's too slow even on next-gen machines
PC:
EVGA 600 +80 PSU
NVIDIA GTX 550ti EVGA 2GB VRAM
[Image: hj0zqy-4.png]
(08-07-2010, 12:30 AM)Butz_san Wrote: Hmm did you overclock your i7? That can be causing the crashes which means bad overclocking Sad. Besides don't use AA, it's too slow even on next-gen machines

Was contemplating overclocking because 2.66 Ghz is pretty weak. But if it ruins compatibility with emulators then I guess I won't.
As long as your overclocking is stable there is no problem.
Specs:
CPU: C2D E8400 @ 3.6
GPU: GTX 560Ti 2Gb
MOB: Asus P5QL
RAM: Crucial 4Gb