Tales of the Abyss starts fast but gets slow
hi,

this is my first time using pcsx2 and im pretty impressed.
now ive set everything up according to the guide, loaded tales of the abyss and started playing, at first everything seems fine video and sound are good and the framerate is around 60 but then for no apparent reason everything gets slower and slower in fact the whole pc gets slow until i quit the game. So yea i kinda need help.
Specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo P8700 @ 2.53 GHz
4gb ram
Nvidia GTX 260M
pcsx2 settings:
-all speedhacks enabled (the slowing down happened before i put speedhacks too)
-The recommended plugins
-Direct 3D10 Hardware
-2x native resolution
-Texture filtering ticked

hope somebody knows wat to do
thanks in advanced

Sponsored links

Don't use all speed hacks, those will get you false FPS readings and can cause (and usually do) more damage than good. Your best bet is to stick to the recommended speed hacks.

While TotA isn't the toughest PS2 game to emulate, it is a little more on the high end. Because of this your CPU is going to be sub-par for this game... I can barely get the game running full speed all the time with speed hacks on my i5 dual core laptop... that desktop is a good 25-35% slower by comparison.
[Image: 2748844.png]
i c well thts not very encouraging^^
wat i still dont understand is that the game runs fine (obviously not like a real ps2 but definately playable!) for about 5 minutes even fighting and all and then just slows down more and more. does it help when i know when it happened the first time? i started the game and when i got to the first save point i saved and but i had to format the memory card thats when everything became slow.
Are you on the last build of pcsx2?

I played TOTA for 12h without any weird slowdown....

Sometime, in some town, the game runs at 50 fps... But the most of time, the game runs at 70fps...

Here's my spec:
9600gt
Core 2 duo 2.66ghz
Ram 3go clocked at 660mhz
3x native
With all recommended speedhack plus mtvu

If you want constant 60fps anywhere, put to 1 the right unrecommended speedhack, but be careful... The game can crash with that speedhack...
you need at least intel core i5 2.8ghz above

time for you to buy new com

use directX 9 don't use directX 10(extra+++ performance) not recommended for direct x 10 uses

use directX 10 you need at least high end com or else super lag due to directX 10 extra performance than directX 9

use all setting to default then try again

don't anyhow use speedhack no use cannot mean cannot no need to use speed hack

currently normal setting for ps2 emulator is fps 60 limit anymore than that is outsync and other problem such as game runs very fast

ps2 machine hardware spec

CPU: 64-bit[3][4] "Emotion Engine" clocked at 294.912 MHz (299 MHz on newer versions), 10.5 million transistors
System memory: 32 MB Direct Rambus or RDRAM
Memory bus Bandwidth: 3.2 gigabytes per second
Main processor: MIPS R5900 CPU core, 64-bit, little endian (mipsel).
Coprocessor: FPU (Floating Point Multiply Accumulator × 1, Floating Point Divider × 1)
Vector Units: VU0 and VU1 (Floating Point Multiply Accumulator × 9, Floating Point Divider × 1), 32-bit, at 150 MHz.
VU0 typically used for polygon transformations optionally (under parallel or serial connection), physics and other gameplay based things
VU1 typically used for polygon transformations, lighting and other visual based calculations (Texture matrix able for 2 coordinates (UV/ST)[47])
Parallel: Results of VU0/FPU sent as another display list via MFIFO (E.G. complex characters/vehichles/etc.)
Serial: Results of VU0/FPU sent to VU1 (via 3 methods) and can act as an optional geometry pre-processor that does all base work to update the scene every frame (E.G. camera, perspective, boning and laws of movement such as animations or physics) [48]
Floating Point Performance: 6.2 gigaFLOPS (single precision 32-bit floating point)
FPU 0.64 gigaFLOPS
VU0 2.44 gigaFLOPS
VU1 3.08 gigaFLOPS (with Internal 0.64 gigaFLOPS EFU)
Tri-Strip Geometric transformation (VU0+VU1): 150 million polygons per second[49]
3D CG Geometric transformation with raw 3D perspective operations (VU0+VU1): 66-80+ million polygons per second[47]
3D CG Geometric transformations at peak bones/movements/effects (textures)/lights (VU0+VU1, parallel or series): 15–20 million polygons per second[49]
Actual real-world polygons (per frame):500-650k at 30fps, 250-325k at 60fps
Compressed Image Decoder: MPEG-2
I/O Processor interconnection: Remote Procedure Call over a serial link, DMA controller for bulk transfer
Cache memory: Instruction: 16 KB, Data: 8 KB + 16 KB (ScrP)

Graphics processing unit: "Graphics Synthesizer" clocked at 147 MHz
Pixel pipelines: 16
Video output resolution: variable from 256x224 to 1280x1024 pixels
4 MB Embedded DRAM video memory bandwidth at 48 gigabytes per second (main system 32 MB can be dedicated into VRAM for off-screen materials)
Texture buffer bandwidth: 9.6 GB/s
Frame buffer bandwidth: 38.4 GB/s
DRAM Bus width: 2560-bit (composed of three independent buses: 1024-bit write, 1024-bit read, 512-bit read/write)
Pixel configuration: RGB: Alpha:Z Buffer (24:8, 15:1 for RGB, 16, 24, or 32-bit Z buffer)
Dedicated connection to: Main CPU and VU1
Overall pixel fillrate: 16x147 = 2.352 Gpixel/s (rounded to 2.4 Gpixel/s)
Pixel fillrate: with no texture, flat shaded 2.4 (75,000,000 32pixel raster triangles)
Pixel fillrate: with 1 full texture (Diffuse Map), Gouraud shaded 1.2 (37,750,000 32-bit pixel raster triangles)
Pixel fillrate: with 2 full textures (Diffuse map + specular or alpha or other), Gouraud shaded 0.6 (18,750,000 32-bit pixel raster triangles)
GS effects: AAx2 (poly sorting required),[47] Bilinear, Trilinear, Multi-pass, Palletizing (4-bit = 6:1 ratio, 8-bit = 3:1)
Multi-pass rendering ability
Four passes = 300 Mpixel/s (300 Mpixels/s divided by 32 pixels = 9,375,000 triangles/s lost every four passes)[50]

Audio: "SPU1+SPU2" (SPU1 is actually the CPU clocked at 8 MHz)
Sound Memory: 2 MB
Number of voices: 48 hardware channels of ADPCM on SPU2 plus software-mixed channels
Sampling Frequency: 44.1 kHz or 48 kHz (selectable)
Output: Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround sound, DTS (Full motion video only), later games achieved analog 5.1 surround during gameplay through Dolby Pro Logic II
I/O Processor
I/O Memory: 2 MB
CPU Core: Original PlayStation CPU (MIPS R3000A clocked at 33.8688 MHz or 37.5 MHz)
Automatically underclocked to 33.8688 MHz to achieve hardware backwards compatibility with original PlayStation format games.
Sub Bus: 32-bit
Connection to: SPU and CD/DVD controller.
What are you talking about?

Don't use speedhack? Why should we don't use them? Do you mean that coder lost their time working on them?

Also, yes, when you disable fps limiter the game runs faster then normal speed, I like that....

Please stop posting ps2 specs... people don't give a ***** of them in this thread...

I run tota at 60fps with c2d clocked @2.66ghz, so why do you think he can't run that game at this speed...

Don't use directx10? Why.. If that was actually worse then directx9, the coder will propably don't waste his time to support that....
ok sorry try this

1. change to direct X 9 hardware stable
2.enable speed hack adjust 1-EE 0-vu
3.tick 8bit texture
4.tick texture filter
5. tick wait for vsync
6. tick enable wait loop detection

see got improve or not
Quote:now ive set everything up according to the guide, loaded tales of the abyss and started playing, at first everything seems fine video and sound are good and the framerate is around 60 but then for no apparent reason everything gets slower and slower in fact the whole pc gets slow until i quit the game. So yea i kinda need help.
Specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo P8700 @ 2.53 GHz

There's your issue, you're on a laptop, the problem is your laptop is getting so hot (due to the emulator being intensive) that it's slowing down to try and reduce the heat it produces, which is why your entire computer slows down.

i suggest finding ways to improve your laptops cooling, or play it on a desktop computer.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(09-23-2011, 05:24 AM)hell321 Wrote: you need at least intel core i5 2.8ghz above

time for you to buy new com

use directX 9 don't use directX 10(extra+++ performance) not recommended for direct x 10 uses

use directX 10 you need at least high end com or else super lag due to directX 10 extra performance than directX 9

use all setting to default then try again

don't anyhow use speedhack no use cannot mean cannot no need to use speed hack

currently normal setting for ps2 emulator is fps 60 limit anymore than that is outsync and other problem such as game runs very fast

ps2 machine hardware spec
Code:
CPU: 64-bit[3][4] "Emotion Engine" clocked at 294.912 MHz (299 MHz on newer versions), 10.5 million transistors
System memory: 32 MB Direct Rambus or RDRAM
Memory bus Bandwidth: 3.2 gigabytes per second
Main processor: MIPS R5900 CPU core, 64-bit, little endian (mipsel).
Coprocessor: FPU (Floating Point Multiply Accumulator × 1, Floating Point Divider × 1)
Vector Units: VU0 and VU1 (Floating Point Multiply Accumulator × 9, Floating Point Divider × 1), 32-bit, at 150 MHz.
VU0 typically used for polygon transformations optionally (under parallel or serial connection), physics and other gameplay based things
VU1 typically used for polygon transformations, lighting and other visual based calculations (Texture matrix able for 2 coordinates (UV/ST)[47])
Parallel: Results of VU0/FPU sent as another display list via MFIFO (E.G. complex characters/vehichles/etc.)
Serial: Results of VU0/FPU sent to VU1 (via 3 methods) and can act as an optional geometry pre-processor that does all base work to update the scene every frame (E.G. camera, perspective, boning and laws of movement such as animations or physics) [48]
Floating Point Performance: 6.2 gigaFLOPS (single precision 32-bit floating point)
FPU 0.64 gigaFLOPS
VU0 2.44 gigaFLOPS
VU1 3.08 gigaFLOPS (with Internal 0.64 gigaFLOPS EFU)
Tri-Strip Geometric transformation (VU0+VU1): 150 million polygons per second[49]
3D CG Geometric transformation with raw 3D perspective operations (VU0+VU1): 66-80+ million polygons per second[47]
3D CG Geometric transformations at peak bones/movements/effects (textures)/lights (VU0+VU1, parallel or series): 15–20 million polygons per second[49]
Actual real-world polygons (per frame):500-650k at 30fps, 250-325k at 60fps
Compressed Image Decoder: MPEG-2
I/O Processor interconnection: Remote Procedure Call over a serial link, DMA controller for bulk transfer
Cache memory: Instruction: 16 KB, Data: 8 KB + 16 KB (ScrP)

Graphics processing unit: "Graphics Synthesizer" clocked at 147 MHz
Pixel pipelines: 16
Video output resolution: variable from 256x224 to 1280x1024 pixels
4 MB Embedded DRAM video memory bandwidth at 48 gigabytes per second (main system 32 MB can be dedicated into VRAM for off-screen materials)
Texture buffer bandwidth: 9.6 GB/s
Frame buffer bandwidth: 38.4 GB/s
DRAM Bus width: 2560-bit (composed of three independent buses: 1024-bit write, 1024-bit read, 512-bit read/write)
Pixel configuration: RGB: Alpha:Z Buffer (24:8, 15:1 for RGB, 16, 24, or 32-bit Z buffer)
Dedicated connection to: Main CPU and VU1
Overall pixel fillrate: 16x147 = 2.352 Gpixel/s (rounded to 2.4 Gpixel/s)
Pixel fillrate: with no texture, flat shaded 2.4 (75,000,000 32pixel raster triangles)
Pixel fillrate: with 1 full texture (Diffuse Map), Gouraud shaded 1.2 (37,750,000 32-bit pixel raster triangles)
Pixel fillrate: with 2 full textures (Diffuse map + specular or alpha or other), Gouraud shaded 0.6 (18,750,000 32-bit pixel raster triangles)
GS effects: AAx2 (poly sorting required),[47] Bilinear, Trilinear, Multi-pass, Palletizing (4-bit = 6:1 ratio, 8-bit = 3:1)
Multi-pass rendering ability
Four passes = 300 Mpixel/s (300 Mpixels/s divided by 32 pixels = 9,375,000 triangles/s lost every four passes)[50]

Audio: "SPU1+SPU2" (SPU1 is actually the CPU clocked at 8 MHz)
Sound Memory: 2 MB
Number of voices: 48 hardware channels of ADPCM on SPU2 plus software-mixed channels
Sampling Frequency: 44.1 kHz or 48 kHz (selectable)
Output: Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround sound, DTS (Full motion video only), later games achieved analog 5.1 surround during gameplay through Dolby Pro Logic II
I/O Processor
I/O Memory: 2 MB
CPU Core: Original PlayStation CPU (MIPS R3000A clocked at 33.8688 MHz or 37.5 MHz)
Automatically underclocked to 33.8688 MHz to achieve hardware backwards compatibility with original PlayStation format games.
Sub Bus: 32-bit
Connection to: SPU and CD/DVD controller.

Seriously, you have already got 5 spam warnings for posting the same useless crap all over the forum. One more and you're banned.
[Image: newsig.jpg]