Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Techies - what can we expect from PS4?
Hi

I know, the PS4 is still years away. Either way, this is a speculation thread, and I hope some of the more tech-minded people here can contribute what they feel we can realistically expect from Sony's new system.

Some questions I've got to kick things off.

1. Now that HD TV is standard, will the PS4 be able to render ALL games at 1080p/60fps? This gen we've gotten (on average) sub 720p at 30fps for most games, and that's disappointing, though of course the PS3 is now 5 year old technology (finalised specs in 2005, released at end of 2006) - so maybe it's not that disappointing after all. Or at the very least, can we expect 720p/60fps as the MINIMUM?

2. How will the PS4 compare to, say, a top of the line PC from today? Graphics cards like the Geforce 580 GTX, available now, are monstrous pieces of technology, though if say the PS4 launches in 2012-2013, realistically they should be able to have an even BETTER GPU (fun fact - the 580 GTX has TEN times as many transistors as the RSX GPU in Sony's PS3!)
How about the CPU? Can we expect CELL to continue in the PS4, buffed up and able to outclass a 2010 top-of-the-range CPU?

That's all I've got for now, can't wait to hopefully read some of the more technically in-depth posts.

Sponsored links

Expect either a custom or an adapted standard GPU of that years top class and a CPU likely similar to CELL.
The CPU may not even get as much of a speedup as I think that won't be needed. Maybe I'm wrong though Tongue2
Output resolution depends on how much you tax your brand new GPU but I expect it to be able to deliver 30FPS
in all games at 1080p resolution.

It's probable that full games will come as download or on a disk, for likely similar prices.
(12-03-2010, 12:48 PM)rama Wrote: It's probable that full games will come as download or on a disk, for likely similar prices.

The way things are now, with Steam being as hugely successful as it is, it's likely for console games to start doing that with their marketplace/online store too by the time the PS4 is out. However, if they do that, I'm sure it'll be a second option, not the ONLY option, so they'll sell downloadable games as well as physical copies on disc. There's no way they'll go to a download-only scheme until internet companies stop charging for download limits, rather than just connection speed. Not to mention the failure of the PSPGo.
The only reason I like Steam downloads is because you can back them up, I'll never go to download-only if I only have that 1 virtual copy.
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K @3.5 GHz
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 680 2GB
I expect the PS4 to deliver 1080p @150 FPS to deliver flicker free 3D imagery @75 hertz.

They started the 3D stuff now they should roll with it. ;P

Seeing really detailed 1080p @60 FPS would still be enough tho.
Im not expecting much, but im sure i'll probably make Microsoft's Box 360 shiver in fear.
I'm inactive on this, dedicating most of my time to osu!
(12-03-2010, 12:48 PM)rama Wrote: Expect either a custom or an adapted standard GPU of that years top class and a CPU likely similar to CELL.
The CPU may not even get as much of a speedup as I think that won't be needed. Maybe I'm wrong though Tongue2
Output resolution depends on how much you tax your brand new GPU but I expect it to be able to deliver 30FPS
in all games at 1080p resolution.

It's probable that full games will come as download or on a disk, for likely similar prices.

nvidia 460 fermi

1.5gb ram

12 core cpu

no dvd rom drive *thus eliminating piracy*
games in file types computers cant reconize

built in 720p 12 inch screen

80gb ssd

8 player support

32 player online support

wouldnt all this be nice

$580

for 360

6core cpu
ati radeon 5750
1gb ram
12gb hdd
no dvd drive
*the ability too add on a 12 inch screen*
$320

would that be well... correct?
long ago in a distant city, i batman defender of gotham unleashed an unspeakable order. but a foolish clown wielding a menasing laugh steped forth too opose me.
(12-09-2010, 03:00 AM)kekdeyardrat Wrote: 12 core cpu, nvidia 460 fermi, 1.5gb ram, 80gb ssd
no dvd rom drive *thus eliminating piracy*
games in file types computers cant reconize
built in 720p 12 inch screen

8 player support, 32 player online support

~$580

for 360 (720)

6core cpu, ati radeon 5750, 1gb ram, 12gb hdd
no dvd drive
*the ability too add on a 12 inch screen*

~$320

You a $ony fanboy aren't ya? Thus you'd pay 600 for that?!

You probably got the numbers wrong on the HDD numbers. Cause the PS4 might need 800 GB to mount all the stuff games deliver these days. And They won't deliver games on flash drives next years, probably Blu-Ray again. So What you gonna do without a drive. Next is that current high class HDDs outperform SSDs easily. Also this gen PS-Box is known to eat discs. So you better install all the games before it happens. Tongue

*Coder's Choice* That X720 looks really good if they'd do it like that. If they'd do the shared RAM/VRAM they'd be really kewl. So 2GB GDDR6 would be nice to feed the 3.14Ghz Hexa-Core and maybe sharing it with a 7x00 ATI. Also 512 GB of a fast HDD (or 2 ones for a faster RAID) is good if used right. Maybe adding a port to get a flash drive on to really betatest games on 4 GB-flash-cartridges again (this technique is so old).

Overall M$ would get a 500 from me.

*Viewer's Choice* And please?! You don' wanna 8-play on a whatever screen. You get a octoed 320x360 on the builtin 720p screen. You really wanna play like that if it comes to the worst case scenario?? Ewwww. >.<

Ohh God. I love to light up hardcore fanboys. ;P
(12-09-2010, 04:54 AM)haxor Wrote: You a $ony fanboy aren't ya? Thus you'd pay 600 for that?!

You probably got the numbers wrong on the HDD numbers. Cause the PS4 might need 800 GB to mount all the stuff games deliver these days. And They won't deliver games on flash drives next years, probably Blu-Ray again. So What you gonna do without a drive. Next is that current high class HDDs outperform SSDs easily. Also this gen PS-Box is known to eat discs. So you better install all the games before it happens. Tongue

*Coder's Choice* That X720 looks really good if they'd do it like that. If they'd do the shared RAM/VRAM they'd be really kewl. So 2GB GDDR6 would be nice to feed the 3.14Ghz Hexa-Core and maybe sharing it with a 7x00 ATI. Also 512 GB of a fast HDD (or 2 ones for a faster RAID) is good if used right. Maybe adding a port to get a flash drive on to really betatest games on 4 GB-flash-cartridges again (this technique is so old).

Overall M$ would get a 500 from me.

*Viewer's Choice* And please?! You don' wanna 8-play on a whatever screen. You get a octoed 320x360 on the builtin 720p screen. You really wanna play like that if it comes to the worst case scenario?? Ewwww. >.<

Ohh God. I love to light up hardcore fanboys. ;P

if i was going too be a fanboy of any system it would be a pc, but its nice too know you like too light up sony fanboys
but really why would you start too troll on such peceful forums?
really one of my reasons for coming here is because there arent any trolls.

[HHD]
no current hdds out preform ssds
the reason that you would think an hdd out preforms an ssd is because ssds were released a little too early for todays technolegy
there isnt a proper way too compare an hdd too an ssd yet, you would need loads of hardware until you max out one of the drives.
but still an ssd read time is alot faster than an hdd read time because it doesnt have too spin the disc it can instantly read the data.
if you still believe otherwise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lR0XoHFU6Y

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-lR0XoHFU6Y?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-lR0XoHFU6Y?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

this is linus from ncix he is my favorite source for the latest hardware and hardware testing

[dvd rom bays]
i figure that sony would not have a dvd rom bay because even sony said that blu ray was just a phase. I have reason too believe this will happen because of the psp go as it doesnt have a dvd rom bay, its much cheaper too not have too make one and it gives more frames. also when was the last time you heard someone say "ive got too go too the store too buy an iphone game"
iphones have downloadablr games, pc's have downloadable direct 2 drive games through steam, psp has downloadable games the only system left is the 360 and ps3, oh wait they also have downloadable games and including god of war 3 and halo reach as examples.
think about not having to worry about scratched discs or changing dvds/games or loosing one by accident.

[screen]
i say 12inch screen because usually when sony produces a line of systems such as the ps3, they produce the first line with out as much care so they can bring out a next version of that system with better quality so they can get more money.*ps3 40gb to 60gb too 80gb too 120gb slim* also its a technolgy thing.
for instance they could start with a 12inch screen move too a 17 inch and then too a 20-21 inch.

long ago in a distant city, i batman defender of gotham unleashed an unspeakable order. but a foolish clown wielding a menasing laugh steped forth too opose me.
580(and better) in ps4 sounds interesting, but i dont think Sony will try to sell at 599$ again. So hardware could be not so high end.

Quote:I expect the PS4 to deliver 1080p @150 FPS to deliver flicker free 3D imagery @75 hertz.
that is nonsense. fps and hertz are different things.
75/150 hertz need to be supported by TV and hdmi-standarts.
It still could be 30 fps with either of those refresh rates and be flicker free. But at least 40 fps would be nicer.
Phenom II X4 940 3 Ghz / 8 gb RAM 800 / Geforce GTX 460 / win7 64
(12-09-2010, 11:00 AM)tohdom Wrote: that is nonsense. fps and hertz are different things.
75/150 hertz need to be supported by TV and hdmi-standarts.
It still could be 30 fps with either of those refresh rates and be flicker free. But at least 40 fps would be nicer.

Not for the context of 3D and shutterglass technique you need native 2 x 75 = 150 FPS to get flicker free non-blurred graphics. And believe me I checked that on an oscilloscope at my IT BASICS course. So I'm talking crap?! sure Wink