Tekken 5 Configuration... Weird
Exclamation 
Hello! Smile
I have been playing DBZ Tenkaichi 3 NTSC on the latest beta and it runs beautifully, even on multiplayer.
Now I'm trying to play Tekken 5 NTSC. I have tried all possible configurations -yes, I have been looking around the forums, google, etc- and I always have the same issue: CPU load is around 50 -60%... I have a CPU monitor and it shows that PCSX2 is only using properly one of the cores, the other one is barely on 30%. Im talking about in-game, btw. With Tenkaichi 3 it goes on 100%, getting 100% FPS... I don't get it... Why doesn't Tekken fully use my CPU?
The only thing I haven't touched is the Advanced configuration, cuz I don't know what is it all about... I guess that if it works fine like that on Tenkaichi 3, it should be fine on Tekken 5, but you tell me.
Also, I don't seem to be able to fix an subtle but annoying screen shaking... Tongue

My specs are:

PCSX2 Beta 1474 (Tried same settings on PCSX2 0.9.6)
GSdx 1479 (MSVC 15.00, SSE41) 0.1.15

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @3.00GHz
4Gb of RAM 800MHz I think
Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 - Latest MSI drivers

It should be quite enough for running Tekken... Im also thinking on overclocking the CPU since my motherboard has hardware overclocking switches. Laugh

Any Idea of what my problem is?? Sad

Sponsored links

Why not try the newest beta r1736. It fixes the CPU affinity bug from r1474.
Nappa: Vegeta! What does the scouter say about his power level?
Vegeta: It's...one thousand and six.
Nappa: Wh-...really?
Vegeta: Yeah! Beat him up Nappa!
Nappa: Yay!
(09-10-2009, 03:48 AM)dr_thrax Wrote: Why not try the newest beta r1736. It fixes the CPU affinity bug from r1474.

On my way. Smile
(09-10-2009, 03:48 AM)dr_thrax Wrote: Why not try the newest beta r1736. It fixes the CPU affinity bug from r1474.

Ok, now it's much, much better. Around 70-80% FPS. But guess what... CPU load 40-60% in-game...

WTF??? Blink

I can see one core is at 70-100%, the other at 30-50%...
What could it be??
Is 40-60% what the top of pcsx2 shows or is that what task manager shows? If pcsx2 is showing that, and you're getting 70-80% fps, it means that you are slightly cpu limited. Or should I say, 3.0ghz is probably not enough for that particular game.
A quick solution would be to try some of the speed hacks and see if it improves anything. I would start with the EE hacks.
Nappa: Vegeta! What does the scouter say about his power level?
Vegeta: It's...one thousand and six.
Nappa: Wh-...really?
Vegeta: Yeah! Beat him up Nappa!
Nappa: Yay!
Set the "vu cycle stealing" speedhack to the max it should give you a big boost in speed :P
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
(09-10-2009, 04:26 AM)dr_thrax Wrote: Is 40-60% what the top of pcsx2 shows or is that what task manager shows? If pcsx2 is showing that, and you're getting 70-80% fps, it means that you are slightly cpu limited. Or should I say, 3.0ghz is probably not enough for that particular game.
A quick solution would be to try some of the speed hacks and see if it improves anything. I would start with the EE hacks.

pcsx2 is telling me 40-60%. Now i checked in task manager and its an average of 80%. Still not 100% though, but yeah, you were right... Any way to get it up to 100%?
I have all speed hacks on. I have been tweaking it for a while until I found the best performance... Guess I will have to overclock. Tongue

Oh yeah! I have Dynamic OverClocking activated... Shouldn't it Oc the CPU when Needed?
Thanx for the help! Smile
(09-10-2009, 04:33 AM)Shadow Lady Wrote: Set the "vu cycle stealing" speedhack to the max it should give you a big boost in speed Tongue

Tried already... Gives A LOT of artifacts on screen... lines, squares, colors... like a filter on top of the screen... Tongue
(09-10-2009, 04:34 AM)Xpid3r Wrote: [quote='dr_thrax' pid='75526' dateline='1252549586']
pcsx2 is telling me 40-60%. Now i checked in task manager and its an average of 80%. Still not 100% though, but yeah, you were right... Any way to get it up to 100%?

uhm pcsx2 uses MTGS for the dualcore/multi-thread which makes pcsx2 use the first core/thread and the GS plugin use the second, there's not many situations when both are needed 100% that's why windows's task manager shows less than that 100%. In a dual core each core represents 50% (1/2) for a total of 100%

Now this "40-60%" you see in the GS window is just the cpu use for the GS plugin (so the second core, and it becomes 20-30% since it's half) if it isnt getting close to the 99-100% it means the game is limited by pcsx2 (so like your first core is being used at it's max so 50%), take those 2 and add them together: 50% full on first core and 30% on second core, which totals 80% which is what the task manager is telling you. The fact the task manager doesnt show any core being used 100% is just because windows is spreading the load.

As an interesting note older versions of PCSX2 would use 100% of each core all the time but it wasnt necessary and just caused extra heat and no extra speed anyway :P
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
Yeah, but seeing more and more threads about pcsx2 "not using my full cpu powaa!1" makes me think we should put it back.
Less fps, more heat, but finally these threads stop...

Joking, of course Tongue2
Dude! you have E8400! What the *beep* are you waiting for? go overclock it to above 4ghz NOW! >.> And enjoy ANY game at full speed... And forget about speedhacks with your CPU.
Check my profile for hardware/software and games i played on PCSX2.