[Testers Wanted] PCSX2-CE for OS X (v1.0!)

I put together a working Wineskin port of PCSX2 with a working title of PCSX2-CE (ConsoleEmu). It runs the latest official Windows build of PCSX2! It's a pretty big download so it's currently hosted at FileFactory: you can download it here (updated Jan 28, 2014).

For detailed instructions on how to get it working, check out this tutorial on my website.

Instructions for advanced users:

1. Download the latest version of PCSX2-CE from the link above
  2. Download XQuartz
  3. Install the PCSX2 bios (drag it onto the "Drop PS2 bios files here" shortcut")
  4. Code:
    winetricks msxml3 d3dx9_36 vcrun2010
  5. Install Nvidia Cg Toolkit into the bundle
  6. Double-click PCSX2-CE.app
  7. Enjoy!

If you have time to give it a try, I'd like to know if it works for you and if you have any suggestions on how I could make it easier to use!

Specifics:
  • Based on PCSX2 1.0.0
  • Includes some plugins from recent SVN builds: USBqemu r5582 0.1.0, ZeroSPU2 r5403-Dev 0.4.6, ZeroGS 0.97.1

Sponsored links

Why is it so large?

If it really works, this is MASSIVE news and very great! I don't have a mac to try though.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(01-09-2014, 12:11 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: Why is it so large?

It's large because the .app bundle contains PCSX2 and Wine, which is a free and open-source way to run Windows binaries. Wine is a few hundred MBs because it acts as a complete Windows install, so that drives up the file size.

The good thing is that you only have to download that large file once. You can just put newer version of the Windows PCSX2 in the "pcsx2" folder inside the PCSX2-CE.app bundle (PCSX2-CE.app/drive_c/Program Files/pcsx2).

Once you're back at your Mac, give it a try and let me know how it goes!
I know what Wine is. I didn't know it was all included in that bundle, but that makes sense why it's so big.

I don't have a Mac at all. But I just know we get users on here trying to use PCSX2 mac which the newest version of is 0.9.7 and that sucks for them. So if this works, it is a major thing.

Once we get some reports of it working, I will sticky it.

Does it only work in software or does OGL work too?
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Yeah, trying to run 0.9.7 is a nightmare. I gave up on PCSX2 for OS X when it overwrote my 64-bit libraries with 32-bit versions (then I couldn't compile anything).

This definitely does work using the ZeroGS plugin to work. I haven't tested other plugins extensively, and I didn't try to install the Windows version of CG or anything like that. I was just looking for the easiest way to get it working. I took the screenshot in the first post of FFX Monday.

If you do know any Mac users who'd like to test this, I'd definitely appreciate any feedback.
I don't know any mac users, but they will be around I'm sure. You might change the title of your thread to have a "Testers wanted" at the start of it. I forget if regular users can change their thread titles though. If you can't, I will change it if you want.

So what you've basically made is a preconfigured wine package that will run PCSX2 on mac, right?

A big thing would be if GSDX works. ZeroGS is kinda old. But even if it doesn't this is still great because it will let mac users use the latest core emu code.
Good advice. I updated the title.

And you got it. I used Wineskin and installed the necessary dependencies (vc2010, d3dx3 or whichever). It looks like a regular Mac .app bundle, so it's great for the average Mac user.

I'll do some work on getting GSDX to work. I've seen posts on here detailing how to use Wine to run the Windows version of PCSX2, but this way is much, much easier. (Looks like this post used the CG framework and everything. I'll get an updated bundle going.)
Wineskin is a way to package a complete wine version (updated/configured as required by the application) with an application such that it ends up as a single OS X application (on OS X that's a .app file which contains everything inside), which is way easier for users to install than to first install wine itself, then update windows stuff (install msxml3, vcrt2010, etc). This ends up basically a not-emulated windows together with the executable it's intended to run. Considering that today's games are typically much more than 1G, adding ~200mb for the "windows environment to run them" is not too bad, and much easier for end users.

I didn't try the version which the OP posted, but I did manage to create a wineskin pcsx2 myself, and it almost works perfectly. In fact, the only thing which didn't work is gsdx, but zerogs0.97 does work. Lilypad and Sound work too! Smile

I tried this on a 2010 MBA, which is quite slow in today's terms, and yet, the main bios screen runs at more than 60fps with no visible glitches (though at preset 5), and ICO runs at about 10fps (into the game itself), though zerogs has some glitches.

GSdx is a bit annoying. With the 1.0 release, the configuration panel shows, but both dx9 hw/sw show black screen (though with the black screen in hw mode, ico actually runs in more than 60fps, with the sound of the 3d intro fully working, but black screen).

I also tried the latest GSdx 580x, and it requires msvcrt10, which i installed into the wineskin app using winetricks. But before that, it also needs msxml3, but since it's not available on the MS download pages anymore, I got it from http://code.google.com/p/winetricks/issu...ail?id=203 (it needs to be put at /.cache/winetricks/msxml3 - the winetricks script shows where to put it).

Then pcsx2 manages to load the new gsdx, but the configuration dialog always crashes pcsx2. So I tried different rendering engines by editing the gsdx.ini file but it always either crashes quickly (without displaying anything on screen) or, with the opengl rendered, complains that the opengl version is not enough (it says it needs 3.0 but only has 2).

But otherwise, pcsx2 itself seems to work perfectly, emulation settings work, mtvu works, lilypad and spu2x work great (i used the wave out audio), zerogs works but has glitches, and speed seems to not suffer much from running inside wine (if at all, i don't know how fast it would run on windows since I don't have bootcamp-windows on this machine to compare).

If only gsdx had an SDL output, or would have lower opengl version requirements for SW mode, it would have been great Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Yeah, you've basically taken a many step complicated process and made it a 1 click deal. That's why I say this is huge if it works.

I am excited to see when people start testing.

Of course there will be problems and issues. Compatibility probably won't be the same. But even if the compatibility is only slightly better, it's still easier than what people have to do now, I think.

What about ZZ ogl? I know it can work on windows with the Nvidia CG toolkit. Isn't it a more advanced version of ZeroGS?
zz ogl doesn't show because the plugin doesn't init. Not sure how to install the CG toolkit to make it load. But I doubt it's much better than zerogs. What we need next is gsdx in sw mode, which currently doesn't work.

- edit -
So I installed the toolkit into wine from here https://developer.nvidia.com/cg-toolkit-download

Both plugins (ZZ OGL PG CG 0.3.0 and PG 0.4.0) show and can be configured, but on boot, both crash pcsx2 for me.