The Best Settings for Valkyrie Profile 2
Changing resolution doesn't affect your fps couse VP2 is more CPU limited in your case. Speedhacks set too high will just give false fps reading in this game and possibly slowing the game even more than without them. Unfortunately you can't do much more with this, it's just one of those more demanding ones.
Unless you can upgrade or OverClock your cpu, but then again if your cpu is amd you will need at least around 3.5ghz to play it at full speed(or soo was in my case when I was playing it), far too risky if you doesn't have any experience with OC.

Sponsored links

It's actually an Intel, but I am certainly of the mind that I won't go anywhere near overclocking something unless I'm prepared to go out and buy a replacement anyway, if the worst comes to pass.
Besides, it's unlikely built for it, considering it's a cheap pre-built I picked up and changed the graphics card over as it had a major bottleneck there and I had a better one lying around in a semi-broken computer anyway.
(05-16-2011, 10:35 AM)ryanboyl Wrote: Holy crap. I just tried out the 6X native resolution on my 1600p LCD. The game looks incredible. I will post pics if anyone wants to see. My fps with 6x is the same as if I were using software mode. When I use 5x I get nothing lower than 59fps, and I cannot tell the difference between 5x and 6x, so 5x is the way to go.

Other changes I am using for both software and hardware mode are superVU Recompiler for VU0 and VU1. Chop/Zero in Round Mode and None for Clamping Mode. As a result, when in software mode my fps doesnt go below 49, and normally stays in the low 50s.

Tried these settings, still no good. With an i7, 14GB RAM, and a 1GB GDDR5 GPU, I shouldn't be having so much trouble with any game that can run on PCSX2. The highest FPS I'm getting in game is 40 on the latest SVN.

I tried changing the video plugin to the SSE4 version which an i7 supports, but still no go. And what's with those solid gray bars running vertical across the screen?

It would be nice if those guys posting the videos on You Tube would have been thoughtful enough to post their settings. Just sayin'.
(02-03-2013, 09:30 AM)ZhugeLiang Wrote: Tried these settings, still no good. With an i7, 14GB RAM, and a 1GB GDDR5 GPU, I should be having so much trouble with any game that can run on PCSX2. The highest FPS I'm getting in game is 40 on the latest SVN.

I tried changing the video plugin to the SSE4 version which an i7 supports, but still no go. And what's with those solid gray bars running vertical across the screen?

It would be nice if those guys posting the videos on You Tube would have been thoughtful enough to post their settings. Just sayin'.

Whether you cpu isn't powerful enough, or you just made a mistake in your configuration, because i actually get full speed with my cpu in software mode...
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(02-03-2013, 12:03 PM)jesalvein Wrote: Whether you cpu isn't powerful enough, or you just made a mistake in your configuration, because i actually get full speed with my cpu in software mode...

Yes, but WHICH software setting. I've tried both DirectX11 modes and I'm still getting similar performance results.

My other settings are as follows:

video plugin used is GSdx 5464 SSE41
-Emotion Engine & IOP set to recompiler
-EE/FPU set to chop/zero
-clamping mode normal
-VU0 & VU1 set to microVU recompiler
-round mode set to chop/zero and clamping mode set to normal
-speedhacks enabled, defaults checked left as is and turned on multithreading
-moved EE cyclerate to 2

What am I missing?
(02-03-2013, 06:50 PM)ZhugeLiang Wrote: What am I missing?

a decent pc?

you say i7, 1gb videocard but that doesnt mean squat, WHAT i7 and WHAT 1gb videocard is what matters
(02-03-2013, 06:54 PM)WarWeeny Wrote: a decent pc?

you say i7, 1gb videocard but that doesnt mean squat, WHAT i7 and WHAT 1gb videocard is what matters

Well, my laptop can handle pretty much every game out there on PCSX2 except this one, so that probably eliminates my computer as the issue.

I've already double checked that the Q 720 is SSE4 capable as the boot up settings in PCSX2 detect. My GPU is a Raedon HD 5870.

BTW, I just tried Dirext3D11 software mode again, down to 17fps. Around 40-43fps when moving around in hardware mode. I get slow down when I talk to someone. Strange.
(02-03-2013, 07:03 PM)ZhugeLiang Wrote: Well, my laptop can handle pretty much every game out there on PCSX2 except this one, so that probably eliminates my computer as the issue.

I've already double checked that the Q 720 is SSE4 capable as the boot up settings in PCSX2 detect. My GPU is a Raedon HD 5870.

BTW, I just tried Dirext3D11 software mode again, down to 17fps.

i7Q720 has WAY to slow clockings to run vp2 decently
(02-03-2013, 07:09 PM)WarWeeny Wrote: i7Q720 has WAY to slow clockings to run vp2 decently

Seriously? Doesn't make sense. Every other PS2 game runs with flying colors. I'm still convinced that this is a software issue.

What clock speed is enough then?
(02-03-2013, 07:15 PM)ZhugeLiang Wrote: Seriously? Doesn't make sense. Every other PS2 game runs with flying colors. I'm still convinced that this is a software issue.

What clock speed is enough then?

not every game has the same requirements, vp2 is a heavy game, a 2.8ghz clocked i5/i7sandybridge cpu (3.1ghz for bloomfield) should be enough to run it fullspeed.
with EEcycle at 2 and mtvu hack enabled that is, without speedhacks a 3.7ghz sandybridge should suffice (4.0ghz bloomfield)

plus 2x/3x native graphics if you have a 5870M
if you would go higher then the gpu is holding you back.