The Somewhat Definitive "Are 3+ cores better than 2" PCSX2 thread.
Playing with thread affinity won't make much of an impact because the main benefit of 3+ cores comes in the form of the operating system being able to use a third core for certain kernel and driver work (separate from PCSX2's two threads). When you lock PCSX2 to two cores, you still have a third available for the OS to use for kernel and driver stuff, thus no affect on speed. To do a fair test you must have a CPU that allows you to disable 1 or more cores in the bios.
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team

Sponsored links

uh. i am not quite sure i understand what you are saying..
what i am seeing is a fluke?

i can assure you i see stable 30-31 fps with 2 cores, 39-41 (3 cores). i switch back and forth and the results persist.
i dont do anything else on my pc. on the one display is process explorer and on the other - running pcsx2.
i just switch on/off cores
Phenom II X4 940 3 Ghz / 8 gb RAM 800 / Geforce GTX 460 / win7 64
He is telling you that for a test you'll have to disable a core completely (usually done in the system BIOS).
Well DX10 also has benefit from an extra core, since some of it's internal operations are threaded and those are process-specific (thus affected by affinity). DX9 users would, I'm pretty sure, see less impact.
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team