The link to why Spyro 4 Does not work.
If it's binary there isn't much I could do with it to figure anything out. Did you try opening them in a hex editor like I suggested? That way even if it's binary, if there is any human readable text in there you can find it. If it points to the other file you would likely find that other file's name inside of it. Technically those files are part of the game, and giving them to me would be against the rules as I understand them.

But yeah, it seems the best course of action is for you to try some things involving the demo. Figure out if it uses the same files and if it works or not.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD

Sponsored links

(10-15-2013, 03:03 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: If it's binary there isn't much I could do with it to figure anything out. Did you try opening them in a hex editor like I suggested? That way even if it's binary, if there is any human readable text in there you can find it. If it points to the other file you would likely find that other file's name inside of it. Technically those files are part of the game, and giving them to me would be against the rules as I understand them.

But yeah, it seems the best course of action is for you to try some things involving the demo. Figure out if it uses the same files and if it works or not.

Yeah, i guess we need to hold off on this until i can test the demo. Just so you know, here is the entire contents of initscrn.PXH:
Code:
................°.................................A!... `...Z...................................................................
And the same in Hex:
Code:
00 01 00 01 11 08 00 00 10 81 00 00 81 00 00 00 B0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 41 21 06 00 00 20 60 00 00 00 5A 0F 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
This is how it appears in HxD.
You still don't know a damn thing about assembly or mips, and whether the files exist in the demo version or not prove NOTHING because it's a demo and files are expected to not be there compared to the original game; that's the point of demos Tongue
(10-16-2013, 01:45 AM)Coornio Wrote: You still don't know a damn thing about assembly or mips, and whether the files exist in the demo version or not prove NOTHING because it's a demo and files are expected to not be there compared to the original game; that's the point of demos Tongue

Actually if the files exist in the demo, are identical, and the demo works, then there's a good chance they can be eliminated as the problem, in my opinion.

If they aren't there and it doesn't work then it also eliminates them as the problem.

If they are there, identical, and the demo doesn't work. That is the only case that proves nothing, IMO.

Honestly this thread is kinda hostile, IMO. If the guy wants to have a go at fixing it, then let him. If he fixes it, hey great. If he's wrong, he will learn some stuff.
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(10-16-2013, 02:27 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: Actually if the files exist in the demo, are identical, and the demo works, then there's a good chance they can be eliminated as the problem, in my opinion.

If they aren't there and it doesn't work then it also eliminates them as the problem.

If they are there, identical, and the demo doesn't work. That is the only case that proves nothing, IMO.

Honestly this thread is kinda hostile, IMO. If the guy wants to have a go at fixing it, then let him. If he fixes it, hey great. If he's wrong, he will learn some stuff.

Actually if the files aren't in the demo and it works, then those files are the problem. That would mean the demo would have compiled them somewhere else in the game or used a different init method like the Gamecube (Gamecube doesn't have the initscrn files). So if the files are not in the demo, that's the problem and a dev should work on that.
(10-16-2013, 04:22 AM)Slvr99 Wrote: Actually if the files aren't in the demo and it works, then those files are the problem. That would mean the demo would have compiled them somewhere else in the game or used a different init method like the Gamecube (Gamecube doesn't have the initscrn files).

Or it could mean that whatever those files are used for isn't a part of the demo, or it could mean something changed between the demo and final release too.

Furthermore if the Gamecube doesn't have those files, then it seems really unlikely they are very critical. If it's something so important to the core of the game that if they aren't parsed the game breaks without them, then you would expect to see them in any version. Game developers who release a game on multiple platforms generally want them to be as similar as possible. If they had to completely recode the engine for every console, development costs would go way up.

Quote:So if the files are not in the demo, that's the problem and a dev should work on that.

I doubt that's gonna happen, even if these files are the problem. Because even if they are the problem, unless you can show why, it really hasn't solved anything man. And it's also not very likely that a dev is just gonna jump right in to fix a single game just because he knows "x" file might be the culprit.

I've been being nice, probably the nicest in this thread, but I doubt this game is too high a priority for the devs or else it would already work. Forgive me if I sound like an ass, but honestly you are probably on your own for the most part. I've just been trying to give you whatever guidance I thought might help. The devs WILL get around to it, I have seen PCSX2 go from barely booting the bios to playing almost everything. But they are doing this for us for free. Don't forget that.
(10-16-2013, 05:54 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: Or it could mean that whatever those files are used for isn't a part of the demo, or it could mean something changed between the demo and final release too.

Furthermore if the Gamecube doesn't have those files, then it seems really unlikely they are very critical. If it's something so important to the core of the game that if they aren't parsed the game breaks without them, then you would expect to see them in any version. Game developers who release a game on multiple platforms generally want them to be as similar as possible. If they had to completely recode the engine for every console, development costs would go way up.

I doubt that's gonna happen, even if these files are the problem. Because even if they are the problem, unless you can show why, it really hasn't solved anything man. And it's also not very likely that a dev is just gonna jump right in to fix a single game just because he knows "x" file might be the culprit.

I've been being nice, probably the nicest in this thread, but I doubt this game is too high a priority for the devs or else it would already work. Forgive me if I sound like an ass, but honestly you are probably on your own for the most part. I've just been trying to give you whatever guidance I thought might help. The devs WILL get around to it, I have seen PCSX2 go from barely booting the bios to playing almost everything. But they are doing this for us for free. Don't forget that.

You must not see the SVN releases. An entire release is usually dedicated to one game. The latest improved Ace Combat 5, which is a lesser known game than Spyro. Also, i know you are being nice, but you don't really get the point i am getting here. If there isn't an initscrn file for GCN, then it obviously HAS to use a different method of rendering. it would be really pointless to have an unused file in the PS2 copy called initscrn and have a problem ONLY with the PS2 version where the screen doesn't display. Also, the GCN version is not as similar to the PS2 version as it seems. For one, they updated the code for the GCN release to fix bugs. I guess i won't be able to explain my reasoning to others unless i go into great detail. So once the demo is explored, i might explain my logic behind this. But i swear that those files are the problem. Well just wait and see. Until then, nothing is set in stone.
Quote:You must not see the SVN releases. An entire release is usually dedicated to one game.

Well, I could have been wrong with what I said there about them not doing that. Maybe it has progressed to the point where they are just fixing it one game at a time.

(10-16-2013, 06:10 AM)Slvr99 Wrote: If there isn't an initscrn file for GCN, then it obviously HAS to use a different method of rendering.

That only holds true IF the intiscrn is used for rendering. And aside from the name of the file, there is no proof it does.

Anyway, good luck. I honestly hope you are right and get to come back and say "SEE! I told you guys."

And no, I'm not being sarcastic.

You gotta understand though, that all the guys reading this thread sees is you who they assume has little to no technical knowledge claiming to be on to something. You really have only the name of the file as proof for anyone else. In your head it all makes sense, and you could be right. I mentioned earlier in this thread about how I patched a game based on such a "feeling."

It's just hard for anyone who is not in your head to "get it" the way you do. And so unfortunately, nobody will probably put much stock into what you say until you make them get it by proving your theory right somehow.

Honestly, I have no interest in Spyro games, I jumped into this thread because everyone was shooting you down without giving you any thought. I mean, I'm an open minded person. You could be right. But you have to also realize that you could be wrong too. And if you are, so what? At least you are trying to get to the bottom of it.
I have experience with this. The files are not in any way the problem Tongue2

The best way to go about it is using a development build to create some logs,
then going over them and looking for anything that could help.
We did this before and found no obvious bug though.

Attached Files
.7z   pcsx2-dev-r5736.7z (Size: 1,68 MB / Downloads: 134)
(10-16-2013, 09:42 AM)rama Wrote: I have experience with this. The files are not in any way the problem Tongue2

The best way to go about it is using a development build to create some logs,
then going over them and looking for anything that could help.
We did this before and found no obvious bug though.

There's no way you can say it isn't the problem unless you know the real problem. If it isn't the problem, i don't know what else could be. You probably found no bugs in the dev build because there are no bugs. If a file is not loading, the game won't return an error. It just won't do what the file is supposed to do and may return errors based on that. In this case, that file is not loading and is causing it to not render. No errors/bugs can be found because the game doesn't know what to do next and doesn't return anything. It just doesn't do what the file should do which is render. And once again, we'll have to prove this with the Demo. If the demo has no initscrn files, it is the problem.