Things that must be known before buying new PC to emulate PS2 ?
The plan is aiming for portable PS2 emulator.
My goal is to buy some devices that can run PS2 games, because most games I enjoyed playing were in this console and I'm not interesting in any modern games.

From my previous thread here : http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-PCSX121-r...0TA-Result
I have just known that CPU must pass the benchmark score of 1500+ in order to run PCSX2 efficiently.
I don't think that's enough. How about the other things like GPU ? and how about something else I don't know ?

I was looking for Asus Zenbook UX305 but not sure if Intel HD Graphics 5xxx is enough nor how to search for other information about GPU benchmark.

Sponsored links

The sweet spot for some demanding games are 1600 STP. (blyss mentioned it, don't know why), Gpu only matters much on upscaled resolutions. Get something over 2000+ rating and, you will be fine on 3X for most games.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
I mentioned it because it's true in my experience, although a lot of popular games require more than 1600.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
I think it is a good starting point and I would as well consider 1600 STP for budget builds and at least 1800 for quality builds.
As already said many popular games require a lot of raw performance. So maybe you can tell us which games you own or plan to buy in the future. pcsx2 supports enough threads in software mode but only 3 threads in hardware modes. Hexa- and Octacores are therefore not really reasonable.

I would always reccommend an SSD just because windows and many programs load faster. But this doesn't help for pcsx2 and you need some disk storage to save the iso's. So an additional SATA is probably needed.

Most non-low-end gpu's are highly sufficient. Even the iGPU of modern intel cpu's can be sufficient to upscale. Just propose something and this forum will tell you if it is sufficient. But if you want to play modern pc games you should consider investing a bit more money.

The other parts are quite unimportant for pcsx2 but can be important for other applications.
A i5 2500k is fine so any mid-range setup will do it, and don't hope to play well on an igpu because you need a true gpu.
i5 2500k@4,9ghz / Gtx980 Msi Gaming / 2x SSD Samsung 840pro 256gb / Acer Predator 24" G-sync
Corsair K95 RGB / Logitech G502 Proteus Core / Bose Companion 2 Serie III
Old JRPG fan, experienced mmo player, PC hardware expert
my suggestion it stay away from laptops/notebook/ultrabooks, unless you really gota have mobility the price you will pay for one of those that sufficient enough for pcsx2 we most likey be more then you would pay for a desktop
lol, now it rises to 1,800
so even Intel Core M (Intel HD 5xxx) isn't enough because I saw the result of 1300 STP in cpubenchmark.com

My goal, uh most likely ultimate goal, is to play Devil May Cry 1 and 3 in portable device.
I was expecting for PSVITA to have a PS2 emulator on itself, but now I know it can't be true.
The only possible way is to expect PCSX2 1.2.1 on x86/x64 machine like Ultrabook.... Windows tablets aren't strong enough I guess.

If the new machine can run PCSX2 fine, then I think it can run Devil May Cry 4 (PC Version) at full speed too.
And I think at that level of PC is enough for me because I don't interest in any modern games.

RPCS3 for PS3 emulator may require more power, but that is too far away to expect right now.
And all I need to play on it is only 1 game, the Bayonetta. Laugh
I think you should forget Intel HD setups, they aren't powerfull at all, just good to run 2D pc games, even in desktop systems its even worse on ultrabooks.
A mid range laptop with an i5 and a nvidia gpu should do it fine, but lower than this.. it will be software mode with slowdowns everywhere.
Its depending how you expect to play.
You can't expect to play well on laptops and ultrabooks unless you pay much more than a desktop.
i5 2500k@4,9ghz / Gtx980 Msi Gaming / 2x SSD Samsung 840pro 256gb / Acer Predator 24" G-sync
Corsair K95 RGB / Logitech G502 Proteus Core / Bose Companion 2 Serie III
Old JRPG fan, experienced mmo player, PC hardware expert
I think 1300 will be fine for some moderate games.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
It really depends on the games. Many people like Ratchet and Clank Series, Snowblind Engine & Racing Games. Those are very demanding.
If you want to play Kingdom Hearts, Disgea and Final Fantasy X you can use a strong tablet.

I would say the current intel HD solutions aren't that bad. But I never tried myself just referring from other forum users. (Probably they are not good enough for 144Hz monitors Tongue)