Poll: Was this information helpful to you?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, it was/or will be to others
33.33%
1 33.33%
No, still no better.
66.67%
2 66.67%
Total 3 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Things to help your bad computer play better.
If anyone can suggest anything to improve the quality of gameplay further let me know, if you have a bad computer these settings have gone a long way to making the games work great.

Games Tested On

Monster Rancher 3 (still worked poorly, but FPS was improved moderately)
Monster Rancher 4 (Improved greatly, without latency being increased, but with increase smoother battles)
Suikoden III (I changed Synchronizing mode to Async Mix and it solved the hic-up problem at the cost of on occasion visual and audio stuttering. It's a good balance between Time Stretch and audio skip I find the game playable now, if you prefer the smooth gameplay and video over sound than switch to "none" for Synchronizing, and I would recommended no sound as well if you find the hic-ups too annoying.)
Disgaea Hour of Darkness (Game runs very smooth, I changed latency to 200 and turned on Time Stretch to fix the sound problems, this didn't hurt gameplay.)
Makai Kingdom (I changed latency to 200 and changed Synchronizing mode to Async, game runs like a charm)
Innocent Life (With these modifications this game works to perfection. I also used Async with it.)
Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life Special Edition (while the FPS for this game is really good with these settings....and the music works well as well....lets say that graphics do matter. I don't know why but when I tried this game everyone was stripped of their flesh leaving only clay block objects)
Phantom Brave (This game runs perfectly fine with these settings, I used Async and turned the latency to 269)

Here is my system information.

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 2/5/2011, 01:03:18
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002)

Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.100608-0458)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: TOSHIBA
System Model: Satellite A205
BIOS: BIOS Version 1.00
Processor: Intel® Core™2 CPU T5300 @ 1.73GHz (2

CPUs), ~1.7GHz
Memory: 2038MB RAM
Page File: 1897MB used, 3128MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 7.00.6002.18107 32bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: Mobile Intel® 945 Express Chipset Family
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel® GMA 950
DAC type: Internal
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27A2&SUBSYS_FF101179&REV_03
Display Memory: 256 MB
Dedicated Memory: 0 MB
Shared Memory: 256 MB
Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor
Driver Name: igdumd32.dll
Driver Version: 7.14.0010.1437 (English)
DDI Version: 9Ex
BGRA Supported: Yes
DDraw Status: Enabled
D3D Status: Enabled
AGP Status: Enabled

-------------
Sound Devices
-------------
Description: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)

What I have done thus far.

Speed Hacks
I have the speed hacks maxed, leaving out the MVU min/max hack and the fast CDVD hack. The first because it's supposed to barely help and cause problems and the second because I don't use a CD.

VUs
I have "Clamping Mode" set to none
"Round Mode" set to nearest
SuperVU Recompiler on both options.

Flush to zero "checked"
denormals are zero "checked"

EEs

I have "Clamping Mode" set to none
"Round Mode" set to nearest

Flush to zero "checked"
denormals are zero "checked"

"Emotion Engine" and "IOP" set to recompiler

Video (GS)
Render

(Direct 3D9 Hardware)

Interlacing
(Blend Tff)

Upscaling (native)
Hardware Mode setting (only Alpha Correction checked)

Audio

Plugin is SPU2-X

Interpolation
1- linear

Checked (disable effects processing)

Reverb

1X normal reverb

Output Setting

1 - XAudio 2

Latency (I don't know what this is)
I maxed it out and it greatly improved the opening video of Suikoden III no glitches in the video at all with only an occasional audio hic-up

The same goes for gameplay.

In Suikoden 3 the gameplay is much smoother, but has frequent audio hic-ups. However for monster rancher 3 I'm sad to say that game is still not playable, but the FPS increased from 11 to 17 so it's still improved. I'm testing these settings on my other games now. So far things seem promising.

Synchronizing Mode
None (Async Mix I've learned is a good balance between graphics and sound, you should try it, though none is best if your computer still can't handle it)

Audio Expansion mode
none

Once again if anyone can suggest settings/plugins that can help improve things further please let me know.

Sponsored links

maxing the speed hacks (especially vu cycle stealing) won't make things better in most games.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(02-05-2011, 10:15 PM)jesalvein Wrote: maxing the speed hacks (especially vu cycle stealing) won't make things better in most games.

I'm testing various games that I have and posting the results above. I have a poor quality computer, and this is what I've found so far to be best at making the emulator work most effectively. I will continue to update the list and hope that it helps fellow gamers in my situation.

Once again if anyone can post suggestions that will make games run better on low quality computers and preferably help with the audio hic-ups I'd appreciate it.
ask saiki... I'm sure he can help you
(02-05-2011, 11:07 PM)jesalvein Wrote: ask saiki... I'm sure he can help you

Is saiki a mystical creature that grants wishes, or an underwater sage? Or even a pervy sage O_O! (J/K) I hope his/her expertise will be able to help. Though I won't be going on a hunt for the legendary Saiki ^_-
oh lord....

http://forums.pcsx2.net/User-Saiki
(02-05-2011, 11:44 PM)jesalvein Wrote: oh lord....

http://forums.pcsx2.net/User-Saiki

Hey buddy, I'm making large strides with this emulator now. What I was once told would be impossible with my computer and that I'd need a new one seems to be possible. I can now play suikoden III, Disgaea, and Makai Kingdom.
sure
but Saiki knows a lot about how to use some tweaks for advanced user.
I'm pretty sure exchanging ideas with him could be interesting for both
(02-06-2011, 01:05 AM)jesalvein Wrote: sure
but Saiki knows a lot about how to use some tweaks for advanced user.
I'm pretty sure exchanging ideas with him could be interesting for both

A message has been sent to the legendary Saiki. I look forward to seeing where this will lead Smile
Don't quote me on this, but I believe that Saiki does some source hacking as well, rather than just messing with plugins. If you learned how to build pcsx2 from source (pretty easy actually) then you could probably squeeze out a few more FPS.