Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts on overclocking a i7
Hey there, I would like to have your guys opinion about overclock my cpu.
I have a i7 920 (d0) and I hear that these are VERY overclockable. The thing is I'm running with 40 degree celcius idle and 69 degree celcius on load.

With these temperatures I don't know if its still safe to overclock. And I'm still running on the stock 2.67Ghz

If these values are really too dangerous can you guys please recommend me a good cpu cooler I could get for under 50 euros?

Thank you in advance Smile

Sponsored links

I may be wrong in telling this but I believe this is not a trivial matter and may lead to hardware deaths and the likes. So whatever answer got in a forum like this, dedicated to a totally different purpose MUST be taken only as informative and personal opinion, never as a procedural statement.

Far better is seeking specialized forums where people do and relates the experiences in a consistent way so you can have a better vision of the particularities and a broader vision of the big picture.
Imagination is where we are truly real
Yeah I know. I bought this pc specificly to be able to play about all games and be able to overclock but after I saw my temperatures I was like o.O ok....
Even because your hardware should be enough to play most games without a single speed hack at full speed, if it does not the bottleneck may be in the videocard you didn't specify in the thread, so overclocking the CPU will not help that much anyway...

If you are willing to try the overclock it's OK but should not be done blindly, 'jamais'.
Imagination is where we are truly real
(07-25-2010, 07:23 PM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: I may be wrong in telling this but I believe this is not a trivial matter and may lead to hardware deaths and the likes. So whatever answer got in a forum like this, dedicated to a totally different purpose MUST be taken only as informative and personal opinion, never as a procedural statement.

Far better is seeking specialized forums where people do and relates the experiences in a consistent way so you can have a better vision of the particularities and a broader vision of the big picture.

^ What he said, go to some tech website and ask around there, look for any faq or sticky regarding overclocking first though and make your question from there.

I suggest techpowerup, they have friendly bunch of expert there.
Hmm, I should try techpowerup.

Also my videocard is a HD4870x2 and I have OCZ 6GB 1333Mhz Memory Smile

My motherboard is a P6T Deluxe V2 Smile

I just want to get the most out of my hardware. I always hear leaving my cpu on 2.67 Ghz bottlenecks PCSX2 amazingly.
I take it you don't have an aftermarket cooler.
Get a good one, for example Noctua NH-D14 or if you have big ram(heatsinks) and fear it might not fit, go for the coolermaster V8 or corsair H50.
Overclocking is very easy to do.
Look up an i7 920 overclock tutorial.
PCSX2 does get a big improvement from higher clockrates.
see Cpu benchmark PCSX2
[Image: 1454055.png]
CPUCooler: Scythe Kabuto SCKBT-1000
GPUCooler: Sapphire HD4870 X2
Processor: Intel® Core i7-920
PSU: be quiet! Dark Power Pro P8 1000W
Case: Antec Nine Hundred
Motherboard: Asus P6T Deluxe V2 X58
Harddisk: Seagate ST31500341AS
Memory: OCZ 6 GB DDR3-1333 Tri-Kit

This is what a I got myself. I originally wanted a Scythe Mugen 2 SCMG-2000 but it was out of stock and not coming back for a great while there. So I had to put up with this useless Scythe Kabuto SCKBT-1000.

Made a quick video of the inside of my pc. Maybe you can tell if the other cpu coolers would fit in nicely Smile
Megahalem, Tuniq Extreme, TRUE, or Portable watercooling kit like Corsair H50 to name a few good cooler, should fit that case.

Xigmatek s1283, Dark Knight, or Coolermaster Hyper 212+ are also not bad for their prices (you can buy an extra fan to compensate).
why not buy the zalman cnps 10 extreme that is probably the best air cooler around? (allot better than the mini water cooled kits also)
OS: Win 7 Ultimate x64 sp1, MoBo: Asus P5QD Turbo, CPU: Q6600 @ 3,0Ghz, RAM: Trancend 2x2gb 6-6-6-18 800 MHz, GPU: HD 4850 1gb.
Pcsx2: Always Latest