Time to drop DX9?
(12-05-2015, 09:08 PM)tsunami2311 Wrote: Imo DX9 should DIED years ago then again to me it dont matter I have perfered OpenGL over DX for a very long time cause it not OS/HW specific.

As I said, Direct3D 9 is much faster than Direct3D 11 for some games I played. It's still useful for users who have weak GPUs.

Sponsored links

I would still keep it for some games or GPUs.
especially intel graphics should operate faster using DX9.

Main Rig: i7-3770k @4.5ghz | 16GB DDR3 | Nvidia GTX 980 TI | Win 10 X64
Laptop: MSI GT62VR | i7-6700HQ | 16GB DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1060 | Win 10 X64

I am not sure but i think ogl/dx9/dx11 are more or less parallel in the code base. It sounds like in dolphin's case they were glued together. I dont think that dx9 hinders ogl or dx11 in any sense. And probably no dx9 codeline will be touched in the nearer future.

So no need to worry that the devs are blocked by dx9 or that there is some speed impact.
like said if all contained in the gsdx.dll and no code is shared between all the API, then removing things wont have any effect. which kind point of plugin based no?
well we don't have separate dll's for different api's. So to believe that they are strongly connected especially if dolphin claims that is reasonable.
(12-06-2015, 03:38 AM)willkuer Wrote: well we don't have separate dll's for different api's.

You can separate them if need be, so there will be no need to remove a back-end.
Maybe Dolphin made some poor initial decision.

We are big boys. If dx9 bother us, we ll remove it
(12-06-2015, 11:29 PM)gregory Wrote: Maybe Dolphin made some poor initial decision.

We are big boys. If dx9 bother us, we ll remove it

you want OPENGL going foward,  which the same as saying DX isnt wanted, well that is how i see that but that is me.

Like said I rather have OPENGL over DX any day even with DX12 looming, cause OPENGL isnt tied to a specific OS.

Frankly I think Dolphin runs worse speed wise then pcsx2 does so.
(12-07-2015, 12:49 AM)tsunami2311 Wrote: Frankly I think Dolphin runs worse speed wise then pcsx2 does so.

How can you say something like that? With all the knowledge you have. We never compare pc games or different emulators eith each other. Even different games/engines within one emulator is ridiculous.
Dolphin could be years of development better with much cleaner code and still suffer from speed issues. But that is not because it is 'worse'. Its because it is different.
I guess it depends whether the team cares more about speed or accuracy. The only reason dx9 can be faster is because of hacks and effects not being emulated correctly or at all.