Tips for Better FPS in Tekken series?
My computer isn't the fastest in the world, and the only games that I've tried that obtain desirable speeds are GTA Vice City Stories, the WWE lineup (which is incredibly easy to run on mid-end computers) and Resident Evil 4. However, since my gamepad broke there's only a few PS2 games I can play with a keyboard, and those I just mentioned hardly work at all without a gamepad. The tekken series is perfect for a keyboard IMO, but the most I can achieve constantly is 50 fps, which is playable but makes the games too easy (with the exception of Tekken 5, which is hard no matter what you do). Any tips with getting 60 FPS on my rig?

SPECS:
Intel Pentium G3220 3.0 GHZ
Nvidia GTX 650 TI 1 GB
8 GB Ram

SETTINGS (use numbers above image to navigate through screenshots):
http://imgur.com/feKXwFM,raHG0WH,bUEhWua...KA,G0ohGH4

FPS (by game):
Tekken 4: 50-60 FPS this is the only one that goes to 60 ingame, and drops to 50 during more intense levels
Tekken 5: constant 45-50 FPS during gameplay, 60 FPS during menus.
Tekken Tag Tournament: 30-50 FPS. Even the menus run at 30-40 FPS, and don't speed up until ingame, where it goes to 45 FPS. This is strange considering how old the game is, and it's also a shame since it's my favorite Tekken for the PS2.

Sponsored links

What is maxing out during your slowdowns? EE, GS, VU?
there will surely be fps drops on demanding scenes if, your CPU can't handle it. if you want no fps limits then, check disable frame limiting in Emulation settings >> GS.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
(05-03-2015, 02:20 AM)ryn0 Wrote: FPS (by game):
Tekken 4: 50-60 FPS this is the only one that goes to 60 ingame, and drops to 50 during more intense levels
Tekken 5: constant 45-50 FPS during gameplay, 60 FPS during menus.
Tekken Tag Tournament: 30-50 FPS. Even the menus run at 30-40 FPS, and don't speed up until ingame, where it goes to 45 FPS. This is strange considering how old the game is, and it's also a shame since it's my favorite Tekken for the PS2.

Try messing with EE cycle rate, VU cycle stealing and MTVU(it can help even on a dual core).

You also might want to disable any unnecessary hardware hacks in GSdx.

Also, I'm pretty sure Tekken Tag Tournament is just written in a way that makes it slower to emulate. I've read it didn't really use the vector units much, resulting in a more serial workload. Basically, there's less stuff that can be broken into independent tasks to execute all at once. Instead it has to be done just one step at a time.

At least, I'm pretty sure that's what's happening.
Thanks for all the replies. Since I'm reading this as an insomnia cure (Cool) I can't try out all these options until tomorrow afternoon. Actually I remember using Cycling hacks on Tekken 5, which caused slowdown during menus but did speed up gameplay, but correct me if I'm wrong.
Also, TTT might run more like the other games if I play using an ISO instead of a disc (I'm too lazy to wait for the disc to rip Biggrin)
the optical drive reading speeds are pretty low compared to the modern HDD's read speed, booting from the ISO file gives better performance . also, It only takes 3-5 minutes most of the time for the rip process. It would be worth the time spent. Smile

also, don't increase the EE and VU sliders to the extreme level since, that might cause inaccurate fps readings.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
Just to point out, mtvu will not help TTT due to its design , you pretty much need raw cpu power to make that run quick
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]