Topic closed, ISO
Evening everyone,

My thread in the Linux PCSX2 Support was recently closed after an admin found out that I was using an iso, probably assuming it was pirated. No issues there really, he didn't do a bad job considering the majority of emulator users do pirate.

Anyhow, my copy in particular was not illegal. I do in fact own the game and messaged the admin about it, but have yet to receive a reply. I might be a bit too impatient since I only messaged him yesterday, but he has been active recently so a short reply would've been appreciated.

Again, no harm done. I understand the issue and have been an admin (and currently am) and I know it's not always the easiest job (some people...).

I would like to request for my thread to be reopened. I don't think ISO's are illegal. For anyone wondering what I've sent to the admin, I'll post it below since it clarifies a couple things. I also like transparency.

Quote:I saw you closed my thread, bit of a bummer. I did read the rules.
Is it not allowed to own the game AND use it in any way you see fit, including extracting the data to play in an emulator? I understand that in some countries, even that isn't allowed and it's a bit of a grey area. I do own the game though so it's not exactly "warez". It's kind of expensive too since the FES version is kind of rare so I had to get it from eBay...
As for why it's literally in the Downloads folder, it's because it's easy to access on Linux so I store everything there. You can even see my memory cards there.

I could play straight from the disk at home but I'm travelling and my laptop does not have a CD/DVD drive bay.

I understand though, I just needed some support.
Sorry for bothering you anyhow,

Have a nice day

--EvoSteven

If anything in my PM sounded passive aggressive or hostile in any way, I'd like to apologize profusely. I was slightly irritated back then. Tongue2

Thanks for reading and I hope this issue may be resolved quickly.

Sponsored links

even if you own the game, downloading it is illegal.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
(04-16-2016, 09:46 PM)Nobbs66 Wrote: even if you own the game, downloading it is illegal.

What he said, however if you can send proof to one of the moderators/admin (a picture of your disc with your username on a bit of paper is more than enough) and you delete the original ISO you downloaded and make your own with imgburn, we will be more than happy to reopen your thread.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(04-16-2016, 10:14 PM)refraction Wrote: What he said, however if you can send proof to one of the moderators/admin (a picture of your disc with your username on a bit of paper is more than enough) and you delete the original ISO you downloaded and make your own with imgburn, we will be more than happy to reopen your thread.

If you read what I said, you can see that I said I extracted it (check the PM). Nothing what I said even refers to downloading the game illegally.

I also said that I'm travelling. That means I do not have the disc with me right now. I extracted the ISO and took it with me on my 2TB hard drive, copied over to my downloads folder on my laptop's SSD because it's faster than external HDD and also easier to carry around (I literally store everything in the DL folder because I'm not that used to Linux and that place is the easiest and fastest to access). I said I understood why he closed it down so quickly and I do respect this community. I even read the rules before posting.

By the time I'm home, I can continue playing it on my Windows Desktop where the error very likely does not occur. I could just wait until I got home but wanted to try my luck on the forums, in case anyone knows what the problem is I'm having.

So TL;DR
I don't have the disc with me because I'm travelling with a laptop without a CD/DVD drive bay. I didn't download it or obtain it illegally.

Thank you.

EDIT: I saw that I could've been a bit clearer in my PM.

The FES edition isn't exactly rare, but the PAL version is. I am from Europe so naturally I got that one. I've never seen a Persona game in my life in a store, so I got it online (eBay, physical copy).
I really don't want to be that guy that is negative and whatnot, but who names their ISO's Persona 3 FES (Europe).iso ?
I have lots of games and none of them have (Europe) or (America) or whatever in their name, even tho i did have some that i labeled PAL or NTSC like for example how i did with Jak X Combat Racing because i searched for and bought both versions when i was trying to make the game work on the emu (back when we didn't have the patch).
Still i do not understand why would you, if that was the only version you found, name the iso as (Europe) and most likely jesalvein didn't either so that is why he closed the thread. Also the fact that it was in your downloads folder didn't help one bit.
All you have to do (as ref said) is take that single picture and if you're not home or where the disc is then just wait till you get to it or ask someone to do it.

Right now all of it sounds just fishy to me (download folder + weird ISO name).
(04-17-2016, 03:22 AM)andutrache Wrote: I really don't want to be that guy that is negative and whatnot, but who names their ISO's Persona 3 FES (Europe).iso ?

Searching "Persona 3 FES (Europe).iso" returns a ton of pirating sites with the exact same name.

There is a "no which hunting" rule in this forum, but I wouldn't say this qualify as a which hunt, exact naming of pirated copies, download folder, and the convenient timing of you being traveling thing makes it really easy to guess what's happening here.

Still, there is a very small chance that it is all one big coincident, and all what you say is true, hope you will be back to your home soon to prove it.
Every time I see (Europe En,Fr,De,Es,It) in the name it's 99% sure it's a downloaded game. (Both IMGBurn or any other DVD rip software and official PAL disks never label it like that, but the versions found online do)

Just (Europe) alone isn't a guarantee. But the above combination almost always is.
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60~4.20 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super @ 6 GB | Samsung 980 1TB | Windows 10 Pro x64 (22H2)
Hopefully it is just a coincidence. It is up to him to provide proof.

Also witch hunting or no witch hunting does not matter anyway if the user is legit.
Still i am not pointing any fingers but i cannot say that he is innocent either.

I remember when PCSX2 didn't display the iso name when you loaded it in the emulog.txt (aka before we even had internal ISO support) there used to be far less posts being closed because of piracy.
Even more posts would be closed for piracy if PCSX2 would enumerate and display the bioses in the bios folder in the emulog.txt at each run as i have seen way too many posts getting closed because of people having 5 bioses in there or people even posting screenshots of the configuration window with 5-6 bioses in there. Or maybe they are all rich people that own lots of PS2's, we will never know, or WILL we?

I could ramble about this all day long but i don't want to derail the thread any further or turn it into who knows what. So that will be enough.
At this point it's almost funny. I won't be getting back home too soon and by the time I'm home it doesn't really matter anymore anyway.
I can see where everyone is coming from though.

I can't really prove anything except perhaps that I had this file on my HDD and moved it to my laptops Download folder (sorta). I guess you'll have to take my word for it. The laptop I'm currently using (technically a Chromebook) was released in September of 2015. The ISO was made in March 2015. This means that it didn't end up in the download folder because it was downloaded from this laptop. It existed before the release date of this very machine I'm trying to play it on.

This sadly doesn't prove it wasn't downloaded, it does prove that I place my stuff in the download folder, atleast on Linux machines (bad habit). Doesn't really help my situation, lmao.

There is no "convenient timing". I'm in Spain for some school stuff (working experience intern stuff) and I live in Belgium. Sounds more like inconvenient timing to me, lol. Not keen on sharing too much info but there you go.

I don't really see a problem with the name. You can rename ISO's to whatever you want. It's easier to call it that because I have some other games and there's like different kinds of NTSC and I never got the full understanding of it. It's just easier... I'm sure I'm not the only one doing that. I will admit that I have pirated some games before and for some time I had a mixed library of genuine and non-genuine games. I'm kind of OCD when it comes to naming items so they all had to be the same format. I now only buy the games I want, really. I love Persona so much I've even got an art book of it D:

I understand the download folder issue though. I originally had that folder in my binary PCSX2 1.2.1 folder on my portable harddrive. I just dragged those files (memcards, ISO) to my download folder. Who would store their memcards in their download folder?? Apparently I would... *painful laughing*
I bummed myself by not putting it in a decent folder. I'm not THAT used to Linux and the Download folder is only a buttonclick away in the file manager.

I guess I'm not innocent until proven guilty Tongue2 It DOES feel like I'm on trial here. I guess it's just my words against some suspicious things that I would consider normal :/

Also, sorry for the messed up formatting or something in my previous posts. Something went wrong on my phone, I guess.

By the time I'm home, I can just play it on my PC and finish the game, finally. I can't provide proof now and I don't know if I care enough about fixing it when I'm home since it will be a non-issue then. So far, it feels like me vs an entire forum and it's kind of discouraging. Atleast everyone keeps it civil so that I do appreciate.

It's up to the staff to decide whether to believe in the good will of random internet person, or to await proof. I just wanna play mang Tongue2
(04-17-2016, 05:40 AM)EvoSteven Wrote: I guess I'm not innocent until proven guilty Tongue2 It DOES feel like I'm on trial here. I guess it's just my words against some suspicious things that I would consider normal :/

Sorry dude, we have to be really strict around here. If Sony catches wind of us supporting piracy of their products, I'm sure they wouldn't hesitate to shut us down, so we have to keep things squeaky clean and above board, unfortunately this does mean adopting a "guilty until proven innocent" demeanour.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]