Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Translating a Game?
Alright, So I was browsing amazon the other day, and I saw on there for about 30 bucks, a japanese import game called Hungry Ghosts. It's supposed to be a Japanese Hell simulator, and it looks rather interesting. What I want to know, is since this is in japanese, is there a way for me to create a patch for this game? I kind of want to translate it, because that would be a good way for me to learn japanese.

What kind of program do I need for something like that? And how would I patch the ISO of the game if I get it?

Also, for those of you that don't know about the game, here's a youtube video of the opening, and a little bit of gameplay.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtuRP3S7naU

Sponsored links

As far as I know there are tools for it. But it is not that easy even with tools. You'll have to rack your brain study and guess where the text is stored in the game files. And I guess it won't take you less than 3 years to fully translate a game. Just look at FF4 and see their efforts to translate it.

Better give up.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 | nVidia GeForce GTX 750 | 4 GiB DDR3 @ 533 Mhz | MSI G41M-P28 | Cooler Master RS-390-PMSR-A3 | Xigmatek TYR SD962 | LG Flatron W1943SE | HP KB-0316 | MotoSpeed F60
(04-02-2013, 07:13 AM)Livy Wrote: As far as I know there are tools for it. But it is not that easy even with tools. You'll have to rack your brain study and guess where the text is stored in the game files. And I guess it won't take you less than 3 years to fully translate a game. Just look at FF4 and see their efforts to translate it.

Better give up.

Fan ranslating takes so long for a simple reason, people have lives, when a company like square-enix translates a game, they are paying someone to translate it and they are working around the clock to do it, usually with a team.

Fan translations on the other hand, generally are 1 person or a small group of people working at it in their spare time, as such they take alot longer than someone being paid to do so.
There is also the amount of text to translate, a RPG is far harder to translate then say, a devil may cry game would be, as they basically have enough text to be considered on the size of a shakespearian novel or more most of the time.

As for the game at hand, well from my understanding if it is the game i'm thinking of, the game does not have a very large amount of text, as such translating it would not take a tremendous amount of time.

That said OP, your better off asking at a website dedicated to this sort of thing, but since i'm unsure on this website's rules on linking to game hacking sites, all i can tell you to do is to google "game translations", it should have the translation page for the website i am referring to as the first option there, they have a forum to help people just getting started in game hacking (translations basically are a form of game hacking by the definition it's commonly used by).
Intel i5 2500k @3.3 Stock(OC wasn't needed anymore)
Cooler master hyper 212 plus, push/pull configuration, MX4 thermal paste
Antec 750W HCP Platinum power supply
HIS IceQ Boost Clock AMD HD 7950
2x8GB DDR3 1600 G.skill Ripjaws RAM
2X 4TB HGST Deskstar NAS HDD
Corsair Carbide Series 400R Computer Case
Asrock Z75 Pro3 Motherboard
Not to mention the developer has the source code...
Imagination is where we are truly real
i have god of war 2 in russian, can i translet it in english by using that tool?
whats the name of that tool?
(04-03-2013, 06:14 PM)lionelmessi Wrote: i have god of war 2 in russian, can i translet it in english by using that tool?
whats the name of that tool?

(meant to previous posts) The translation itself is not the harder part, that should be understood. The problem comes with changing compiled code, many times is needed to increase the text size and this mean shifting the whole block/file, what may and will affect explicit address references. If was not enough, the alphabet structure may impose yet more problems.

So is not just because small teams or just the time that can be spared, it is most of times a complex procedure. Totally different thing is translating directly over the source.

@lionelmessi
As far as I can say, there is not a unique tool to do it but a handful of them, depending on the work to be done you'd need tile editors, hex editors and so on.
Imagination is where we are truly real