Trashed movie playback in FFX
The first one has no texture filtering at all. That's the issue I'm trying to help you out with all the time Tongue2

Sponsored links

I turned it off, it makes the background images look even worse. Compare the trees:
The 2000x2000 fix doesn't fix the pausing, if it were meant to.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Ok, now that's what I meant with "oddities". The bad looking clouds are because you turned it off.
The ps2 has bilinear filtering, and turning it off will cause some problem like that.

The pause thing can't be fixed, I already said that.
This problem still persists. Now later on in the game I'm experiencing lockups unless I revert to software mode when movie playback occurs (and I can't bear to look at software mode anywhere else, it looks dreadful on a monitor). Incidentally why doesn't software mode support drawing in higher non-native resolutions? That would be one answer to my problems. Would it be too cpu-intensive?

I'm wondering what the root of this problem is, since noone else seems to have reported experiencing it. Maybe it's my gfx card. I've got a voodoo-3 in a box somewhere I could try out for comparison. Wink
Software mode works by emulating the GS correctly. That includes the low, native game resolution.
And no, that cannot be "fixed" or improved. Trying that would break everything.

A voodoo3 won't work with GSdx, it's about 10 years too old for that Wink
Quote:And no, that cannot be "fixed" or improved. Trying that would break everything.

First of all, are you a developer? I inattentively assumed that with your air of authority on the subject you must be one of the coders working on the emulator or one of the plugins, but I'm finding some of the things you are saying to be totally incorrect. It stands to reason that if you emulate everything that hardware mode does in software mode then you can also recreate modifying the internal resolution.

I'm hoping someone who works on the code will look at this thread. I'm sure the problem I'm having is very easy to fix. It's patently obvious that movie playback is simply drawing on the wrong buffers (or the wrong buffers are being displayed), and furthermore the fact that pausing and resuming emulation fixes the problem should give some insight into how to fix it, as well as how pausing the game shows the same frozen frame in the background as the one that movie playback alternates between.
Yes, I am working on pcsx2 and many of the plugins. I'm doing this for nearly 2 years now.
In all that time I've had my fair share of people like you, who think they know my code better than I do.

As such I'll be just ignoring you now, since that's what you're doing as well.
I'll even be so nice and leave this thread open, should someone else like to add something.
So you want better res on software that uses only the processor so you can play at a amazing speed of 0.001fps!!!
By the way the games are suppose to work on native res thats what ps2 uses, so use something not native you probably will gets lots of glitchs depending on the game.
C2D E6550 @ 2333 Mhz oc 3010 Mhz vcore 1.2750v | HD2600XT | P5KC | 1 + 1 GB G.Skill 6400HK 860 4.4.3.5
rama Wrote:Yes, I am working on pcsx2 and many of the plugins. I'm doing this for nearly 2 years now.
In all that time I've had my fair share of people like you, who think they know my code better than I do.

If you know any of the code at all then you know more than I do. But I do know that you can have the CPU emulate anything the GPU can do, so I don't know why you declare it to be impossible.

Quote:As such I'll be just ignoring you now, since that's what you're doing as well.

What, you haven't been already? If that's the case then I am sorry. In any case you've not been at all helpful, having nothing to tell me except that there is no bug. I don't know if you noticed but I've put in a great deal of effort to detail the symptoms of the problem I'm having. And in the spirit of a true programming detective you've decided to not address any of it or even wonder what the problem might be, prefering to write it off as just an inevitable "quirk" of not running the game on its native platform.

seinfeldx Wrote:So you want better res on software that uses only the processor so you can play at a amazing speed of 0.001fps!!!

I get 130 fps when removing frame limit in sw-mode and 2 threads. Why would it take such a performance hit from drawing at higher resolutions?
Uh because even just 2x resolution would need 4x the cpu power so you'd probably end up with an awesome ~30fps for your 130fps speed and with glitches from the upscale probably (and still wouldnt look as good as your 1600x1200 hardware mode does in 3D), using software mode is the compatible mode and I dont see why you would like to break the compatible mode at all.

BTW 130fps in FFX in software mode really? that's not in menus or FMVs is it? cause those dont count as the software mode gets slow only in the 3D parts... you know... the parts you actually play...
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64