Trashed movie playback in FFX
I have a problem with FFX where movie playback always looks corrupt, with bits of the previous non-movie scene showing through it. As soon as I pause the emulation with the ESC key and then resume it, though, it plays back as it should (which proves it isn't a disc problem), but I don't want to have to do this for each movie that plays. It's probably a related issue that I see parts of the last movie played instead of a black screen behind the menu as I switch between the in-game menu and game screen.

This happens with PCSX2 version 0.9.6 and the latest r1736, be it with GSDX 890, 1650 or 1846. I've tried fiddling with all the options in my Nvidia control panel and that doesn't help either (I thought it might be a triple-buffering issue since it seems to leave the previous image inside a buffer instead of clearing it). Nothing has worked.

Sponsored links

I guess I have a similar problem, though much less pronounced. Instead of the entire screen being corrupt after watching an FMV, I only get a line at the bottom of the screen that flickers. Pressing ESC and resuming gets rid of it.

However, it didn't always do this; it just suddenly started somewhere near the end of the game (don't quite remember exactly when).
I've also moved from 0.9.6 to various betas, including the latest r1888. However, in my case it is only a very minor annoyance.
[Image: yunacopy.jpg]
As I look more closely it seems it is flickering very rapidly between the last frame of the real-time rendered scene, and each frame of the movie. So in a sense the movie is being played back correctly, but it is alternating between two incorrect buffers until I pause and resume emulation.
Maybe a moderator could move this to the bugs forum. I only posted it here because I thought it would be a known bug.
If it helps, it seems DirectX software mode doesn't have the problem...
Are you by any chance using savestates? tried running the same scenes from memcard only?
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
(09-24-2009, 09:19 AM)Shadow Lady Wrote: Are you by any chance using savestates? tried running the same scenes from memcard only?

I have tried running the scenes from memcard only (i.e. no state restores from when I booted the game to where the scene plays).
Another thing I've noticed is that in hardware mode, 3D looks great, but flat background images (such as clouds) look a blocky mess. In software mode it looks poor because it's being viewed on a monitor that doesn't fudge the pixels, but the clouds look smooth and natural. I think the hardware mode must be processing the background as a texture and making it look horrible.
Another thing is that pausing the game puts up part of the last played movie, or garbage/blackness if none was played since I restarted the emulator; doubtlessly another instance of the same issue. In software mode it does not.
Screenshots of that please. And don't forget you're not playing Crysis here. Old games like this try to cut corners, and that might look a bit odd on HD emulation..
oh now that's interesting. I pause the game and it shows the last screen capture I made.
(09-24-2009, 12:39 PM)rama Wrote: Screenshots of that please. And don't forget you're not playing Crysis here. Old games like this try to cut corners, and that might look a bit odd on HD emulation..

Seems it is a result of running a non-native resolution (which software mode doesn't allow). Note that the actual resolution of the screen in both cases is 1600*1200, but somehow the hardware mode stretches the background texture to make it look ugly, while native mode will draw it correctly regardless of the resolution. If I select native resolution in hardware mode the backgrounds look as they should (but the 3D looks terrible). Shame I can't have the best of both worlds.

Can't submit the screen captures, the attachments don't seem to work.
Anyone know how to contact the developer of GSDX? Seems they're the one who needs to deal with this.
official gsdx thread

but you will have to provide some screenshots or .gs snapshots of the problem. and don't forget to include your complete specs and settings.
CPU Core [email protected] | GPU Nvidia Geforce GTX 570 | RAM 8GB DDR-3 1600MHz CL9 | OS Win7 Ultimate (x64) SP1
EMU PCSX2 v1.1.0 r5645 | GS GSdx SSE4 r5632 | SPU2 SPU2-X r5559 | PAD LilyPad r5403 | CDVD cdvdGigaherz r5403