Tri-Ace Games Blurry
(11-23-2012, 09:47 PM)naoan Wrote: Naw, he just need to stop using native res and use progressive mode.

Progressive scan doesn't affect resolution or graphic , but only gmae movements.
I5 - 2320 @ 3,0 Ghz - 8 GbyteDDR2 1333 Mhz - Geforce 8800 GTS 512 Mbyte - Win 7x64 - Samsung 32" TV HD-Ready
Uomo saggio il cielo aiuta.

Sponsored links

Progressive mode in many games increases the internal resolution, so yeah it can affect graphics output
[Image: newsig.jpg]
(11-24-2012, 11:14 AM)spike1977 Wrote: Progressive scan doesn't affect resolution or graphic , but only gmae movements.

It does. No deinterlacer will be as good as a true progressive material.
(11-24-2012, 12:46 PM)naoan Wrote: It does. No deinterlacer will be as good as a true progressive material.

OK! Listen to me:

Example: Star ocean 3 interlaced: internal res 640x448
Progressive: internal res 640x448 (NOTHING CHANGED)
The only difference is:interlaced mode runs with 25fps/PAL - 30fps/NTSC;
Progressive scan runs an amount of frames equal to video frequency.
Doesn't change graphic quality (just a fluid image with progressive scan)
Yes , more power is needed , but nothing change .
some games change resolution like granturismo 4.
Understand?
I5 - 2320 @ 3,0 Ghz - 8 GbyteDDR2 1333 Mhz - Geforce 8800 GTS 512 Mbyte - Win 7x64 - Samsung 32" TV HD-Ready
Uomo saggio il cielo aiuta.
Sure, okay.

I'll just leave it here and let you figure which is which

[Image: Indian_Head_interlace.gif]

Hint: There is no perfect deinterlacer.
So, I had the same problem with another game, where is was really blurry. It was Disaster Report. What I did to fix it, is go into your video plugin, and where it says "Enable HW hacks" check the box and then go into configure.

Change the "Skipdraw setting" to 1, maybe 2, and test it. Let me know if that worked for you. Cause it sure fixed the blurriness in Disaster Report.
(11-26-2012, 09:38 PM)spike1977 Wrote: OK! Listen to me:

Example: Star ocean 3 interlaced: internal res 640x448
Progressive: internal res 640x448 (NOTHING CHANGED)
The only difference is:interlaced mode runs with 25fps/PAL - 30fps/NTSC;
Progressive scan runs an amount of frames equal to video frequency.
Doesn't change graphic quality (just a fluid image with progressive scan)
Yes , more power is needed , but nothing change .
some games change resolution like granturismo 4.
Understand?

What the hell with "that one person" every week that needs to understand exactly the same issue?

OK I'll make it dumb easy to understand.
PCSX2 is no Dolphin or any PSOne emulator.
There is absolutely NO WAY to FORCE a progressive output when the game gets internaly rendered as interlaced.
You can do that in Dolphin but not in PCSX2 because it's a hardware restriction/oddity. (partially has to do also with the fact that you can't force also Widescreen Mode universaly on all games)
So whatever resolution you set, effectively, you will get the half vertical pixels if the game doesn't render at the momment in progressive mode, so if you set 1280x720 you will (effectively) get a frame of 1280x360 60 or 50 (depends on region) times in one second which will get combined with the deinterlace filter and give a progressive output.
Proof?
Go to Tekken 4/5 that have both progressive and interlaced modes.
Go to a stage that has alot of motion in the background (like Poolside in Tekken 5, the girls on the background are very useful for this test).
Now set your internal resolution to a big resolution over 4x like 3840x2160 or greater than that and set the deinterlace mode to None. (Ignore the lines bug that it will produce, we don't care either way and it's not the point of the test and affects it in no way from the results)
Take a snapshot of that stage with the same fighters first set from the settings in interlaced mode and then in progressive mode.
Compare the screenshots.
See those halos around the models like the presence of the previous frame on the intrelaced mode?
It's not there in progressive.
So in PCSX2 you must ALWAYS set progressive when the game supports it to get out of it the best visual results with zero performance cost.
ok, i used custom res instead of native and if I put the res to like 1024x1024, it looks good but then it runs slow, I know it might just be my computer, but I don't understand how, because I have played games like FF10 and Shadow Hearts Convenant, with perfect visuals at full speed. Is it just because its a tri-ace game on an emulator?
(11-26-2012, 11:45 PM)VIRGIN KLM Wrote: What the hell with "that one person" every week that needs to understand exactly the same issue?

OK I'll make it dumb easy to understand.
PCSX2 is no Dolphin or any PSOne emulator.
There is absolutely NO WAY to FORCE a progressive output when the game gets internaly rendered as interlaced.
You can do that in Dolphin but not in PCSX2 because it's a hardware restriction/oddity. (partially has to do also with the fact that you can't force also Widescreen Mode universaly on all games)
So whatever resolution you set, effectively, you will get the half vertical pixels if the game doesn't render at the momment in progressive mode, so if you set 1280x720 you will (effectively) get a frame of 1280x360 60 or 50 (depends on region) times in one second which will get combined with the deinterlace filter and give a progressive output.
Proof?
Go to Tekken 4/5 that have both progressive and interlaced modes.
Go to a stage that has alot of motion in the background (like Poolside in Tekken 5, the girls on the background are very useful for this test).
Now set your internal resolution to a big resolution over 4x like 3840x2160 or greater than that and set the deinterlace mode to None. (Ignore the lines bug that it will produce, we don't care either way and it's not the point of the test and affects it in no way from the results)
Take a snapshot of that stage with the same fighters first set from the settings in interlaced mode and then in progressive mode.
Compare the screenshots.
See those halos around the models like the presence of the previous frame on the intrelaced mode?
It's not there in progressive.
So in PCSX2 you must ALWAYS set progressive when the game supports it to get out of it the best visual results with zero performance cost.

ok I think I finally understand what you guys all meant by internal res, I circled it in the picture.

So I have to turn on progressive mode to make this all better, unfortunately I don't know how, and what people say doesn't seem to work or I'm not doing it right.

Someone also suggested for me to look at the guide to raising internal resolution, I don't know where that is. If anyone is willing to be kind and put a link to where the guide is or put a video showing how to turn on progressive mode, it would be much appreciated

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Ok, I found the guide for using progressive mode on my own. The game had to be run with the full option and the 2 buttons (Triangle and X) had to be pressed before or as soon as the PS2 logo appeared. But it was still blurry, so I unticked alpha correction and it made everything perfect

Thank you to everyone who replied, really made the game more fun for me

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)