Trying for the Bullseye - Getting more games to run using a "sweet spot" r5334
Aim : To create a common config possible to run the majority of games (at least those that I own) at optimum speed and respectable performance.

This is to say that the config I'm trying to make is to provide the best compatibility between my system (and any similar systems) and PCSX2 setup so that there will be minimum, if at all any, additional tweaks required to make the game playable.

There will always be some notorious games that will be quite stubborn to run properly without intense tweaking, but in general, I believe the majority of games should be able to run using a more simple, single, common, workable configuration, like epsxe (I still use epsxecutor for easier selection, but I still maintain only 2 different configs Most PSX games run perfectly with my default config.)

If I can mange to create a config that plays the majority of games smoothly and effortlessly, future revisions will be easier to handle with the graphics section and maybe audio section, without much trouble.

And I'm sure later revisions of PCSX2 will move more towards this goal.

Using PCSX2 0.9.9.r5334 - compiled on July 3rd 2012

(Full config details and system specs follow the report)

What NOT taken into consideration yet :

a. Graphics Accuracy and Correctness
b. Audio Performance

- I have decided to focus on the speed performance and gameplay smoothness rather than full graphics accuracy or audio lags/stutters.

Games that work well with this single config :

1. Shadow of the Colossus
2. Burnout 3 Takedown
3. Jak 3
4. Beat Down - Fists of Vengeance
5. Metal Gear Solid 3
6. Shinobido - Way of the Ninja
7. Burnout Revenge
8. Colin McRae Rally 3
9. WRC Rally Evolved
10. Final Fight Streetwise

Result and Notes:

All the above produced respectable performance. (Though the PCSX2 window title bar showed FPS more towards 57-60fps, dropping occassionally to 47+fps, I can't rely on the values due to the cycle stealing.) Visually, I'm satisfied with the smoothness and speed.

1. Shadow of the Colossus - played faster and smoother than the WinXP-DX9 based config I posted previously. Even fights with monsters showed consistent speed. Graphics is much, much more improved. No glitches noted!

2.Burnout Revenge : Speed is very good. In fact it becomes a bit "too fast" when on boost. Graphics wise,very good. Sky is plain blue. No artifacts in the sky. BUT the car screens are still corrupted with a purplish hue. The car under parts are still plain blue or purple. Audio : Good - no DJ announcer lag. No "metallic pipe" distortions. Music - occasional incidental lags.

3. Jak 3 : Speed - just like playing in the PS2. Graphics - no artifacts, very smooth scrolling - but the characters' eyes become "empty" - can be circumvented by choosing software renderer when starting and then switch back to hardware by pressing F9.

4. Beat Down : Speed, Graphics and Audio all almost perfect. No glitches or stutters. There seems to be occassional and rare instances of flash slowdowns, but does not deter the total gaming experience.

5. Metal Gear Solid 3 : Excellent! Excellent! Speed, Audio and Smoothness are near perfect! Graphics have some glitches when credits appear on the screen in the beginning and when the time is displayed on screen. The rest of the time, there seems to be a sort of flash or dark flash, which I think easily countered. I haven't yet tried the tweak, but I'm sure it must have been already available.

6. Shinobido - Way of the Ninja : Almost perfect emulation. Full speed. Movies smooth. Graphic glitches : lines in the narrator dialogue box.

7. Burnout Revenge : Full speed. No slowdowns. No Audio Lags. Sky and bottom of cars still have glitches - occasional corrupted skies and blue bottom of cars.

8. Colin McRae Rally 3 : Full speed. No audio lags. Graphic glitches : Vertical Lines in menus and during gameplay. Otherwise very smooth experience. Even refflections on the cars are intact.

9. WRC Rally Evolved : Speed is fluid and smooth. Slight audio lag. Graphic glitches : straks of greenish black flashes on the upper half of the screen - causes substantial distraction in the gaming experience.

10. Final Fight Streetwise : Full speed and smoothness. Audio normal, no lags or stutters. Graphic glitches : In normal story mode, the distant object are "fogged". In arcade mode, there are no graphical errors noted.

I will post more of my findings with other games with this config as I test them.

I hope the developers can get some inputs from my preliminary and rudimentary reports.

As for fellow gamers, I hope those who have a similar system or higher specs, can make use of this report to further enhance their experiences, adjust and tweak the options to get better results, and hopefully will in-turn, post their results to improve the outcome.

This time, I used the Win7x64 Ultimate in my system :

(My previous config focused on Shadow of the Colossus running under WinXP)

System:

ASUS G73JH-A1 Notebook
Core i7 720QM @ stock 1.6GHz running without TwinTurbo Mode
8GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz
ATi Mobility Radeon HD 5870
(Installed OSs : Win7x64-Ult., WinXPx86-Pro., Linux Mint 13 Mate x64 across 2TB HDD)

Program Log:

Host Machine Init:
Operating System = Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit
Physical RAM = 8116 MB
CPU name = Intel® Core™ i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60GHz
Vendor/Model = GenuineIntel (stepping 05)
CPU speed = 1.595 ghz (8 logical threads)
x86PType = Standard OEM
x86Flags = bfebfbff 0098e3fd
x86EFlags = 28100000

x86 Features Detected:
MMX.. SSE.. SSE2.. SSE3.. SSSE3.. SSE4.1.. SSE4.2

GS: E:\Emulation\PS2\DirectX10 Version\plugins\GSdx32-SSE4-r5330.dll Windows 6.1.7601 (Service Pack 1 1.0) ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5800 Series (8.17.10.1083)
PAD: E:\Emulation\PS2\DirectX10 Version\plugins\LilyPad-r5258.dll
SPU2: E:\Emulation\PS2\DirectX10 Version\plugins\SPU2-X-r5317.dll
CDVD: E:\Emulation\PS2\DirectX10 Version\plugins\cdvdGigaherz-r4488.dll
USB: E:\Emulation\PS2\DirectX10 Version\plugins\USBnull-r5319.dll
FW: E:\Emulation\PS2\DirectX10 Version\plugins\FWnull-r5319.dll
DEV9: E:\Emulation\PS2\DirectX10 Version\plugins\DEV9null-r5319.dll

Config:

EE/IOP:

EE : Recompiler
IOP : Recompiler
Round Mode : Chop / Zero
Clamping Mode : Normal

VUs:

VU0: superVU Recompiler [legacy]
VU1: microVU Recompiler
Round Mode : Chop / Zero
Clamping Mode: Normal

GS:

Framelimiter : Disabled
All other options left at default

Frame Skipping : Disabled [default]

Use Synchronized MTGS : Disabled
Disable all GS output : Disabled

GS Window:

(Generally this is more towards personal preference and aesthetics)

Wait for Vsync on refresh : Checked
Dynamically toggle Vsync depending on frame rate : Checked

Speedhacks:

EE Cyclerate:1
VU Cycle stealing: 3
Enable INTC Spin detection : Checked
Enable Wait Loop Detection: Checked
mVU Flag Hack: Checked
MTVU: Checked
Enable fast CDVD: Off

Game Fixes: Off

GSdx:

Direct3D11 (Hardware)
Interlacing : Auto
Custom resolution : 1920 1080
Texture Filtering : Checked (Full On)
Logarithmic Z : Checked (Greyed out but checked by default)
Allow 8-bit textures: Checked
Alpha correction (FBA) : Checked (Greyed out but checked by default)

Enable HW Hacks : On

MSAA : 0x
Skipdraw : 0
Alpha : Checked
Half-pixel Offset : Checked
Sprite : Checked
WildArmsOffset : Checked
Aggreessive-CRC : Checked

Disable CRCs : Off

SPU2-X Settings:

Mixing Settings :

Interpolation: 4 – Catmull-Rom
Disable Effects Processing : Off
Use the de-alias filter : Off

Output Settings :

Module: 1 – XAudio 2, Latency 150ms
Synchronizing Mode : TimeStretch
Advanced : All at default
Audio Expansion Mode: Stereo (none, default)
Use Winamp DSP plugin : Off

Sponsored links

Quote:VU Cycle stealing: 3

don't test more than those 3 games, then Laugh
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
Hi friend .

It is very appreciated that you write the game testing report.I hope you don't mind.I suggest you to place your test results just next to the AIM section.Since setup data,configuation....sections refer as reference data.It will draw less the reader interest.The reader will be boring after reading the totlet paper long messages then come with your report focus.In business reports,it is normal format of reporting and a more vivid way to express your achievement .Great work. Keep it on.
(07-04-2012, 12:46 AM)kamwah99 Wrote: Hi friend .

It is very appreciated that you write the game testing report.I hope you don't mind.I suggest you to place your test results just next to the AIM section.Since setup data,configuation....sections refer as reference data.It will draw less the reader interest.The reader will be boring after reading the totlet paper long messages then come with your report focus.In business reports,it is normal format of reporting and a more vivid way to express your achievement .Great work. Keep it on.

Hi friend! Thanks for your suggestion. I have edited the post as per your advice.

And also added a new game which works flawlessly in this configuration - Beat Down by Capcom.
It's only a sweet spot if you need to tinker for speed, in which case your going to do more anyway if you need to.

The real sweet spot would just be Max Safety if thats a preset name(never used them) with good hardware. But we just tinker to our own requirements.
<REDACTED>
Added Metal Gear Solid 3 to the list of games smoothly playable using this single config.

Result : As smooth as a slithery snake! Impressive. See notes above.
Added :

Shinobido, Burnout Revenge, Colin McRae 3.

All running smooth in the same config.

Please see notes above.
There are countless of reasons why I treat this thread as seriously as I treat youtube videos which have "BEST CONFIG HERE" in the title/description... anyway:
You know why japanese hardware is soo popular?;3 Couse it always have loads of useless settings which all men love to have<3. In other words you're trying to take all fun stuff from yourself. It's sad to look at. [*]
@_@
WRC Rally Evolved added. Result : smooth gameplay, slight "slow playing" audio, some graphic glitches. Please see notes.
one question : how long do you play those games to test them ?
Because you say, "yay ! it works smoothly !", but don't say how long you tested them before they actually start crashing ...
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go