Trying to get the speed right after trying everything
(02-13-2019, 11:34 AM)StriFe Wrote: Which game are you trying to play though?
Quote:isoFile open ok: C:\Users\X\Documents\PCSX2\SCUS_971.99.Ratchet and Clank.iso
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go

Sponsored links

Yeah sorry I don't really look at the log, since you guys ask for it haha, but uhh to OP have you played around with the turbo mode maybe and put it on let's say 50% and pressed Tab or F4?
Yeah, I'm actually kind of confused about all this now because I've done a ton of research in regards to the FX-8350 and PCSX2. Everything I've come across says it's more than enough to do this. Even the dual core FX series is much better than the recommended spec Phenom II for this emulator (which I realize this only runs off of 3 (or 2?) cores and threads max).

It's not just R&C. It's practically every game that isn't super simple (aka worth playing). Sly Cooper, NFS, GTA, RE4, Bully, etc...

And I haven't messed with turbo mode in a while but the first time I tried to get this to work I had, without result. I actually think it made things much, much more unstable regardless of the setting.
Quote:Yeah, I'm actually kind of confused about all this now because I've done a ton of research in regards to the FX-8350 and PCSX2. Everything I've come across says it's more than enough to do this.
a few years ago, maybe it was ok (not "more than enough" since AMD cpus always had a lower STR than intel's) but pcsx2 evolved, you know...
Quote:Sly Cooper, NFS, GTA, RE4, Bully, etc...
those are among the most demanding games around. so it's not surprising...
(02-21-2019, 08:08 AM)jesalvein Wrote: but pcsx2 evolved, you know...

The site should update the recommended specs to an Ryzen 3 then if this is the case then, cause that's the only next higher AMD chips better than the FX series. But you see how this still doesn't make sense? How is it a Phenom can apparently handle this stuff but an FX can't? Even an OC'd one to 4.816Ghz? (stock is 4.2)

(02-21-2019, 08:08 AM)jesalvein Wrote: those are among the most demanding games around. so it's not surprising...

Eh... k but that pretty much sums up the "regular" PS2 game series. If it can't run any of those games it can't run PS2 at all cause that's pretty much the batch of PS2 and what it stands with. I get what you mean though.

I'll just go ahead and add that I ran several RPCS3 games perfectly fine. That being said it's gotta be a setting or something and NOT the hardware.
(02-21-2019, 08:18 AM)Umbra637 Wrote: The site should update the recommended specs to an Ryzen 3 then if this is the case then
recommended specs are quite outdated, yes.
Quote:How is it a Phenom can apparently handle this stuff but an FX can't? Even an OC'd one to 4.816Ghz? (stock is 4.2)
all is a matter of STR phenom II series did have a higher STR than most FX series (bulldozer architecture was insanely weak for emulation, it go better with piledriver)[/quote]
Quote:Eh... k but that pretty much sums up the "regular" PS2 game series. If it can't run any of those games it can't run PS2 at all cause that's pretty much the batch of PS2 and what it stands with. I get what you mean though.
well, you missed a LOT of ps2 game's collection, then.
Quote:I'll just go ahead and add that I ran several RPCS3 games perfectly fine.
okay, and so what ?? Blink
is rpcs3 a PS2 emulator too ?
Quote:That being said it's gotta be a setting or something and NOT the hardware.
No, it isn't sorry for you
Oh, and FYI it's not because of an unstable overclock. I tried everything all over again after resetting the BIOS to default settings.
Quote:okay, and so what ?? Blink
is rpcs3 a PS2 emulator too ?
If my system can run PS3 games which, in theory, should be MUCH more demanding than a PS2 game (I could be wrong) then it should easily run a PS2 game, right? Unless the PS3 emulator doesn't run on only two cores like this one (which I suppose STR would be the factor).
(02-21-2019, 08:31 AM)Umbra637 Wrote: If my system can run PS3 games which, in theory, should be MUCH more demanding than a PS2 game (I could be wrong) then it should easily run a PS2 game, right?
Wrong theory, since your system doesnt run PS2 or PS3 games, it emulates them.
Which means how close the original system's architecture is to a PC architecture is at stake here.
If we follow your theory, your PC shouldn't be able to emulate GC/WII games since basically it's more powerful than a PS2. But I guess you already know you can run Dolphin quite easily with that rig.
Quote:Unless the PS3 emulator doesn't run on only two cores like this one (which I suppose STR would be the factor).
Dunno much about Rpcs3, but it's highly possible it's able to use more cores. (I don't understand your statement about STR, though...)
(02-21-2019, 09:11 AM)jesalvein Wrote: Dunno much about Rpcs3, but it's highly possible it's able to use more cores. (I don't understand your statement about STR, though...)

If Rpcs3 uses more cores then it would be better off with a bulldozer architecture.